Where are you flying this Weekend (Nov 11-13)

DrBill

Just glad to not be flying Delayed on some airline in seat 23B this weekend, even if it means not flying at all. 

Sitting here counting down the days till I get my airplane back, and 12 days until I'm a homeowner (Short sale has taken forever). No more living in hotels or renting rooms from friends. Gonna be a happy camper in Florida come December. :)

Just a cautionary tale for any and all VFR fliers on this site:  PLEASE, please use Flight Following and respect the weather!

I'm a rank amateur.  Chose not to fly this past weekend to Las Vegas to connect with my commercial flight; some spotty weather forecast for my area.  Driving back from Vegas 150 miles, I noted the atypically low ceilings, and rain for >70 miles.

The local newspaper today carried the story of a local family that crashed their 182 en route back to my town that same evening. No flight plan filed; no tower communication; no Flight Following.  Storms en route. It might have been equipment failure, or wind shear, or get-there-itis: but one thing's for sure, a couple and their adolescent son are gone, and possibly could've either made it or scrubbed the flight with some outside input.  A tragic shame made worse by potential avoidability.

Most of the pilots on Mooneyspace vastly exceed my experience, and hardly need my advice nor oversight. I really felt the need to share this, however. Their loss is irreparable. Our losses are avoidable.  Use the supports at hand, and don't gamble on questionable conditions. Bold, & Old don't mix.

This is going on this weekend.   http://www.pioneerflightmuseum.org/

http://pioneerflightmuseum.org/aerodrome/index.shtml

Kingsbury is near Seguin, TX, in the San Antonio area. The weather forecast is SKC SKC SKC.

We landed the Mooney at Kingsbury 85TE  on the way to the MAPA convention in Kerrville, and it is Mooney proofed.  We didnt use half the runway, either.    

Nov 11-13, 2011

ATL area to HEG in the Jacksonville area.  Twenty-some knots of direct tailwind on the way down.....We'll see what happens for the return on Sunday!

Over 5 hours by car.  Fltplan.com says under 1+30 in the Mooney and only about 14 gallons!