Mooney Retrofit Kits

MisfitSELF

10 hours ago, MisfitSELF said:

Ref:  Retrofit_Revised.xls (mooney.com)

Is there a place where you can find pictures and more detailed descriptions or explanations of these retrofit kits?

There's a really good chance you can't even get these kits anymore from the factory, let alone a picture of the kit.

I contacted Mooney after Oshkosh one year.  I can’t remember if it was the last one or the one before.  Anyway I wanted to put in the modern yoke.  They gave me the go away kid you are bothering me price of $6000 or something like that.  I remember that I could buy an entire wing kit from Van’s for the price of a yoke from Mooney.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, AerostarDriver said:

I would simply like the dual brake kits broken out as itemized list and drawings if Mooney is not going to support it.

You might have better luck talking to someone like Don Maxwell who has done may of those dual brake installs. He can probably tell you which parts would have to come from Mooney and which could be sourced from AS or somewhere else. 

You might also try all the usual salvage guys to see if there is ever a Mooney that comes in with right side brakes. They are rare though.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, LANCECASPER said:

There's a really good chance you can't even get these kits anymore from the factory, let alone a picture of the kit.

Seems a shame.  Priced competitively and made available, it would seem that these would make a revenue stream for Mooney while they figured things out.  There's a few items on that list that sound pretty cool but I can't even tell if I really need or want them based on the sparse information and no prices listed.  Why even post this list on your website?  Are you listening Mooney?

For instance, I've been having issues with my RPM gauge -- would one of these retrofit kit tachs be my solution?  I've also been flying a lot with a portable O2 system.  What one of those retro-fit O2 systems be something I should consider?  And the list goes on...

It would help answer these question if they included a photo,  a paragraph or two of description, and an approximate price minus labor.

An established machine business... usually has an ‘after-market’ guy....

He is the guy responsible for selling all the spare parts after the new machines have left the shop...

He can sell an entire machine... one part at a time...

Or in this case... packaged up to meet a specific need... like...

• Modern yokes kit for an M20F...
  • Right side brakes for an M20C...
  • Kits for refreshing worn parts...

After a while... the aftermarket guy has a parts memory that is incredible...  and machine knowledge of the best mechanics...

He knows all of the customers that have ever entered the business... and all the mechanics doing the field work...

And is familiar with the costs and prices of all the bits and pieces...

Also has a way to unload all of the ancient inventory stagnating on the shelves...

Sounds a lot like Dan at Lasar, doesn’t it?

PP thoughts only, just reminiscing...

Best regards,

-a-

I have a 67 M20F and I'd love to have right side brakes.

I have not full looked into the kit but I have heard they are very hard to find/expensive to install

Slowly teaching both my kids with them flying in the right seat.

Not optimal....but if they learn the basics in the right seat they'll do even better when they transition to a cessna to solo and finish their PPL

Most of my time is in the right seat from civilian and military instructing so I actually enjoy flying from the right seat more anyways