Often overlooked filter

5 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

I found 4 brand new ones in the hangar tonight. They look a lot like the top picture. I should order some new, new ones.

Yeah, I purchased 6 seeing how the Mooney and the C-172 uses the same one, shelf life isn’t that great

• Like 1

Somebody was pulling their hair out regarding this challenge... :)

The old ones look like polyurethane foam... sensitive to age and environment...

The fancy new one looks like a different material...

Its not a fine filter...  and certainly better than having the filter that self destructs and goes down stream...

Best regards,

-a-

2 hours ago, carusoam said:

The fancy new one looks like a different material...

Best regards,

-a-

I had a few spares and they turned basically the same color as the ones shown, they were still packaged and kept in a cabinet 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Unit74 said:

They are on my annual squawk list. Not sure why you wouldn’t replace it. Is it a PITA to get to or something?

They are usually at the top of the firewall behind the instrument panel, in a Mooney they can present a bit of a challenge to reach.

Clarence

12 hours ago, M20Doc said:

They are usually at the top of the firewall behind the instrument panel, in a Mooney they can present a bit of a challenge to reach.

Clarence

Absolutely,

I just replaced mine (it was in better shape then the picture you shared) but the pilot's panel is removed for new Audio panel and G5 install so it was easy. Without removing that, access is impossible on my M20F with 201 Windshield installed. I wonder how it's accessed on M20J and later Mooneys.

Edited by Igor_U

If you pull the hose off the valve at the firewall, loosen the check nut and puts the valve toward the instrument panel it helps a bit.  Still a challenge on a Mooney.

Clarence

37 minutes ago, M20Doc said:

If you pull the hose off the valve at the firewall, loosen the check nut and puts the valve toward the instrument panel it helps a bit.  Still a challenge on a Mooney.

Clarence

I was doing exactly that, loosening the nut to get enough clearance to get the filter changed.  When I had some avionics work done, a wire bundle was run above the vacuum regulator, which I thought the spacing was a little tight.  I thought about putting some chafe protection on it, but instead, I cut off a piece of copper pipe I had in work order residue to make a short spacer and slid it over the regulator threaded stem going through the firewall.  Now I can change the garter filter without loosening the nut.

Yes, I’d really like a 201 windscreen, but I cannot bring myself to give up the access.

image.thumb.jpeg.dfd97be27b5d5498af0d3fad2de0289d.jpeg

• Like 1