Tire care

bradp

hey all -

Ive always been hesitant to use most of the off the shelf tire protection salves with my experience being if you’re not slathering it on every week or so, it leeches out whatever oxidation inhibitors are baked into the sidewall and you end up prematurely causing cracking and dry rot  

Are there any that truly work to prevent oxidation and IV damage? Thinking automotive as well as my Mooney tires.  

Thanks much

My favorite stuff to spray on my tires was armorall....

On the cars, excess/overspray lubricated the rubber tread enough that it was easier to spin the firebird’s tires... :)

On the plane, the tires are a porous rubber on the surface... the armorall goes on, turns whitish, and doesn’t give the shiny look that the firebird got... :)

The nose wheel doesn’t get much sun protection when parked outdoors...

So...

There are a few different suppliers of UV protecting tire sprays... try a small spot at first... in case it turns the whole sidewall into a whitewall...

Look for one that says goes good with tubed tires...

PP thoughts only, not a polymer chemist...

Best regards,

-a-

10 hours ago, carusoam said:

PP thoughts only, not a polymer chemist...

Best regards,

-a-

@carusoamWhat do you do for a living?  I want to create a post where you end your response with "As a matter of fact I am a ......"  So far we have a nice long list of what you are not.  :D:D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, Greg Ellis said:

@carusoamWhat do you do for a living?  I want to create a post where you end your response with "As a matter of fact I am a ......"  So far we have a nice long list of what you are not.  :D:D

Go, Anthony! He's my hero, he doesn't do so much!!  :D :lol: :D

and still keeps a long body Mooney, too . . . .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/10/2021 at 6:24 AM, Greg Ellis said:

As a matter of fact, he is THE AMBASSADOR of Mooneyspace.  If you look in Websters [or even Wikipedia] under Mooneyspace Ambassador, you'll see his photo next to the description!  :)

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, MooneyMitch said:

As a matter of fact, he is THE AMBASSADOR of Mooneyspace.  If you look in Websters [or even Wikipedia] under Mooneyspace Ambassador, you'll see his photo next to the description!  :)

He was MVP at Oshkosh. Folks were thanking me for bringing him there. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1