Takeoff Data for M20C above 5000 ft.

Steve2019

I have the takeoff data for my 1963 C model that is in the Airplane Flight Manual.  It has data for 5000' and 7500' for takeoff and climb.

I have also flown out of a couple of airports that were above 5000' as well.  What is it that you are looking for?

A few years ago I did a lot of flying from airports at or above 5000' in the Idaho, Montana and Wyoming area.  Truly a different feeling for a flatlander.  My F model POH only goes up to 5000 for take off.  I like the take off configuration note  "Gear down,..."  Yeah think we would need JATO if we tried taking off with the gear up.:lol:

1. Leaning for takeoff power
  2. longer ground rolls
  3. lower climb rates
  4. Flying at 11000 and the rocks still tower above you
  5. Taking off at 9000 and the rocks are still above you
  6. F model data below

image.thumb.png.228b997b2a91771535e157803e4c3bc4.png

• Like 1

Back when I owned an M20C, I was in and out of quite a few airports above 5000 ft. I don't have any hard numbers for you, but there weren't any issues. I was generally at gross weight and flying out of airports with long paved runways. 

FLG - 7014'
WYS - 6649'
BJC - 5673'
APA - 5884'
SAF - 6438'
ABQ - 5355'

On one trip west with my wife, we were debating during the flight where we should stop for the night. We were considering FLG and she was online looking for lodging. It was a warm summer afternoon in July. I told her if we landed in FLG, we were definitely there for the night. The DA on the ground was over 11,000'. I didn't think there was any way we could take off again that afternoon. We landed, spent the night, and took off in the cool early morning easily. 

Taking off out of WYS in the middle of summer, we had to circle the airport a few times to gain enough altitude to get out of the valley and across the high terrain of Yellowstone. But it wasn't a problem.

I don't think my M20C was ever still on the ground at the 3000 foot mark. But I probably wouldn't want a high altitude airport with less than 6000' of runway.

Full throttle, full prop, and keep adjusting the mixture to give you best power and yet stay under 400° or so.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've been in and out of South Lake Tahoe, no issue getting off the ground, just respect your initial climb rate.  Weight of course is not your friend.  But the 20E at gross had half the runway left at 100 AGL (4000 ft), but it was about 35 degrees, so don't know what the DA was.

4 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

Back when I owned an M20C, I was in and out of quite a few airports above 5000 ft. I don't have any hard numbers for you, but there weren't any issues. I was generally at gross weight and flying out of airports with long paved runways. 

It's funny how those of us who did it regularly just treated it as normal.  My first checkout in a C was in July in Colorado. Seemed no different than any other 180 HP airplane to me :D 

Edited by midlifeflyer
  • Like 1

I flew out of KPGA (4100 msl) for over 13 years in my D. We had DAs of over 7500 feet every day in the summer, I went out many times at gross weight. With a 5000' runway its no problem except as noted the climb rate is half or less of what you would expect. Acceleration is ls slower but doable.

I've gone out of Mammoth Mountain in the CA Sierras on a hot summer day. Its 7134 asl.  Won't ever do it again and its 7000+ long.  Same with Flagstaff in the summer.

You just gotta watch the DAs. If its over 8000' DA you might want to rethink when you leave. 

Remember at 7,500 DA you are working with only 75% of your normal rated horsepower for takeoff. 

You HAVE to lean for best power on takeoff or it won't be fun. 

• Thanks 1

Welcome aboard Steve...

See if you can acquire the latest POH for your M20C...

It was printed in 1977... and applies to all M20Cs in their original condition...

The download section has a pretty updated copy....

Your local MSC can supply you with an actual pseudo paper copy, or email you an electronic copy...

All good data to have as reference material...

Compare your ship’s performance against those book values, before using the book values to calculate actual T/O performance...

PP thoughts only, not a CFI...

Always be familiar with the affects of DA on T/O length...  extra important for new plane owners...  the affects of OAT can be as important as altitude... put them together, you may not clear the trees, after loading friends and fuel... :)

Best regards,

-a-

• Thanks 1