What Percentage of the 252 and Encore Fleet Has TKS?

On 3/15/2021 at 9:08 AM, LANCECASPER said:

The Encore I used to own (with FIKI) had a decent useful load and after the new owner's panel upgrade, vacuum removal, I'm sure it's much better.

But to answer the OP's questions, there are not many that are FIKI. I believe there were only 35 Encores made and I knew of three of them for sure that were FIKI, maybe more. Very few 252 FIKI also, since FIKI didn't come out until the 252 had been out of production for almost 10 years. Adding the $50,000+ was a big chunk compared to the value of the airframe.

N40FM WEIGHT AND BALANCE.jpg

wow, I wish my plane could get injected with a 230 useful load increase.

Just now, Niko182 said:

I wonder if there are any FIKI rockets.

I think the FIKI requires two alternators?  A standard rocket does not have two alternators although I guess one of those smaller alternators that fits on the accessory bay could be put but my guess is it is not good enough for the stc purposes.  Also the two big batteries are nice.  My guess is still not good enough for stc purposes.  Both are good for practical purposes.

I am guessing not - mine is not. Mine is inadvertent tks.  My tks was installed in 1994, before it became a rocket.

Inadvertent serves my purposes - I never have intentions of flying into ice with any single engine piston, fiki or not.  But an inadvertent tks is a legit backup plan just in case and I cannot say how lovely it is for peace of mind flying around up here in the great white north.  Just in case.

• Like 1

On 3/18/2021 at 2:43 PM, aviatoreb said:

Perfect.  Thanks.

That's quite a few.  Does anyone here know how many M20K's there are total?

The M20 Wikipedia page shows about 1,000 between the 231, 252, and Encore. That means that about ten percent of the fleet has TKS. It seems like a smaller fraction of the K's listed on TAP or Controller have TKS; I'm guessing that owners who invest big bucks for systems are more likely to keep their planes long term.

• Like 1