Building T Hangars

We were recently informed that our landlord at the local airstrip was effectively doubling everyone’s rent in the POS powerless, constantly flooding hangars that they operate. A group of us renters are contemplating a hangar LLC formation to try and build some and alleviate some of Nashville’s hangar shortages. Has anyone else looked into doing something like this and what was your experience. I’ve looked at the airport land plan and minimum standards and am not worried about those aspects. We more than likely would need to pour a pad for the new location and tie into a taxiway. 

• Like 1

There are a few hangar builders around here...

Of different varieties...

One large EAA hangar in the UP....

Somebody detailed building a row of T-hangars @NJMac (?) might remember the thread...

Then there are the ones that got a house built and attached to the hangar...   (my dream hangar)

Best regards,

-a-

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, carusoam said:

Somebody detailed building a row of T-hangars @NJMac (?) might remember the thread...

Not me. But coincidental that this pops up.  Commercial real estate is my game and I figured T hangars would go along with bare commercial flex space that I've focused on. So I offered to foot the bill for new swanky T hangars at my FBO.  There's a personal motivation involved, of course.  Dorkface hasn't even responded to the email with that offer. Ugh. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
22 hours ago, Jim Peace said:

Can someone please build a bunch here at Spruce Creek Airport...No matter how many you build they will rent out or sell....

If all the RVs, golf carts, and other clutter were removed from the hangars there'd be plenty of space for airplanes... ;)

31 minutes ago, SoccerCA said:

If all the RVs, golf carts, and other clutter were removed from the hangars there'd be plenty of space for airplanes... ;)

There are so many non hangar home owners with airplanes...Or people who would buy a plane if they could get a hangar...

There has got to be a better way....

I also do not agree with the POA allowing people and companies to come in and use the hangars for non aviation use...

Or that the POA allowed a monopoly on the fuel sales...that was a total NJ move...should be investigated.

• Haha 1

NJ uses a lesser known technique for keeping things in hangars that are not airplanes...  we have rental storage units in the center of every town...

It is a law of finance...  500 for a hangar... or 100 for a storage unit...

I would put the O in a storage unit if I could drive down the street a mile....   :)

PP thoughts only, not a commercial real estate guy...

Best regards,

-a-

7 minutes ago, carusoam said:

NJ uses a lesser known technique for keeping things in hangars that are not airplanes...  we have rental storage units in the center of every town...

I would put the O in a storage unit if I could drive down the street a mile....   :)

Best regards,

-a-

Around here, prices are reversed . . . . . Storage units are sometimes beside or across the street from the airport. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, carusoam said:

Best regards,

-a-

The usual issue is that the hangar is ~$300-$400 and equivalent storage space at a storage facility will be quite a bit higher than that.   Sure, $100 for a unit, but that's about 1/10th the space of a hangar.

There are a few airports around here that are private or private-ish that rent hangar space, and it's pretty typical that they're full of furniture and cars and other crap.   There might be an airplane in there somewhere, but it can't get out.

I'm glad for the airports that enforce their hangar rules.   Otherwise the waiting lists would be decades long, like they are in a lot of places that don't enforce.

• Like 3

I’d suggest to @Mike Athat he engage a real estate developer to make this happen.  It’s what they do.  Navigating the entitlements process is doubly difficult with the layered authorities at an airport, though the actual construction is really simple.

The bigger the project, the higher the likelihood of success.  There is one near my home that is very successful.  Maybe use this as a model? https://www.skyhavenofaurora.com

-dan

Edited by exM20K

Does the airport take ANY federal funds? If so Federal rules apply for use of hangars 

Some items to consider-

How far and how much power to run the each hangar? Winter heating needs?

Due county regs require fire sprinklers in the hangars? Times and requirements change for a "new" build.

How about water and sewer requirements?

FAA does not now pay for tie into taxiway or pavement support for that portion as time goes on.

Check taxiway width requirements for planning purposes. The FAA has certain requirements regardless of wingspans contemplated. Same with weight bearing requirements of pavement.

You mentioned flooding. So when you add all the asphalt and square feet of roofing on the hanger that’s a large area that storm water cannot soak into the ground and must run off/ drain somewhere. I have a friend that owns his own airport and considered building additional hangers. He did not .. He mentioned
regulations are a major hassle these days and mentioned storm water run off as a issue.
Now the hangers that are at this airport were built with no permits in the 70’s Another close friend I used to fly with put together a group of investors that were local pilots that wanted new hangers and got a 30 year lease on a FAA funded airport. First step was to bring a rough proposal to the airport board at the monthly meeting. I think they were successful selling the plan is because the airport takes ownership of the hangers at the end of the lease. In this case the lease was extended once. They still have a condo association that collects for taxes, grass cutting and snow removal. These hangers have individually been sold over the years. ( I owned one with partners) Value is mostly based on the years left on the land lease. Anyway the airport board is the key to getting started assuming it’s not a private airport.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk