Used Autopilot for '67C

Our M20C has a Brittain Accutrak II, and it works great.   Love it.  Follows the magenta line like a bloodhound!

I've been waiting for Brittain to get back on its reconstituted feet, and get the remaining parts I need for altitude hold.  I'm in contact with Cecilia Henderson once or twice per year.  Brittain coming back to life just doesn't seem to be happening.  I own a controller with the trim eye indicator that is yellow tagged.  I a checkout for the altitude hold chamber part, which I own.  I need to acquire the elevator servos.

I see used autopilot systems for sale here and there.  Knowing nothing about them except that some companies don't like to issue STC's for used equipment...

Hypothetically, is there a make/model used A/P for sale out there that (1) includes the M20C on the AML, (2) is not a total disaster to install, (3) I can get permission from the manufacturer to install?

Since I ask hypothetically it doesn't mean that I have money burning a hole in my pocket.  I'm not gonna drop $20k+ installing a new A/P in a C, don't even mention it.   I'm not gonna go glass, I likes my 6-pack.   It's a C.  I'm keeping her a while, and would really love to have altitude hold- that's all.

TT-BK is soooooooo sloooooooooooow, and because it says BK means $$ once it happens.

What about Trio?  

I think waiting for a new STC for a C is a loooong wait.   The market is too small and uneconomical.

Used seems to be the way to go.  Anyone been there/done that?  Suggestions?

Thanks!

-Fred

67C here as well and I’m on the same boat. I have the Brittain AP and it is working well but no altitude hold. Been waiting on TT but God only knows if that will ever come to fruition. The only other used APs that I see every once in a while are the STEC. A BASIC STEC with altitude hold will work but I’ve heard to get the STC from the company for a used STEC is painful and expensive. If you buy a new one the cost is in the ballpark of the Garmin GFC500 which is also approved for the M20C.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 0TreeLemur said:

Our M20C has a Brittain Accutrak II, and it works great.   Love it.  Follows the magenta line like a bloodhound!

I've been waiting for Brittain to get back on its reconstituted feet, and get the remaining parts I need for altitude hold.  I'm in contact with Cecilia Henderson once or twice per year.  Brittain coming back to life just doesn't seem to be happening.  I own a controller with the trim eye indicator that is yellow tagged.  I a checkout for the altitude hold chamber part, which I own.  I need to acquire the elevator servos.

I see used autopilot systems for sale here and there.  Knowing nothing about them except that some companies don't like to issue STC's for used equipment...

Hypothetically, is there a make/model used A/P for sale out there that (1) includes the M20C on the AML, (2) is not a total disaster to install, (3) I can get permission from the manufacturer to install?

Since I ask hypothetically it doesn't mean that I have money burning a hole in my pocket.  I'm not gonna drop $20k+ installing a new A/P in a C, don't even mention it.   I'm not gonna go glass, I likes my 6-pack.   It's a C.  I'm keeping her a while, and would really love to have altitude hold- that's all.

TT-BK is soooooooo sloooooooooooow, and because it says BK means $$ once it happens.

What about Trio?  

I think waiting for a new STC for a C is a loooong wait.   The market is too small and uneconomical.

Used seems to be the way to go.  Anyone been there/done that?  Suggestions?

Thanks!

-Fred

I’m sure you’ve thought of this, but salvage yards, Alan Fox, Lowen Salvage, etc?  If you already have the AP installed with the stc, do you just need the servos or a new stc paper?  If just the servo, there’s got to be a place.  How about the shops that rebuild them?  Ask them where to find one?

4 hours ago, Ragsf15e said:

I’m sure you’ve thought of this, but salvage yards, Alan Fox, Lowen Salvage, etc?  If you already have the AP installed with the stc, do you just need the servos or a new stc paper?  If just the servo, there’s got to be a place.  How about the shops that rebuild them?  Ask them where to find one?

Not looking to buy right now.  Trying to learn from others and plan for the future.  I read this older thread:

• 4 months later...