Tire Recommendations

MisfitSELF

I have a 1984 M20J.  My right main tire is almost in need of replacement as it's just shy of being "bald"  and I was looking for the Mooneyspace hivemind's recommendation for replacement of tire and tube.

Also, my left tire is in good shape.  Either previous owners have replaced them separately or always landed right tire first.  However, my A&Ps tell me to always replace the mains at the same time.  And I also understand you should always change the tube when you change the tire.  What do you guys think?

Thanks,

Bruce

Morning!
Michelin leak stop tubes. Goodyear Flight custom 3’s. Or Flight special 2’s. Depending on your budget. Check the ply aircraft spruce is tricky locating the correct ply.  No need to replace the tube if you can track it’s age. I still have a 10y old tube on my airplane. Left main will wear first due to the torque of the engine. Nothing to do with landings. 
-Matt

• Like 2

I replaced both main tires last November. I went with Air Hawks as that’s what was already on the nose. I did choose to replace the tubes at the same time as I figured the current tubes were at least 15 years old. I chose to go with the butyl rubber low leak inner tubes. They cost almost as much as the tire, but thus far, I haven’t had to add any air to the mains, unlike my nose tire. That, to me, is worth the price.

There is no value in expensive tires on planes this light. AirHawks are probably the best value. I tend to get about 10 years out of them. Spend your money on the best tubes. 

BTW: Bald is a problem in car tires but according to the manufactures and the FAA certification aircraft tires are fine until they show cord.

• Like 4

No need to replace both mains unless you’re already doing an annual and have both off and the 2nd will be due soon. 

I know this goes against what most will tell you but the most expensive tire isn’t necessarily the best deal. Which tires to get depends on how you use the plane. If you seldom fly, get the Goodyears. I do think they have better wear resistance from age. 

But if you fly a lot, get the cheaper Air Hawks. Sooner or later you’re going to make a bad landing or cross wind will drag you sideways and you’ll flat spot the tire. This will happen regardless if you have the cheaper or more expensive tires. But it’s a much bigger bummer when it’s the expensive ones. The more expensive ones last more normal landings but not enough more to pay for themselves.

• Like 4

One of my mains is a flight custom 3 and the other is a condor.  As much as a hate to say it because of their political BS last year, the Goodyear has been a better tire and has shown little wear over the last 400 hrs or so of use.

• Like 1

Desser retreads have no durability issues, so maximize tread life and value. Monster retreads for the mains, regular retreads for the nose where wheel well clearance is an issue. 

Michelin Airstop tubes mean you have to check pressures much less

Always change the tube if you change the tire

No clue why you need to replace both mains at the same time

The left should wear a bit faster anyway due to engine torque putting greater pressure on it at takeoff

• Like 1

I like Michelin tubs and tires. They were better ballanced that the GY III's tires I had previously. As for wear Michelins seems to be lasting okay. I do land on shorter strips, and the price i pay because of it is more use on the brake pads and tires.

Just now, Niko182 said:

I like Michelin tubs and tires. They were better ballanced that the GY III's tires I had previously. As for wear Michelins seems to be lasting okay. I do land on shorter strips, and the price i pay because of it is more use on the brake pads and tires.

I was based for ten  years at two different 3000' fields [one obstructed on both ends, one open]. I rarely used my brakes except to slow enough to turn around and back-taxi.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hank said:

I was based for ten  years at two different 3000' fields [one obstructed on both ends, one open]. I rarely used my brakes except to slow enough to turn around and back-taxi.

On a 3000 foot strip maybe thats the case, but on the strips that are from 1800 to 2300 feet, i tend to be on the brakes pretty hard. I try to stop as quickly as possible and try to use the least amount of runway. That with the additional factor of the eagle weighing a good 600 to 700 pounds heavier means my approach speed is faster, and my momentum is against me, hence the reason im pretty hard on the brakes and tires.

