GI-275

7 hours ago, CFlyer-MI said:

Does anyone know what the venting requirements are for GI-275 because it has an internal battery?  Do you have to pipe it outside the airplane?

where did you see a venting requirement ?

On 3/15/2021 at 6:58 AM, CFlyer-MI said:

Does anyone know what the venting requirements are for GI-275 because it has an internal battery?  Do you have to pipe it outside the airplane?

The battery chemistry isn't the same as your ship battery. Those are typically lead acid and require venting because they produce hydrogen when they're charged. Batteries for small electronics (like the GI 275) are typically NiMH or Li-ion. Like your phone, they are are sealed and have no venting requirements.

Edited by louisut
  • Thanks 1

On 3/15/2021 at 7:58 AM, CFlyer-MI said:

There are no venting requirements...to which @GeeBeeand others have alluded.  I confirmed same earlier this morning with my shop.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Folks I just spoke with a dealer and they said the GI-275 Battery is TSO 179b Class A-2C.   So it doesn’t require venting but the “C” means the unit doesn’t contain the emissions and it can exhaust gases/fumes if the battery enters a thermal runaway state.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, V1VRV2 said:

The battery in the GI275 isn’t on a charger so how can thermal runaway occur?

great question...

Tried looking for an answer...

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/719027#specs

As far as I can tell... the battery pack can be used while sitting in the hangar...

It has a power monitor...

I assume it is getting power insitu...

Soo...

1) it’s a constantly, smart charging system... when power is available...

2) Any battery can short... leading to thermal runaway...

3) High rates of discharge, or high rates of charging can be bad...

4) I don’t see it being very user friendly if the battery comes out every time it needs to be charged...

Starting an IFR trip on anything less than 100% would get more involved...

What a marvelously complex device...

:)

-a-

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, V1VRV2 said:

The battery in the GI275 isn’t on a charger so how can thermal runaway occur?

The battery is not a pre-charged pack that is good for X months like your ELT.  It is connected to power and does charge, so there is always a possibility the unit or the batter sensors will have issues and over charge. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Always a possibility but rare. Nor is thermal runaway confined to charging. It can happen with rapid discharge too. The last smoking tablet I had was an MS Surface at about 35W. Was not hooked to a charger, but it entered "spinning ball" mode and ended up toast. The GI-275 is like the Anker battery packs, it charges at a very low rate. Because 99% of the time it uses ships power for primary sustenance hard or rapid charging is not necessary.

• Thanks 1