Any tips on switching out the Lord mounts

Niko182

I ended up buying new lord mounts (yikes are they expensive) for 52Q and figured I'd ask here for any tips before switching them out with my A&P. Looking at the diagram, it didn't seem terrible complex, but I figured I'd ask the people who'd done it before. Any thing to look out for? I'm quite excited since they are original mounts from 1999, and I'm hoping for a decent improvement in vibration, especially at lower RPMs.

Thanks Nik

7 minutes ago, Niko182 said:

I ended up buying new lord mounts (yikes are they expensive) for 52Q and figured I'd ask here for any tips before switching them out with my A&P. Looking at the diagram, it didn't seem terrible complex, but I figured I'd ask the people who'd done it before. Any thing to look out for? I'm quite excited since they are original mounts from 1999, and I'm hoping for a decent improvement in vibration, especially at lower RPMs.

Thanks Nik

Lord makes mounts for your engine, instrument panel, landing gear . . .  which Lord mounts are you switching out?

Interesting...

1) The mounts always get swapped at OH...

2) The oldest IO550s around would be the Missiles...

3) The next ones would be the 94 Os...

4) IIRC, there are four engine donuts... three of one type, and the fourth one...

5) Buying engine donuts from Lord... probably the same as any other Lord product...

6) Lord can be a great resource for part numbers, and where to buy the parts...

7) Bummer... Lots of China in the website name?, and an absence of IO550 powered Mooneys... https://www.lord.com/china/sites/china/files/PB6304_MountsGeneralAviation.pdf

8) The good news... they are looking forward to your phone 877 ASK LORD.   :)

PP thoughts only, it’s been a decade since I went through this process...

Best regards,

-a-

Your A&P will appreciate you being there.  When they are new an extra set of hands helps line everything up and control the winch.  I’d take multiple pictures to remember how all the sensor wires are routed. I’m pretty sure the exhaust system needs to be at least partially removed...look over all the parts including the baffling inside the muffler. Buy the good quality zip ties from AS.  Might want to replace some of the hoses as well, luckily the 550 only has a few. 

The Missile uses the same mount in all four corners. The Ovation uses three of one kind and one of another kind. My gut feeling is the Eagle / S will do the same as the Ovation. 

I'm lucky in the four the Missile used were the less expensive ones (still pricy) where the expensive one, that fourth one, was not part of the Missile mount.

-Seth

Edited by Seth
  • Like 1

Just now, Seth said:

The Missile uses the same mount in all four corners. The Ovation uses three of one kind and one of another kind. My gut feeling is the Eagle / S will do the same as the Ovation. 

-Seth

Yeah. Eagle is the same as the ovation.

Get some "bullets" made to help line up the engine into the mount bolts. "Bullets" are like ground down old bolts to helo center the engine to go over the last couple bolts, except you'll use these bullets and then swap them out with the real bolts. They also help you keep from damaging the threads on the new bolts as you work hard to get them intio alignment.  A hoist that also includes a leveler - which hopefully your mechanic already has - is also really helpful to lower the engine without it being tilted. 

As always putting it back together takes 3x as long as it took to get it off, but to get it to align up on all 4 bolts is much easier with  2 people. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kortopates said:

Get some "bullets" made to help line up the engine into the mount bolts. "Bullets" are like ground down old bolts to helo center the engine to go over the last couple bolts, except you'll use these bullets and then swap them out with the real bolts. They also help you keep from damaging the threads on the new bolts as you work hard to get them intio alignment.  A hoist that also includes a leveler - which hopefully your mechanic already has - is also really helpful to lower the engine without it being tilted. 

As always putting it back together takes 3x as long as it took to get it off, but to get it to align up on all 4 bolts is much easier with  2 people. 

Im hoping I can switch out the front 2 and then the back 2 without removing the engine completely. Is that possible?

Im hoping I can switch out the front 2 and then the back 2 without removing the engine completely. Is that possible?

no, it’s not a lycoming, it won’t tilt. watch out for all the wiring - i disconnect it all first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, kortopates said:

no, it’s not a lycoming, it won’t tilt. watch out for all the wiring - i disconnect it all first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is good to know. I was hoping it would tilt. Guess not. 

RE the “bullets. they go in first of course and you use the bolt to drive the bullet out which of course installs the bolts. Bullets can be a real time saver.

You cut the head off of a bolt to make a bullet of course so the whole thing can be driven through.

Do not use any kind of petroleum product of course, KY jelly if you need something but you shouldn’t.

Edited by A64Pilot