ashtrays, again.

My ashtrays are rusty and look like crap. so I’d like to replace them with something, 81 J model as I assume they may be different by year

‘Searching finds a device called an ashlight that some say Spruce has, but I can’t find it on a search. New ash trays would be preferable if they exist, Univair lists two Cessna ash trays, one is $125 ea, the other like $600 ea. so that’s out even if they are correct.

These things have to come from somewhere else, some kind of car or boat maybe? can’t be aircraft specific

‘Anyone have a source on replacement ashtrays or ash lights or anything to plug those holes?

My '78 J had them but my '94 J doesn't. There's still the place for them in front of the arm rest, but the plastic isn't cut out -- it's just a flat spot. I kind of miss them. I don't smoke but it made a pretty good pencil holder. If you are going to refurb any of the Royalite panels (they usually yellow with age and develop cracks), it wouldn't be too hard to plug the holes at that time and paint over them. I used SEM Phantom White color coat.

Skip

2 hours ago, MisfitSELF said:

I’m thinking maybe more like this one, but I’m hoping someone will know, they have to be from some kind of older car,GM’s are common so maybe?

https://www.summitracing.com/ga/parts/oer-k813?retaillocation=ga

I don’t plan on any kind of refurb in the near future, interior isn’t all that bad, except for the roll trim around the door, which I’m thinking to just remove it, what function does it serve anyway?

Anyway I called Spruce the ashlight isn’t in their catalog and the guy never heard of it either, so I guess no longer?

This can be a really easy and fun "hanger elf" job, that should only take an hour or so.  First, go to the Brownell's gunsmithing supply web site.  Buy Alumihyde paint (sp?) in whatever color you want.....silver, black, flat black, desert tan, etc.  When you spray this stuff, use a respirator.  It is nasty.  Simply sand down the chrome surfaces on the ash trays with production paper, finishing up with about 400 (maybe 600) grit.  If you want to polish up the plastic parts, maybe try buffing them with super fine polishing compound or something.  Then, mask the plastic parts, wipe down with acetone, and paint the ashtrays.  You may need to do one pass for the interior and undersides of the lids, and then one coat for the tops.  Should be easy enough to figure out.  They will look just fine.  Yes, Virginia, you can paint chrome! 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, carusoam said:

In honor of my buddy Bob, who supplied the pic of the ash light above....

Send an email to the good folks at AS... ask them for this...

https://www.aircraftspruce.eu/pinnacle-standard-ashlight.htm

-a-

That's what I have, bought several years ago from U.S. Spruce catalog for ~$35. Works great, lots of red light.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Hank said:

That's what I have, bought several years ago from U.S. Spruce catalog for ~$35. Works great, lots of red light.

11 hours ago, Hank said:

It’s not in their current catalog, so I called and they couldn’t find it either, so it may no longer exist, at least not at Spruce

I love working with the AS people...

They have about 2/3rds of what they sell in their catalog...

Finding the other 1/3rd takes your superior Mooney pilot skills...  

This is where you bust out the telephone...   :)

Now you know they have it.... but the person on the phone can’t find it...

They want to help you.... so you may end up sending them the link above to their own ecatalog.... using that old email skill.

:)

Oddly, the price is in euros... ?

Best regards,

-a-