Oh, man. Everyone has their favorite :). I have been associated with a number of flight schools over the years. They all told me that after trying everything Goodyear Flight Special IIs were the best value. This included the CB owner in Anchorage that nursed a C-172 with morning sickness to well beyond TBO and wouldn't do pitot static checks because of a loophole legal opinion he got that allows filing IFR for a training flight if you don't actually enter IMC. I don't go through enough tires to have a sufficient database myself, so I just buy FS IIs.

+1 on the airstop tubes for the mains. They don't seem to work as well for the higher pressure nosewheel, but it's still a bit better than the standard tube.

Skip

• Like 4

Most tires wear about the same, so thickness of the tread is a good indicator on how long they will last.

‘The Goodyear flight Special III has the thickest of the non retread tires. If your not the type to flat spot tires, in my opinion stay away from retreads as the sidewalls are old and if your the average person they may crack out due to age before you wear them out, Their niche is flight schools who land a bazillion times a year and may lock brakes every so often.

‘If your based on grass like I am, good tires should never wear out, you won’t replace tires until they age crack

Your supposed to replace tubes with the tires, the theory is the tubes have stretched to fit the old tires and may not fit the new ones, a tube will fail at a wrinkle if there is one.

If budget it the primary driver, there is nothing wrong with Air Hawk’s, but if you paying an A&P to change them, the longer life of the Goodyear FS III may make up for the difference in cost with its longer life.

‘My next mains will be 10 ply Air Hawks, because I have a set, 10 ply because they were for the tailwheel of a larger crop duster. The10 ply’s work fine on my C-140 so I don’t expect any issues with the heavier Mooney.

But don’t buy 10 plies, there is no advantage that I can think of, they must be heavier, by how much Ihave no idea.

Edited by A64Pilot
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, A64Pilot said:

‘My next mains will be 10 ply Air Hawks, because I have a set, 10 ply because they were for the tailwheel of a larger crop duster. The10 ply’s work fine on my C-140 so I don’t expect any issues with the heavier Mooney.

But don’t buy 10 plies, there is no advantage that I can think of, they must be heavier, by how much Ihave no idea.

You do realize that 6-ply tires are specified for our Mooneys?

• Like 1

Just now, Will.iam said:

I thought it was the guy bringing used light bulbs to swap out with the working ones in the FBO restroom. 

Why would I want to trade my used light bulbs for someone else's burned out ones???

Just now, Hank said:

Why would I want to trade my used light bulbs for someone else's burned out ones???

I guess I didn’t state that clearly enough, he was bringing his used “burnt out bulbs” and was taking the restrooms working lights and replacing them with his burnt out bulbs so he didn’t have to go out and buy new ones for himself. I labeled him the cheapest person i had ever seen. 

The TCDS says what type tires go on what plane.   https://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgMakeModel.nsf/Frameset?OpenPage

I have run same set of AirHawks for 5 years with Dresser tubes.  You have put air in them about once a month.  The grumpy IA likes Condors more than AirHawks.   Will probably try them next.

2 hours ago, Hank said:

You do realize that 6-ply tires are specified for our Mooneys?

Yes, and 4 ply for the Cessna, but there isn’t any harm in running higher ply tires, stiffer sidewall and a much greater load capacity that isn’t needed, but no harm. They are more expensive of course so don’t buy higher ply tires than what’s needed as it’s just wasted money. 

4 minutes ago, A64Pilot said:

Yes, and 4 ply for the Cessna, but there isn’t any harm in running higher ply tires, stiffer sidewall and a much greater load capacity that isn’t needed, but no harm. They are more expensive of course so don’t buy higher ply tires than what’s needed as it’s just wasted money. 

You’ll just need an stc to modify the type certificate limitation 

14 minutes ago, A64Pilot said:

The suspension on a cessna is probably a decent amount more durable than on the mooney. I wouldnt run 10 plys on a mooney. I dont think the suspension would handle it very well since theyre a lot stiffer.