A G1000 question

Hello Mooney People

If you use a G1000 system I have a question. Trying to update data from FlyGarmin , I can never update the "nav" database. No trouble with all the other databases but

understand that the" nav" SD card does not go in the MFD lower slot. I can put it on an SD card but cannot seem to load it into the G1000.   Can anyone tell me?

Garmin tech support is no help.

Thanks

Alan

N913ND

I load the navigation db on a low capacity SD card (the G1000 doesn't seem to be able to handle high capacity cards), then put it in the top slot of the mfd, power up, it loads, power off, then repeat in the top slot of the pfd. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, TGreen said:

I load the navigation db on a low capacity SD card (the G1000 doesn't seem to be able to handle high capacity cards), then put it in the top slot of the mfd, power up, it loads, power off, then repeat in the top slot of the pfd. 

Some more details on NavData SD cards:

• I use standard 2GB SD cards
  • They must be FAT32 formatted
  • Do not use the Garmin database (Terrain, Obstacles, SafeTaxi, ..) SD cards

Al also be careful not to mix or make a error of the data to be installed ie, just Nav data on the top and on the  on the bottom “Garmin card”, Sometimes the top generic sd card may get messed or something made it not work, there cheap I keep a couple 4g cards. Be careful downloading to the cards so data doesn’t get cross filled. Think air up top ground down below, being nav data is used in full flight and ground, bottom card, in ground data ie, approach’s taxi terrain etc. good luck.

I update everything on the same 2 "lower" cards.  (I swap between the 2 OEM Garmin 4GB and 2 Sandisk 4GB)  I keep image copies (via dd) In case there is a file system corruption, it can be restored from the image as it came from Garmin.   You do not have to follow garmin's method unless you want one special feature. 

The only difference between the PFD and MFD cards are that if you have Flight charts, they only need to be loaded on the MFD card.  They will be ignored on the PFD card.  I no longer pay for Flight Charts as I never used them, and only use Foreflight for approach charts. 

When new nav data is loaded, on boot the PFD and MFD see the nav_db2.bin  file.  and ask you to load it.. This copies the data from the SD card into internal flash, and upon the end of the loading process the SD card nav information is never used again. 

When the system boots fully, it verifies and uses the Terrain, SafeTaxi, FlightCharts, basemap, Airport directory From the corresponding lower cards. 

The only feature you loose is that If you load a future database (not yet valid) into the top card spot with a valid bottom card, garmin will allow you to position the new DB in a "next-up" location on the lower card for transfer after the Thursday morning cutover time.  I see no point in this feature for us, perhaps it is for part 135 where an A&P is supposed to do the DB updates, and then the flight crew needs the new Thursday data when away from home base.   I just put in the new cards for the 1st flight after Thursday morning. 

The latest systems V14.x also allow you to only update the Terrain, ST, FC, BM, AD in the MFD and have the GDU's sync the data from the MFD to the PFD card automatically.   As this takes so much time (people say 30 mins?).  it is just easier in 2 display systems to just have 2 sets of cards.  Perhaps in the 3 display systems it would be of use. 

A 4GB FAT32 card sits in the MFD upper slot for the checklist and data logging. . Every 3-4 months I will upload that data to Savvy (sooner if I had an issue to diagnose)  Otherwise I don't touch it. 

Please don't reply back with "garmin says"... I know what garmin says.   I am just saying "this is what I do"  nobody else has to do it. 

• Like 2

Hey Paul I never sent in my data to Savvy, what is your procedure to accomplish this, and this is a dumber question can you log data without the top right card in I guess not unless there’s a magical way to get it back on the sd card.

12 minutes ago, Danb said:

Hey Paul I never sent in my data to Savvy, what is your procedure to accomplish this, and this is a dumber question can you log data without the top right card in I guess not unless there’s a magical way to get it back on the sd card.

Dan,

You can go to Savvy's website and sign-up for a free account. You then upload data when you feel like it and get to analyze a gazillion different ways. Top MFD card, I use a 8GB SanDisk card there which also has the checklist (which I never use - use laminated paper one instead).

https://www.savvyaviation.com/savvyanalysis/

Robert

• Like 1

wrt to the OP's question:

I use 2 Garmin original 2GB SD cards and a 3rd 8GB SanDisk SD card.

At update time I load/update everything on all 3 cards. The Garmin SDs go in the bottom PFD and MFD slots. The Sandisk card (where the data gets logged and where the checklist lives) goes in the MFD top slot.

Works like a charm :)

Robert

The power of MS is awesome!

:)

Dan,

When you get the JPI data out... and loaded to Savvy... remember to click the share button

We can look at some things that are available...

We do this about once a month around here...

The JPI data and the pics of your valves would go well together...

Best regards,

-a-

23 hours ago, Danb said:

You must have the top right "checklist" card in.. it logs the data in real time directly to the card.    I have a 4GB card there... you will never fill the card up. 

