Types of carpet from SCS

Mark89114

Decided to spend my stimulus check on something silly and airplane upgrades came to mind......

SCS interiors has 3 types of carpet available, lightweight, nylon and wool with an increasing dollar amount for each one.  I always thought carpet was carpet.....Does anybody have any idea what makes each one better or worse?  It is not an insignificant difference wool almost doubles the cost.  Their website didn't list any differences.

Fly safe.

Mark

• Like 1

I originally ordered the cheaper, nylon carpet but it really did look cheap. I sent it back and opted for the wool and was in heaven once it was installed.

Although I don't agree with the stimulus program, thanks for using it for goods and services - as it was intended - instead of paying down debt, which doesn't help the economy.

Carpet_R.jpg

Carpet_L.jpg

Carpet_Rear.jpg

When I did my interior for my J,  I did a Spatial Interior with Bruce Jaeger and upholstery/carpet at SCS. I also had SCS make floor mats for the front with the logo. Mike Hudyma is your contact at SCS. He’s the president and great to work with: another Minnesotan!

Bruce advised the mid-grade nylon, and I am pleased. Bruce told me the wool is thicker and can interfere with seat tracks and fitment.  The folks at SCS have patterns to fit the short & mid-bodies (they call them ‘long bodies’ to add a little confusion), but I’d get in touch with Bruce on sizing for an R.

21 minutes ago, flyboy0681 said:

I originally ordered the cheaper, nylon carpet but it really did looked cheap. I sent it back and opted for the wool and was in heaven once it was installed.

Although I don't agree with the stimulus program, thanks for using it for goods and services - as it was intended - instead of paying down debt, which doesn't help the economy.

Carpet_R.jpg

Carpet_L.jpg

Carpet_Rear.jpg

I don't see any attachments for the mats. How do you keep them from sliding around?

59 minutes ago, flyboy0681 said:

I think you’re safe to assume 95% of stimmy checks will be used to purchase goods. America, the land of debt, isn’t savvy enough to actually use it to pay down debt. Instead, they will use the funds to purchase foreign goods adding to the record high trade deficit. 

• Like 4

I really need to replace my carpets.  I looked at SCS but the price scared off this CB!

My plan, when I cease being lazy, is to just buy wool carpet from an auto upholstery shop, use the old carpets as a pattern, and stitch on a leather binding.  I believe wool and leather inherently meet the flame test; but, I need to verify if I still need to run the test, or if a log entry that contains "replaced carpet with wool and leather" is sufficient to cover the fire retardancy requirement.

• Like 1

Recently I bought the lightweight carpet from SCS, with the soundproof backing.  It will be interesting to see how it wears- it truly is lightweight and if you hold it up you can see light through the weave...   It came with integral heel pads.   Its an experiment.   The carpet in our bird is really old, worn, and dirty.  Haven't installed it yet.  Waiting for annual to have A&P help with issues around fuel selector.

• Like 1

Well I ordered some samples of the nylon and the wool.  will provide a detailed update when I have in hand.

I was only kidding about the stimulus money, I don't think I will qualify for Round 3.  But who knows.  Mortgaging our kids future for a quick and dirty political points.  

• Like 1

I did the Jaeger interior several years ago installed at Wilmar during the period the airplane was there getting a reseal by the guys at Weepnomore.

Jaeger also did the subcontracting to SCS and I did their full package of interior.  Leather interior - rework upholstery and modifications to foam.  7 leather pouches.  And rugs. I got the recommended rugs which are their high end but nylon rug.  They are perfect for my needs.

E

On 3/15/2021 at 10:54 PM, MikeOH said:

I really need to replace my carpets.  I looked at SCS but the price scared off this CB!

My plan, when I cease being lazy, is to just buy wool carpet from an auto upholstery shop, use the old carpets as a pattern, and stitch on a leather binding.  I believe wool and leather inherently meet the flame test; but, I need to verify if I still need to run the test, or if a log entry that contains "replaced carpet with wool and leather" is sufficient to cover the fire retardancy requirement.

I had the same visceral reaction when I saw the SCS prices. The quality of the samples looked great but I couldn't see paying that much for something that will get heavy wear. I opted for the AirTex version. They provided a basic kit that unfortunately was meant for a 60s version of my F. I called them up and they were more than willing to allow me to submit templates for a better fit.

63025865926__B6A062B3-6B0C-43F9-8D1B-7401017697EE.thumb.jpg.72d2fca3a63dff1c60ff8ecd04f321ab.jpg617859641_62957902001__556ED8AB-EBCB-49F8-A396-51E90729B04C(2).thumb.jpg.35fe84316a9b650e498860065b0c3938.jpg

• Like 2

Just now, Marauder said:

I had the same visceral reaction when I saw the SCS prices.

I got mine during Christmas season, 2018 (I think). At that time I was able to snag a 30% discount from SCS. Without that discount I wouldn't have gone for it.

• Like 2

I cannot remember what the prices were - but I think i also got some kind of discount and further - the whole package, leather upholstery, custom stitching, custom foam lay up to my spec for my long legs, rugs, pouches, was something like 1/2 the price of other leading interior companies, so much so that I was almost worrying it was too good to be true, that while I had never heard of the company at that time, I decided to put my trust in Mr Jaeger who chose them and I knew he would not steer me wrong.  He sure did steer me right.

