Interior Pre-heater

squeaky.stow

Yeah, I know. Kind of late to be putting in a pre-heater.

I picked up a 750/1500W quartz heater at the local hardware store for $25. It has overheat shut-off and a tip-over kill switch. 
I didn’t like running an extension cord through an open door or baggage hatch because I worry about mice moving in so I made this adapter for the pilot’s no-draft window. Cost me all of $2.99 for the plug. Used scrap 1/8” MDF cut with a jigsaw and an old extension cord. It’s plugged into a wifi outlet so I can turn it on from home.

Do I qualify for the CB club now?

54BD0B12-02BE-464F-8CFE-D4C20EFA4F40.jpeg

454419C5-A304-4E74-A5D6-169C68832F1B.jpeg

416F91EC-1CAB-43DB-9306-16C3181904C3.jpeg

• Like 5

I have been using these heaters (and the previous generation) inside the cockpit for 20 years. They run cool on low and really help for cold morning departures.  I use high density foam cut to that size and stick the heater cord through, not nearly as fancy as yours. 

13F546CC-6CA6-4816-8026-216564221F53.jpeg

• Like 1

I like this approach. 

I used one of the spare radio cooling duct ports inside the top of the NACA duct on the passenger side to hard wire an extension cord into the cabin as I park outside and have a heater and dehumidifier in the cabin.

The plug is super short and just tucks into the NACA duct when flying. Seems to work well.

I have been using the same cheap heater for years but I simply remove the heat rest from the back seat, place the heater on low on the metal u-shaped head rest holder and run the cable from the baggage door (resting on the cable, not locked). I run it when I get to the hangar. The time I load stuff and do my pre-flight the cabin is nice and warm.

I've used a cell switch to turn on an interior heater and the engine heater for years with no problem in the winter.  I turned it on a few hours before heading off to fly.

Several months ago, I decided to leave the heater on constantly in the interior to keep the gyros happy.  It only took 2 weeks for mice to invade their new warm happy home.  Chewed the pitot cover, cowl cover, kleenex box and paper towel roll.  Will do a more through check in the spring.  Several nests.  I set up traps and warfarin everywhere and stopped using the permanent heater.  I now seem to have caught or killed all the little buggers.

Use caution.

• Like 1

I've just been running the chord through the door and shutting it as well as I can.  Keep the cockpit nice and warm, and keeps my avionics warm.  I should have started doing this years ago. And I got a tip on the heater to buy right here on Mooneyspace.

Edited by steingar
  • Like 2

I’ve found the best way to deal with the cold is to move to Arizona. 
Joking aside, when in Denver, APA (outside under a shelter) I would plug in the Tanis (oil pan pad and each cylinder) heater the night before. Then use a hot air through the cowl flaps in the morning.  Never really felt the need to preheat the interior. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 8 months later...
6 minutes ago, FlySafe said:

You guys are Great, thank you for all the tips, i"ll explore the door option and or the trans cabin heater install.  Thank you!!!!

My C has plenty of previous holes in the firewall that now contain plugs (e.g. that scary fuel containing pressure line removed after install of JPI, vac pump lines after removal of vac system).  I bet it would be pretty easy to use that to run a cord through and seal around it with Permatex gasket maker. 

That conversion of the pilot window looks like more work and is also aesthetically challenged ;)

There are also flat power cords that you could close the cabin door over if you want to go that route.

• Like 1