• Like 1

On 3/10/2021 at 9:27 PM, Alan Maurer said:

Hello Mooney People

If you use a G1000 system I have a question. Trying to update data from FlyGarmin , I can never update the "nav" database. No trouble with all the other databases but

understand that the" nav" SD card does not go in the MFD lower slot. I can put it on an SD card but cannot seem to load it into the G1000.   Can anyone tell me?

Garmin tech support is no help.

Thanks

Alan

N913ND

If you want the "Nav data base" to load on power up, two things must occur. You must put the card in the top slot, then power up and the card must contain a complete data base with updates in cycle. If not you must select "download entire data base" rather than "update existing data base". To update an existing data base, you must have the last data base on the card.

You can also load a data base on the lower card. This is called the "dual data base feature". You can for instance download a data base a few days early, and hold it in the bottom card until the effective date. From the Garmin manual:

"The dual navigation database feature allows each display to store an upcoming navigation database on the bottom SD card so that the system can automatically load it to replace the active database when the new database becomes effective (the next cycle becomes available seven days prior to its effective date).
If a navigation database loader card is inserted into the top SD card slot of a display, and an SD card is in the bottom slot, the system will prompt the user (upon on-ground power up) as to whether the database should be stored on the bottom SD card as the standby database. If the user responds affirmatively, the system will copy the navigation database from the top SD card to the bottom SD card. As long as the bottom SD card remains in the card slot, this standby navigation database will be available for the system to use as the active database as soon as it becomes effective.
The system checks the active and standby databases upon (on-ground only) power-up. If the standby database is current and the active database is out of date, the display will upload the standby database into the active internal database location. Uploading the standby database to the active location takes approximately 45-55 seconds. The pilot is alerted that the update is complete by a system alert message, ‘NAV DB UPDATED’."

My suggestion to you is to download the entire nav data base, not an update to two cards and place them in the upper slot before powering up the units. Then power them up and select them. In the future, download everything to the lower slots early, then select them on the day of effectivity.

• 1 year later...

Everything works great on mine most of times... From time to time it doesn't. 

I religiously follow the steps by step Fly Garmin for Windows software update procedure and update only the two (top and bottom)  MFD cards in the sequence prescribed.

The DB's (I select update only) load on the two SD cards no problem. I never removed the bottom PFD card.

When in the airplane. Master switch off. I insert both SD cards in the MFD. When I turn on I follow the instructions on the PFD and MFD to update to the new DB cycle. 

From time to time terrain DB doesn't seem to load correctly. I get an error message and also a small (one inch square or so) red on black  X on the side of the altitude tape on the PFD as well. This is not what I see the G1000 handbook.

SVS in this case also doesn't load. 

What I do then is I switch master switch off and wait a few seconds before turning on again. At this point most of the times everything loads correctly and works. 

The second and minor problem that I have is that I have NEVER been able to get the MFD to read the checklist file on the top card. I must be doing something wrong for sure.

Any suggestion to fix/improve? Thanks!!

On 7/22/2022 at 2:07 PM, Healthpilot said:

The second and minor problem that I have is that I have NEVER been able to get the MFD to read the checklist file on the top card. I must be doing something wrong for sure.

What is your software version and what is the name of the checklist file?... They had to be renamed between -30 and -32 (or between two versions) 

And, if the card is not properly ejected it can be corrupted and won't be available for load.  Depending on just what was changed some things work.. others don't,   I just do a complete re-load of all of the current databases and make sure that you eject properly. 

5 hours ago, PaulM said:

What is your software version and what is the name of the checklist file?... They had to be renamed between -30 and -32 (or between two versions) 

And, if the card is not properly ejected it can be corrupted and won't be available for load.  Depending on just what was changed some things work.. others don't,   I just do a complete re-load of all of the current databases and make sure that you eject properly. 

Hi Paul,

The file is a ".ace" created with the Garmin Checklist editor 2.30.  Does the actual name matter?

I tried saving it with multiple different names like: Ovation3_M20R.ace I think but the system doesn't seem to find it and upload it (saved on top MFD card).

My G1000 version 0401.34

Thanks for your help!

10 hours ago, Healthpilot said:

The file is a ".ace" created with the Garmin Checklist editor 2.30.  Does the actual name matter?

yes, the actual name matters.   The names are listed in service bulletin M20_306B

4. Highlight file and rename according to the Models listed below: (see FIGURES SB-306-3 & 4)

1. a.)  M20M (or M20M.ace)

2. b.)  M20R_Ovation2GX (or M20R_Ovation2GX.ace)

3. c.)  M20R_Ovation3 (or M20R_Ovation3.ace)

4. d.)  M20TN (or M20TN.ace)

I would try #3... then #2... depends on your splash page and if the RPM limit goes up to the 2700 Ovation3 limit.  (remember to properly eject the SD card after each update)

• Thanks 1