Are you going to Sun 'n Fun? Part deux

OK since the other thread  has been locked.  Let's keep on track.

Several things I have been hearing and want to verify what is going on:  Anyone with good information? 

1. No vendors will be present???  However,  Parker said he was going to be there @Parker_Woodruff
  2. This will only be an airshow?
  3. Amazon bought the 3 big hangars??? and not going to be used for SNF now or in the future??
  4. SnF rearranging layout to accommodate the lack of the hangars?
  5. Will the educational seminars be taking place?

I guess if it's only to be an airshow I'm not going.  I have several airshows I can go to that are only 1 to 2 Mooney hours away.  The airshows are very nice but I like the seminars an the socializing.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 1964-M20E said:

Several things I have been hearing and want to verify what is going on:  Anyone with good information? 

1. No vendors will be present???  However,  Parker said he was going to be there @Parker_Woodruff
  3. Amazon bought the 3 big hangars??? and not going to be used for SNF now or in the future??

I guess if it's only to be an airshow I'm not going.  I have several airshows I can go to that are only 1 to 2 Mooney hours away.  The airshows are very nice but I like the seminars an the socializing.

1) I’m sure a lot of big biz vendors have corporate restrictions on travel, but we are most definitely permitted to exhibit, as of this post. 
2) See 1

3) The SnF hangars are different from Amazon-related operations. There is nowhere near the capacity for Amazon on SnF hangar grounds 

4) See 3

5) I think so

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 1964-M20E said:

John,

I just sent you an invite from the original...

Not sure if you were locked out of that one...

See the invite... if interested.

-a-

2 minutes ago, Seth said:

I will not be attending in 2020. I've actually never attended Sun'N'Fun and have always wanted to. Maybe 2022!

-Seth

So it's a "No" for last year, and a "maybe" for next year. Are ya coming down this year???

I'd like to go again, without tornadoes. 

Just now, Hank said:

So it's a "No" for last year, and a "maybe" for next year. Are ya coming down this year???

I'd like to go again, without tornadoes. 

Haha. Nice catch. No for 2021. Maybe for 2022!

Edited by Seth

I never go to Sun N Fun. I always got the impression that it’s for old people. Every time I’d hear a 70 year old raving about how much better sun n fun is compared to Oshkosh.... that there’s less talks, less distance to walk, less to do, etc, made me not want to go.

If I’m only going to make it to one aviation event this year, it’s going to be Mooney Summit. If it will be two, then Oshkosh. A local hamburger run sounds more exciting then what I’ve heard about sun n fun.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, 201er said:

I never go to Sun N Fun. I always got the impression that it’s for old people. Every time I’d hear a 70 year old raving about how much better sun n fun is compared to Oshkosh.... that there’s less talks, less distance to walk, less to do, etc, made me not want to go.

If I’m only going to make it to one aviation event this year, it’s going to be Mooney Summit. If it will be two, then Oshkosh. A local hamburger run sounds more exciting then what I’ve heard about sun n fun.

I have been to Sun n Fun 15-20 times and Oshkosh 3 times. Sure, they are very different events but both are great in their own way and I'm glad there are two big airshow events like this.

Your impression of SnF has not been my experience, you really should try it before you get 'old' ;)

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, 201er said:

I have not been to OSH but have been to SnF several times.  There is plenty to do during the day and some activities at night.  The key is to camp with the plane it opens up more opportunities.  I have flown in and camped solo and sought out new friends.  However, the last time I went we had 4 planes and about 12 people.  Traveling with a group is more fun since you have a built in group of friends to hang out with.

• Like 1

I’ve been to Oshkosh many years and decided to give SnF a try several years ago. I found SnF an Osh lite and was disappointed in that I was through all of the exhibitors and the airplanes in a day. I know many will enjoy it but for me, it’s not worth the cost to travel and see all I want to see in a day. I always feel that it takes me at least 5 days to see all that I want at Oshkosh. Just my .02.

