Aerocruz autopilot

Planegary

2 hours ago, markgrue said:

I hope to see the BK autopilot soon.  I will not install any Garmin products in my aircraft for the simple reason that Garmin does not support their legacy products.  For a prime example look at the GNS 430 or the GNS 530.  What happens when they decide that everyone who has bought the GFC 500 needs to buy something new and stops supporting it?  I can still buy a new KX165 just like I could 20 years ago.  I can still get my KX155 repaired.  I hope to have my aircraft for years to come and hope to be able to get support for my avionics until I sell it.  My opinion is only that so it is worth just what you paid for it.

Mark

Is Microsoft dead to you for ending Windows 95 support in 2001?  That’s pretty much how long ago Garmin announced the GNS series back in Summer 1998.  They’ve supported the GNS for 22 years and still support it, in fact, albeit on a limited basis and WAAS upgrades are no longer available.  Find another CPU-driven product that’s been supported by the manufacturer for that long — it’s a very short list.  How many times have you replaced your personal computer during that time?  You absolutely have the right to install or not install whatever you want in your airplane, but 22 years sure sounds like legacy support to me.  Guess there’s no pleasing some folks.

P.S. You might want to tell Bendix King that they’re supposedly still supporting the KX 165 and KX 155, as they have a website instructing people to buy something else (KX 165A).

As both erik and zach have stated, approaching 23 years is pretty good support. Garmin stated that the reason they aren't supporting the parts anymore is because they're running out of replacement parts. Bk has made sure to make their replacement parts as expensive as possible. A couple years back there was a post on here stating an insane price for an overhaul or replacement of a trim servo i believe on an ovation. I think bk was asking like 6 or 8 amu for that. Garmins autopilot is 7k. I understand it needs a g5 and a hardware kit, but I'd say that garmin is doing what they can for the cheaper section of GA. Gps175 can be bought for like 4200 bucks. A G5 is 2 grand. They make some great stuff. 

I had an issue with my g3x. There was a slight discoloration in the corner of the screen. Garmin switched it out. No questions asked. Just dropped it off at the shop, and when I got back it was fixed. Say what you will about garmin, but i've only had positive experiences dealing with them. That might change down the line, but as of now im more than stoked.

Mark,

I was so like you a decade ago...

A panel full of all BK devices...

I was looking forwards to upgrading my 20yr old KLN90B to the KSN770 with WAAS...  adding the new skill to my panel...

BK couldn’t spell WAAS correctly on the brochure...  too expensive to reprint...

By the time the product got delivered... the VGA screens were ancient fuzzy (Low-def) history...

The box is a pretty simple computer... with a user interface....

About a dozen MSers went for a presentation for the device... in PA...

The device wasn’t ready to show...

Since then... the only KSNs in the field were sold to the BK shops... they all had to buy one at a proper discount...

The ability to service their products got cut back tremendously...

The process of licensing other manufacturers technology has been another mess... the long awaited digital AI that was always coming next fall.... finally arrived...

What do you know... an AI that drifts and doesn’t tell you where the horizon really is...  can’t use that in IMC... major recall...

Sorry gents, Honeywell is a great American company... and they make great electronics for jet planes...

I can’t tell why BK exists... half baked products built in house... unusable Hal-baked products licensed in...

The best products they have... they only changed the front face and put a BK graphic on it... that, can be bought at a lower cost from the device builder itself...

Dynon, Avidyne, EI, JPI...   are all happening...

Who wants to go first?

Who wants to report being on the leading edge... then report why the darn thing broke, and can’t get serviced?

I have a beautiful classic BK panel that is slowly going away from BK...

Call me disappointed...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, PT20J said:

I  might. The problem is, I have an Aspen and GNS 430W installed by the previous owner. If I were going to install a GFC 500, then I'd put in a G3X and a couple of G5s for backup and a GTN 650 and CiES fuel senders and an EDM 900 and GTN 650xi and GNC 255 and a GMA 340 because I'm only going to tear the airplane apart once. All that trouble would get a fancy panel that doesn't really add any utility or make the airplane go faster. What I'd be buying is reliability and ease of use due to better integration.

Skip

$50 to $60K for all that?:huh:

• 7 months later...

For those not yet willing to give up on a cheaper alternative to Big G (i.e. if you like your Avidyne navigator), here is an update. I spoke to a 15 year employee of Spruce today and ordered my Aerocruze 100. There were two orders ahead of mine nationwide. Spruce won't charge, nor even authorize the credit card used to place the order until they receive the product from BK. The product is returnable for 30 days after purchase without re-stocking fee. So by placing the order, you're getting a place in line if the AP ever becomes available, with no cost or obligation.  To me it made sense. 

• Like 1