Replacing key/ignition switch with Electroaire EA 15000 Ignition Switch in 1980 M20K

lvpazik

A&P has Electroaire ignition switch wired up, replacing keyed ignition switch. Does anyone have a schematic on how the tach wire is attached/routed to the magneto wire? Additionally, are there any resistors that need to be put within that part of the system, in case the tach shorts out, preventing the magnetos from being grounded by a bad tach?  All and any help/schematics appreciated.

I know there is a first for everything...

Has anyone experience their mags being grounded by a bad tach?

There may be  something written about selecting the proper resistor for getting the data picked up properly...

Did you get the electronic mag to go with that switch?

I’m kinda new here... some questions can be more difficult to understand...  :)

Best regards,

-a-

product name spelling makes the search a bit tougher...

https://mooneyspace.com/search/?&q=ignition switch&search_and_or=and&sortby=relevancy

Some of the new electronic/digitial tachs/RPM isntruments use resistor isolators to dampen the signal going into the unit - like the Electronics International R1 and MVP-50 - buts thats because they pick up their signal off the p-lead at the ignition switch. Replacing the Bendix Key ignition switch to the Electroaire switch isn't going to change anything providing its wired identically the way it was to the Bendix Switch - just moving wires to new switch.

Unless I am missing something I don't see any reason why one would need to make changes just for swapping out the ignition switch.

---- unless you are referring to the initial install of the electronic ignition  with it connecting to a digitial tach like the EI R1 or MVP-50 - in which case yes, the isolator resistor values are likely going to need changing but this depends entirely on which electronic ignition and which tach and its best to call technical support guys for your tach - but often it requires some experimenting if it is a Surefly ignition. 

Edited by kortopates
  • Like 2