David

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Sabremech said:

I’ve been to Oshkosh many years and decided to give SnF a try several years ago. I found SnF an Osh lite and was disappointed in that I was through all of the exhibitors and the airplanes in a day. I know many will enjoy it but for me, it’s not worth the cost to travel and see all I want to see in a day. I always feel that it takes me at least 5 days to see all that I want at Oshkosh. Just my .02.

David

Maybe that's why SnF is billed as "Spring Break for Pilots"!! You need to relax and chill out some, soak up some warm air and cold drinks.  :D

40 minutes ago, Sabremech said:

David

I get your point here, but travel logistics for SnF are so much more affordable and there are just less hassles.

That said, we hope to exhibit at OSH in 2022.

More is better than less...

If there was only going to be one show... Make it KOSH.

If you can only go to one and you are busy during the week of KOSH... Go to the other ones... SnF is quite large, but it is a scaled model...  The real value of SnF.... it is the first of the year with many new products being shown to the public for the first time...  :)

If you are really limited on resources that year... AOPA used to come out to different areas of the country...

The vendors are in a similar boat airframe as we are... It costs resources to be at them all...

It was awesome to see new airplanes in Atlantic City’s Bader Field back in the day...  It was close enough to drive to, I got a feeling that aviation was attainable... it was a show put on by AOPA...

Marketing success can be measured by who is at which shows... when your marketing budget is gigantic... you go to all of the shows... take all of your sales people... and bring the big guns of your engineering and manufacturing teams...

Pp thoughts only, not a machine marketing guru...

Best regards,

-a-

36 minutes ago, Alpineman said:

ont going if only a airshow 

Calling either OSH or Sun-n-fun “only an airshow” is like calling Manhattan “only an island”.

OSH is like a state fair, aviation convention, fly-in, plus air show all rolled into one that you share with your closest 600,000 friends that you haven’t met yet.  Sun-n-Fun is a smaller version of the same thing (about 1/3 to 1/2 the size).

• Like 1

1. No vendors will be present???  However,  Parker said he was going to be there [mention=7052]Parker_Woodruff[/mention]

Vendors will be present using the same hangars they have always used. My understanding is that they will be trying to limit/control the traffic inside the hangars and mask use will be mandatory inside the hangars.

Been going to SnF for over 30 years now and I think I missed one show during that time. Also been going to OSH for the last 8 years in a row. OSH is definitely a bigger event with SnF about half the size but most of the vendors show up and you get to see the new toys and the forums are good. SnF is in my back yard so I have no excuse for not going and I enjoy it very much.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

The ultimate attraction at SnF...

would be a fly in, of one particular Mooney, that used to live there...

The one with tiger stripes all over it...  :)

https://www.google.com/search?q=mooney+with+tiger+stripes&client=safari&hl=en-us&sxsrf=ALeKk01xnwTi1kVYQt_trxegGUyQtEXqUw:1615090653872&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=_LU1x1Whj14SjM%2Crl9MmkF-uRcbrM%2C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kQq5SIHLpnWlodHIs595Hftp2FCWQ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi-p9DFqZ3vAhX9FVkFHVLxBOcQ9QF6BAgLEAE#imgrc=_LU1x1Whj14SjM

We would have to ask Pmax if she is ready to fly...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

On 3/5/2021 at 7:34 AM, 201er said:

Theres a good turnout for the younger crowd, and PLENTY of shenanigans at the beer tent once the sun goes down.

• Like 2

On 3/5/2021 at 5:34 AM, 201er said:

Hey,  I’ll be 70 in April. I consider myself young stilB)

• Like 1

I would be interested to know ages of Mooneyspacers. I’m too old (or too lazy) to learn how to do a poll. @201er  how about posting one of your pools with age groups?  I apologize if its already been don. Getting ready to leave for work and don’t want to take time to search:unsure:

• Like 1

SNF is a lot more laid back place with a lot less of a crowd, enabling things like rounding up sponsors, donors etc for the Mooney Summit to take place as you can usually connect with the right guy, not just the sales guy manning the display. I have been to both many times and will continue to go to both, hopefully many more times. I can be tracked down at the silverwings cabin, as I volunteer for them to drive the golf cart around.

• Like 1