On 3/15/2021 at 10:54 PM, MikeOH said:

We are a CAR 3 airplane so we don’t need the flammability test, but if you desire one it’s not all that expensive to have it tested.

‘Aircraft I manufactured were CAR 3 and we didn’t do burn tests, but we had almost no interior fabric, I was told at the time, but didn’t verify that if we placarded the airplane no smoking we didn’t need to do the flammability test. One we did was FAR 23 and even though it was required,we didn’t do any burn tests, I guess it just got missed?

‘I’ve since done a little reading and found that if you don’t placard no smoking, then you have to provide a certain number and type of ash trays.

‘But I really don’t think any inspector would ever get that deep in the weeds?

How many smoke anymore?

So in short in my opinion a good high quality automotive interior is very good and legal.

I found this, this guy did his homework

https://forum.shortwingpiperclub.org/showthread.php?3033-Interior-materials-and-regulations

Edited by A64Pilot
  • Thanks 1

Well, I got my samples in....the wool, which is on the top feels much more substantial and durable than the nylon carpet, on the bottom.  It is also slightly thicker, maybe 25%, hopefully that won't cause interference issues.  I am leaning toward wool in the pewter, which is upper right.  I think it will match well with my gray leather, which also needs to be redone...one thing at a time.  

20210323_131309.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I am in the middle of installing a carpet from SCS now. Something I wish I knew before I started: Installing a carpet in a long-body is a lot of work, even with this pre-cut kit. 

Also I ordered some samples from SCS. I went with nylon with the 1/4 inch foam backing. Nylon isn't the sexiest material, but it machted the old carpet, which works with the rest of the interior. Also I think the wool looks good, but it has that vintage/classic look which I personally didn't like for a more modern airplane. Just my opinion though.  I had the vinyl sheet style material installed in my Cessna which was great for a "utility airplane" but also not the right look for a nice long-body IMO. 

First of all, the carpet in my Cessna was all held down with gravity. That is not the case with Mooney. The carpet was all glued down to the floor, and after being pulled up the floor looked like this:

Floor_rear.thumb.jpg.4946046a57ce7b0616359cbcedf3d290.jpg

It took a lot of lacquer thinner and scrapping with a plastic scrapper to get it to look like this:

clean_floor.jpg.9c51eb836ac738400d39d8f60cd7875a.jpg

The next problem is the vertical walls of the baggage compartment are made from foam core poster board that the carpet is glued to. These are not reusable and have to be replaced with plastic backing that is custom cut. 

sides.thumb.jpg.ec295db4eac85a833d83f402f12bbb54.jpg

Here is a detail of how the carpet looks, this is nylon with the 1/4 foam backing. The piece in the middle did not come with foam, so it sits slightly lower. 

carpet.thumb.jpg.70d1572902e8512785c3ea9540044556.jpg

One last shot of the whole carpet:

carpet2.thumb.jpg.67e3e5dc54ba8d18062295e7236daca9.jpg

Edited by dogbocks
  • Like 4

• 1 year later...
On 4/20/2021 at 1:52 AM, dogbocks said:

I am in the middle of installing a carpet from SCS now. Something I wish I knew before I started: Installing a carpet in a long-body is a lot of work, even with this pre-cut kit. 

Also I ordered some samples from SCS. I went with nylon with the 1/4 inch foam backing. Nylon isn't the sexiest material, but it machted the old carpet, which works with the rest of the interior. Also I think the wool looks good, but it has that vintage/classic look which I personally didn't like for a more modern airplane. Just my opinion though.  I had the vinyl sheet style material installed in my Cessna which was great for a "utility airplane" but also not the right look for a nice long-body IMO. 

First of all, the carpet in my Cessna was all held down with gravity. That is not the case with Mooney. The carpet was all glued down to the floor, and after being pulled up the floor looked like this:

Floor_rear.thumb.jpg.4946046a57ce7b0616359cbcedf3d290.jpg

It took a lot of lacquer thinner and scrapping with a plastic scrapper to get it to look like this:

clean_floor.jpg.9c51eb836ac738400d39d8f60cd7875a.jpg

The next problem is the vertical walls of the baggage compartment are made from foam core poster board that the carpet is glued to. These are not reusable and have to be replaced with plastic backing that is custom cut. 

sides.thumb.jpg.ec295db4eac85a833d83f402f12bbb54.jpg

Here is a detail of how the carpet looks, this is nylon with the 1/4 foam backing. The piece in the middle did not come with foam, so it sits slightly lower. 

carpet.thumb.jpg.70d1572902e8512785c3ea9540044556.jpg

One last shot of the whole carpet:

carpet2.thumb.jpg.67e3e5dc54ba8d18062295e7236daca9.jpg

Working on mine right , now trying to figure how to use the Velcro , also mine har Two of these - looks like a strap to loop stuff around . But was not 100% sure

93CCFC74-A963-4E9A-B759-7137723539F9.jpeg