Mooney pilots who glide

RobertGary1

12 hours ago, Robert C. said:

The next day he saw me climb out of a Ka-13 with a passenger and went just about apoplectic thinking I'd just gone and was doing passenger flights without the appropriate endorsement

Haha, reminds me of asking a stranger (a radio amateur) if I can fly a single seat club glider that I booked for the morning while visiting a gliding site in Portmoak, Scotland, he said YES it’s available 

The gentleman at the office who did my site briefing, took my details and told me “all ok, just to speak to the guy with the radio at the winch launch point”, ask if you can take the glider for the morning, and that’s what I did :unsure:

I got load of bollox from the local CFI after I landed: the glider did not have a radio and no one said I should be back or come to wave for me, so I had enough of ridge soaring :lol:

Now I ask everybody to confirm their names & titles ! 

Edited by Ibra

12 hours ago, Robert C. said:

To this day, even in my Mooney, I use my ears as much as my eyes during phases of flight where airspeed (and rpm) matters.

Yes, same here.

BTW... in hang gliders you can often smell the thermals. I'm not sure if you get that inside the glider canopy. 

On 3/8/2021 at 2:38 PM, Schinderhannes said:

I have about 1,500 hours in gliders and used to fly a lot of competitions. Unfortunately I haven't had the chance to do a lot of glider flighting in the last 20 years and I really miss it. Currently I am seriously considering trading the Mooney for a RF10, Taifun 17E, or Grob 109B. Anybody interested? The picture was one of my most memorable flights during a 2017 vacatio n in Chile. The mountain in the background is Aconcagua, with 22,837ft the highest mountain in the Americas.  

image.png

I have a client who is the widow of a deceased local pilot. The estate has a Pipistrel Sinus 912 for sale. https://www.pipistrel-usa.com/sinus/

1 hour ago, gsxrpilot said:

in hang gliders you can often smell the thermals. I'm not sure if you get that inside the glider canopy

You can but in open cockpit gliders (e.g. T21) when thermaling over burning fields but not too close with wood & fabric :P but vintage gliders still have some inertia, which is nowhere the kind of thermal abuse & kicks you would get in para/hang gliders !

Edited by Ibra
  • Like 1