4-Point Harness Options

My M20E has had a 4 point harness system in it at least since it was brought back over from Japan in 93 and was listed on the new airworthiness justification (with no defined manufacture, part number or specific 337/STC) at that time. My lap belts were deemed unairworthy on my airplanes last visit to Don Maxwells shop and were replaced with lap belts that are incompatible with the shoulder harnesses. The label on my belts are so warn that I have struggled to find out who makes them and a part number. They look like hooker's but it is completely unknown to me. Has anyone installed the 4 point hooker system in a Mooney and have a 337 for it? Or has anyone tried any other 4 point system with a Y shoulder harness?

Best case I just need lab belts and am looking for suggestions on where to find a set, worst case I need to replace the upper and lower harness which I am also looking for options. The only requirement being that what ever harness has to support a Y style shoulder harness as I only have a single mounting point.

10 hours ago, Ron McBride said:

Can you get the original belts reweb’d? 

For reasons unknown to me the originals were not returned to me. The most recent previous owner actually had the whole front set rewebbed to match the new seats two years ago. However, I believe what made them unairworthy is the PMA tag that was sewn on was becoming "unreadable". 

10 hours ago, carusoam said:

Helps to have a pic if possible...

What is your Y attached to?

Best regards,

-a-

The hardware is similar but not identical to this thread. Rather then the over the shoulder harness in the link, mine are located where the Xs are on the drawing. I don't really have good pictures because everything is out of the airplane currently.

seeking shoulder harness solution - Vintage Mooneys (pre-J models) - Mooneyspace.com - A community for Mooney aircraft owners and enthusiasts

image.png.f0426f635d926458a2eb92e497fec509.png

• Like 1

I’d go back to three, believe it or not but three is safer than four. The reason is your more likely to submarine with a four point,so it’s either three or five.

‘Of all of them I prefer a five, but won’t wear anything myself without inertia reels, so currently I only use my lap belts

2 hours ago, kerry said:

Can't you use something like this. Your lap belt just slides through the hoops.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/harness3a.php

I would love to, however, the stumbling block on solutions like this are "Shoulder Harness Assemblies are non-TSO'd, non-PMA'd appliances and shall not be used on type certificated aircraft."

27 minutes ago, AerostarDriver said:

I would love to, however, the stumbling block on solutions like this are "Shoulder Harness Assemblies are non-TSO'd, non-PMA'd appliances and shall not be used on type certificated aircraft."

I believe if the certified airplane is pre 1978 then your shoulder harnesses can be non TSO'd if it doesn't require a major alteration.  All it requires is a A&P sign off in your log books. 

Visit the hooker harness website for details of what is really required...

hooker has been bringing safety equipment to the world while the FAA has a tendency of accidentally keeping things less safe...

The FAA is improving quickly...

Best regards,

-a-

2 hours ago, carusoam said:

Visit the hooker harness website for details of what is really required...

hooker has been bringing safety equipment to the world while the FAA has a tendency of accidentally keeping things less safe...

The FAA is improving quickly...

Best regards,

-a-

Talked with Hooker, they are more then happy to provide me lap belts. After some chatting, I have elected to go with an all new set of harnesses and redo the 337. Hooker and myself have some questions on the legality of the install but cant quite confirm it due to no logbook entry in english. Honestly, for ~250 bucks a side it is hard not to just replace everything.

• Like 1