Installing the New Ultra style fuel caps on older model?

Schllc

Does anyone know where these can be sourced and if they can be installed?

I’m  going to have an older ovation, I’m in the process of acquiring, painted in the near future and was going to reseal tanks prior.  I’d love to incorporate the new caps. If you have not had the pleasure of using them, you should give them a look. They are so much nicer that those two pound bricks we have, and never misalign the way the old ones had a tendancy to do. 

• Schllc changed the title to Installing the New Ultra style fuel caps on older model?

@Schllc They really are great caps, I couldn't believe how light they are the first time I picked one up.  The only downside I could see is that the hole is a little smaller which could be a problem when you're filling a plane with Monroy tanks (to see the fuel level).  Did you ever have this issue?  When I fill mine with the regular cap I need to find the exact perfect pressure on the pump handle to keep it from bubbling over.

I don’t recall having a problem on the ultra, but obviously didn’t have the Monroe tanks. 
they are a dramatic improvement to the old caps that felt like lead. 
Where can the caps and items needed for install be acquired?

Is this an stc, or just a field approval?

That's an interesting question since I'm not sure how the cap body interacts with the wing.  This is an R you are acquiring? If so, I doubt any approval is necessary if the later non-U ovations were fitted with the cap.  I'm assuming the later R's have the cap since I know they are at least on Acclaims from the 2007-2008 era going forward.  I'll ask the team tomorrow morning and shoot you a text.

I'd also be curious if they add any bit of drag whatsoever since they are raised rather than flush with the wing.  I'm sure probably knot (couldn't resist), but I'll ask. 

Changing fuel cap style is as easy a process as it can get...

The fuel neck, the part the cap fits in, is mounted in an access panel...

So swapping out the panel is a straight forward, known process...

Cutting a smaller hole is best done with an uncut access panel...

If it is a Mooney part being used on another Mooney, the paperwork just got as simple as possible...

Buying all of the parts...

1) Seeing if Mooney can be the supplier best for a turn key approach... panel, neck, cap, and paperwork... all assembled.

2) David/sabremech has great pictures of how he did it... Sabremech also has the complete mod / paperwork skills... if/when required...

3) We have a fuel cap guy around here as well... very familiar with all the variations of fuel caps...

The small, very flush, cap... looks great...

Finding a pic of one would be great too... to be sure we are all talking about the same device...

Let us know if you need help finding these people...

Best regards,

-a-

8 hours ago, Yetti said:

Then the cooler thing to do instead of sheet metal work to make the hole smaller...   Would to make a larger flange that fits the existing sheetmetal holes that accepts the new smaller cap.

Here’s what I did on my old C. No need to drill another hole as this gets rid of the dissimilar metals and has the cap flush with the panel. Not that difficult to do. 
David

D66A5A54-B95D-46C1-AD2E-2AD4A702267E.png

4FBA31FA-F0C8-4EF2-BC4C-B369B66224F0.png

65AFB271-3087-4B31-AFE4-A320EEB14981.png

• Like 2