Mask required flying from no-mask states?

201er

If you're flying the tube, follow the airline rules.

If you fly / drive from a no-mask-required place to a mask-required place, better have a mask to wear when you get there. If you're traveling to a no-mask-required place, then you have a choice upon arrival.

1 minute ago, 201er said:

Texas, Florida, and some others say no masks. FAA says yes. How does this impact GA?

https://www.faa.gov/other_visit/aviation_industry/airline_operators/airline_safety/safo/all_safos/media/2020/SAFO20009.pdf

D8B48FED-F8A5-43C9-A642-92B1CA06D6B3.jpeg.498ae07d11f5998ebe94e90937f40677.jpeg

The document you linked to is non-regulatory and specifically says that it does not have the force of law. I don't think the FAA has issued a rule requiring mask use on GA flights. The CDC (not the FAA) has issued an order requiring the use of masks on public conveyances (including aircraft) traveling into, within, or out of the United States, and in U.S. transportation hubs including airports. The CDC order specifically exempts "private conveyances operated solely for personal, non-commercial use" and persons on board such conveyances. I would think that covers most but not all of our Mooney flights, but there is certainly commercial GA.

23 minutes ago, 201er said:

What about flight schools, BFRs, check rides, etc. Is there any legal governance for their mask mandates and protocols?

This isn’t rocket science.  The Fed’s cannot dictate much beyond their Federal jurisdiction by order and a small bit more by actual legislation (that passes Constitutional muster).  The states are in the similar boat within their span of control.  

I as the sole proprietor of the Jocko Monkey School of flight instruction can demand you put a turban on your head in order to fly my airplanes.  You can exercise your free will to pass on my offerings to go down the street to someone else if you don’t like my terms.

If the FAA says to exercise your Federal privilege of utilizing a flight certificate you need to wear green underwear then you need to comply.  

In the end use common sense, science, and wear a mask where appropriate.  I spent the first winter outside of KEWY in awhile.  I want my life back. 

Edited by M20F

Mike where is KEWY?

I can’t get google to skip KEYW...

I now know that Tina Kewy has a nice baby...  

Go Google!

For the record... I keep a spare fabric mask in my back pocket... you never know when your memory will lapse, or the garden party you attend, or crossing state lines, you may need a spare...   

Its still much easier than that whole no shoes, no shirt, no service debacle...

:)

Best regards,

-a-

3 hours ago, 201er said:

What about flight schools, BFRs, check rides, etc. Is there any legal governance for their mask mandates and protocols?

The portion of your BFR that occurs at an airport would be covered; an airport is included in the definition of  "transportation hub." People at a flight school operating at an airport would be covered. If you're inside the flight school building, I don't know whether you're technically at the airport.

I believe it would not apply during the BFR or check ride if that occurs on your private plane, as that would be a "private conveyance[] operated solely for personal, non-commercial use."

This order is clearly aimed at encouraging compliance out of respect for the law rather than encouraging compliance through enforcement of penalties. For that reason, any ambiguities are unlikely to get adjudicated.

To the extent that flight schools, BFRs, and check rides aren't covered by the order but the persons running the flight schools and administering the BFRs and check rides impose a mask requirement, you're always free to take your business elsewhere if you don't want to comply. It is perfectly reasonable for a service provider to impose mask requirements that go beyond those imposed by government order, much like "no shirt, no shoes, no service" or, at some restaurants, the requirement to wear a coat and tie (does any restaurant still require this?).  

Mask wearing when you can't maintain distance from others appears to be effective and seems like a small inconvenience to ask people to bear to promote the common good. I look forward to the day that it's unnecessary, but I'm happy to do my part while it is necessary.

Edited by Flash
  • Like 4

Saw a very interesting map the other day on the Flu...  Which obviously translates to COVID or anything else. 

This time last year (mask requirements just starting up, discussion of washing hands, etc., etc...) there was a map that shows states and how bad the Flu season was.  LOTS of red, dark red, purple.

Jump to now and the map is ALL LIGHT GREEN.  So as others have said, it's not rocket science.  But for those that like the pretty colored pictures, that's should be quite the eye opener.

In my airplane, the PIC determines the mask policy. And at the moment, that means you'll be wearing a mask, regardless of your credentials.

And if I'm in your airplane, I'll be wearing a mask out of courtesy to anyone on board.

All of this will be behind us soon enough... but I'd like to still be around, with a valid medical, and flying an airplane, when it's all over.

• Like 9

7 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

There is a branch of a very large flight school at our airport. I don't think I've seen anybody wearing a mask. I'll check again next time I'm out there. BTW, there has never been masks at the airport. Its like a sanctuary from the madness.

Must be a state thing, and not surprising. Can't walk into a FBO or Flight school without a mask on here, but of course we all see this not entirely obsered. But its not a sanctuary for the asymtopmatic covid folks. But sure, I don't see any one wearing their masks in the hangar rows nor a reason to do so since we're all social distancing even when we do socialize in front of the hangars.

When it comes to Paul I am the same way about wearing a mask in the cockpit.

I am hoping we'll get some scientific guidance soon that says when all crew is fully vacinnated we can relax the mask requirement - but I think they're still studying it but have heard they'll be telling us either way soon. 

Edited by kortopates

22 minutes ago, kortopates said:

Must be a state thing, and not surprising. Can't walk into a FBO or Flight school without a mask on here, but of course we all see this not entirely obsered. But its not a sanctuary for the asymtopmatic covid folks. But sure, I don't see any one wearing their masks in the hangar rows nor a reason to do so since we're all social distancing even when we do socialize in front of the hangars.

When it comes to Paul I am the same way about wearing a mask in the cockpit.

I am hoping we'll get some scientific guidance soon that says when all crew is fully vacinnated we can relax the mask requirement - but I think they're still studying it but have heard they'll be telling us either way soon. 

I read that the cdc will release post vaccinated guidance this weekend.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kortopates said:

We've been suffering through variable allegedly-scientific advice since last March . . . .

1 hour ago, MooneyMitch said:

I hope people continue to get out of my way in grocery stores!! :lol:  Never had that happen in my entire life till virus ! :blink:

That's because your hoodie and mask make you look like a hoodlum! :o  :D

• Haha 1