Oil filter cutting hack

Hey guys, I thought I would upload this simple hack. Most portable/handheld Garmin units come with a yoke mount.  Mine sat on the shelf until now.  This aluminum yoke mount can be used as a oil filter cutter.   All you need is the little cutting wheel and this one dollar packet of hardware from Lowe’s.    It works just as well as the $100 cutters out there.  

39CAC344-B75D-4F90-A6CE-16EC6216B7BA.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Do you have a video or photo of this in action?

It looks like a really clever idea, and I have one of those yoke mounts just sitting in my basement gathering dust.  But I'm having trouble understanding how you set the oil filter into the clamp in such a way that the cutting wheel rotates around the part of the filter you want to cut while applying pressure via the screw knob.  The setups I'm visualizing would "grind" rather than slide/rotate, and that just seems like it wouldn't work very well.

So you use a vise to hold the filter by the nut end with the threaded end pointing up vertically.   You put this device on top so it is resting on the rubber gasket seal and the cutting wheel pointing down so it is next to the filter side wall.   You use the threaded knob to tighten the clamp against the threads of the filter until just a little pressure is on the cutting wheel.   Spin the device around the filter a few times.   Usually just some of the white paint comes off..   continue doing this process and gradually tighten the threaded knob little by little each time.  

If still confused, I’ll post a video next week.