What are my options for replacing exhaust tailpipe? '76 M20F

Found this crack in my exhaust tailpipe and I was thinking it shouldn't be too expensive to replace...but as with anything in aviation, they are out there are charging an arm and a leg for something like this new! The pipe is too old to be welded (asked that question) and for most things i'd  be willing to spend the money, but a metal pipe...really? Any suggestions or any tailpipes laying around?

File_000.jpeg

Edited by Prestonalton

Its not that its too old to weld that, but an exhaust welding/repair shop would replace the entire bend section from the existing seam. If the straight portion behind that was worn to thin, then they would also replace that section as well, and you might well have a completely new section of exhaust. But these repairs are generally always cheaper than buying new exhaust sections.

If you have time to ship it out, I suggest sending some picture to Clinton here at http://www.customaircraft.com/ he would really need to see the rest of the exhaust to be sure, but I haven't seen any job he couldn't do and is one of the best in the industry. But he can't give you an 8130-3 back with it, so your A&P or IA would have to bless the end result. 

• Like 1

Preston,

Do a search on exhaust system OHs around here...

There are a few places that essentially rebuild what you have from new pipe parts...

It gets technically called an OH when it is done...

Unfortunately, I think we may have lost one of the suppliers recently...

This will give you the background to follow the guidance from Paul above...

With a crack that big, did you get any alarms from your CO detector?

Best regards,

-a-

8 hours ago, carusoam said:

With a crack that big, did you get any alarms from your CO detector?

Nope, the crack is outside the aircraft. Which is why I was wondering if I could just cut it right there at the crack, but my mechanic said that would be "modifying the aircraft"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Prestonalton said:

Nope, the crack is outside the aircraft. Which is why I was wondering if I could just cut it right there at the crack, but my mechanic said that would be "modifying the aircraft"

Modifying the aircraft is allowed, and there are major and minor modifications.    It might be a considered a "change to the basic design of the...exhaust system", which would make it a major modification and require a 337 form.

However, moving the outlet further up will swirl the exhaust to potentially different places than it was going before, which could mean more intrusion in the cabin.   If you have a CO detector it could be something you could monitor.

I think a repair or replacement is the better bet, and should be doable.  It shouldn't be too tough to find a fabricator than can replace the failed part or duplicate the entire tailpipe.   It can be done as an owner-produced part or your A&P can take it somewhere and "supervise" the repair.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Captnmack said:

Do yourself a favor, send entire exhaust out for inspection and ifs only that area then good but my experience is if it’s cracked somewhere then it’s probably compromised somewhere else. Ask me how I know....

Good call! Annual comes up next month so that will be part of it