Replacement Autopilot

231LV

On 3/23/2021 at 6:54 PM, gsxrpilot said:

You'll be fine. Someday I'll have a GFC500 as well. I'll give up my Aspens but never my IFD540/440.

The Avidyne forum says the GI275 is not included in the STC for IFD 540/440 so avionics shops are unwilling to quote installing them together ATTM. The G5s work with the GFC500 because the IFD series mimics GNS navigators. 

On 3/31/2021 at 5:26 PM, PT20J said:

Garmin has added Bluetooth to a number of newer devices including the GTX 345, the G3X and the GI 275 In addition to the older FlightStream. However, in typical Garmin fashion, not all have the same capabilities. Apparently, the G3X will upload flight plans to the GTN/GNS navigators, but the GI 275 can't. From ForeFlight's website:

You can connect your iPad to the Garmin GI 275 via Bluetooth. When you do so, wireless functions provide GPS position and back-up attitude information to ForeFlight. The wireless flight plan transfer via Bluetooth is available only when the Garmin GI 275 is paired with a GPS 175, GNC 355, or GNX 375.

And NOT the GTN 750.  Ask me how I know.  It's a bit frustrating that I can share flight plans in Foreflight in my friends Bo with a GNX 375 but I can't with my newer and and expensive 750 in my Mooney.

7 minutes ago, MisfitSELF said:

And NOT the GTN 750.  Ask me how I know.  It's a bit frustrating that I can share flight plans in Foreflight in my friends Bo with a GNX 375 but I can't with my newer and and expensive 750 in my Mooney.

That’s because the big G wants to sell you a Flightstream. :angry:

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, PT20J said:

That’s because the big G wants to sell you a Flightstream. :angry:

Avidyne just includes wifi and bluetooth interfaces in their navigators. That means less boxes, fewer wires to run, less weight, and less installation cost.

1 hour ago, gsxrpilot said:

Avidyne just includes wifi and bluetooth interfaces in their navigators. That means less boxes, fewer wires to run, less weight, and less installation cost.

Big G still wants the money but - the original Flightstream 210 was a separate box to install - wires and install et al - but a Flighstream 510 requires essentially no install and zero wires.  It is the size of the data card a micro card that slips into the otherwise data card slot and it serves both roles - memory card and bluetooth flight stream device in one.