Best Simulator for Garmin 400/500 series?

Hello all,

I am new to simulator world. I have spent a few hours with MSFS 2020 searching for a way to change the display. I do not have a Garmin 1000. It looks as thought there are ways to purchase "mods" or whatever and install them in your "community" file, which I have failed to do thus far. Then I see that some oar of the opinion to scrap MS and go with other vendors. 

1980 K model Garmin 480 with MX 20, FD, pretty standard for the 1980's. So a 430 or 530 works fine,

I it snowing in Denver for next couple of days. Thought I would at least fly a few approaches, Not going to happen at this rate. My son has an up to date gaming computer he is reluctantly allowing me to use until he HAS to have it back. 

I could care less about the bells and whistles. Just pick departure, dest, approaches and go.

Thanks

wj,

We have a few threads around here regarding simulation flights...

But...

Let’s start with what I know...

All version of MSFS going back to the early y2k period have two versions of the Bravo already in it... 

Steam gauges... including the G530...  and the G1000 version....

Select the right plane... go fly...

Then work on the phrase... while I’m paying for your school.... :)

When the kids are grown.... even their laptops use giant two screen hi-def systems...

I tried to get my son to load up MSFS on his latest work computer....   :)

Best regards,

-a-

Thanks,

So true. The latest 2020 MSFS, as far as I can see is all Garmin 1000. A search for "Mooney" brings up nothing. There a zillion youtube tutorials but none I have found that actually show you have to load the Mooney. I also have MSFS 2002, but it will not load on newer machines. I do not need to go with bill gates, just wondering if anyone has a sim up and running with 400/500 that works. 

Tks

1 hour ago, willerjim273 said:

Thanks,

So true. The latest 2020 MSFS, as far as I can see is all Garmin 1000. A search for "Mooney" brings up nothing. There a zillion youtube tutorials but none I have found that actually show you have to load the Mooney. I also have MSFS 2002, but it will not load on newer machines. I do not need to go with bill gates, just wondering if anyone has a sim up and running with 400/500 that works. 

Are you talking about only the default aircraft in MSFS?  Carenado sells a few aircraft with the GNS530, including the Mooney Ovation R

The way my computer runs the MSFS program is through a company called Steam...

Steam is an online vendor that supports all kinds of gaming programs...

So... for about $50... and a quick download... the older version was running...

The 2020 version was also available... probably using the cloud to handle all the great graphics...

https://store.steampowered.com

The inherent details are pretty good... specially for the memory aspect for what button to push when....

As far as the quality of the sim... the flaps don’t cause the nose drop... and a few other things that just aren’t right...

But, setting cloud heights, add some turbulence, work on your scanning skills...  it is a great exercise...

If the version you get has Rod Machado lessons in it... see how long it takes to ace each chapter of the series...

It is more of an exercise in you getting calibrated with it... not very helpful for the real world flying... but a perfect exercise for getting a feeling for procedures...

PP thoughts only, not a CFI...

Best regards,

-a-

Carenado is a third party supplier in the sim world...

They bring tremendous realistic improvements that include a few different Mooneys... and instruments...

https://www.carenado.com/sitecarenado/

Take a look at YouTube they show some nice discussion when the Ovation first came out a few months ago... for 2020.

Every now and then you may recognize some MSers in there...

-a-

wj,

I’ll be here all night for ya...  :)

https://www.carenado.com/sitecarenado/product-category/fsx+p3d+ga/

MSFSX Ovation...

It helps if you can see as far down the road as possible...

You may want to see what the requirements are to run 2020, and standardize on that product first...

MSFSX is kind of like standardizing on a decade old standard...

As you get more serious... you may find the Nvidea graphics card you want to have costs as much as a PC that runs FSX...

-a-

If you are trying to learn the avionics, I would look at sim forums and inquire about the fidelity of the avionics in either the base product or add-ones, I don't know MSFS but, for example the pseudo-Garmins in x-plane do not have full functionality. OTOH, the Reality XP add-in uses the actual Garmin trainer. There are, of course trade-offs.

On 3/14/2021 at 11:06 PM, 0TreeLemur said:

Bitcoin mining.

NVDA sales were through the roof... in the first wave of Bitcoin...

Suddenly, the returns of all the unused cards were flooding the stores...

The price of Bitcoin had dropped making mining too expensive...

One thing has probably changed... the store return policy...  :)

Keep an eye on jr’s electric bill... if he is mining, the electricity use may be expensive...

PP thoughts only, not a Bitcoin user...

Best regards,

-a-

It hasn't been practical to mine bitcoin with graphics cards for quite some time.   Nvidia has released a chip designed for Ethereum mining, which uses a LOT less resources than bitcoin, and they say they did that specifically to keep the crypto miners from interfering with the gamer market.    And that's not bitcoin miners, who long ago moved on to dedicated hardware because bitcoin is so inefficient to process.

X-plane powers some approved BATDs, and is pretty configurable.   My only experience was with a couple of BATDs that I used during my IR training, one of which was based on X-plane and I thought it was quite good and had a wide variety of panel configurations.

• Like 1