Halo vs Q35s

Bought 2 Halos and unfortunately the wife won't use hers and I'm having trouble with the ear plugs with me

The audio also seems a bit off compared to other Telex ear plug headsets I've used over the years.

Anyone feel the same way about the Halos?

Looking at Bose Q35s with the "NFlight"  mic now

@cliffy, try the included silicone plugs instead of the foam ones. I've been enjoying my Halos since 2009 and absolutely love them. Finally got a second set for my wife to try, and it only took one half-hour local flightseeing trip to convert her.

• Like 1

Getting the right size and shape of plug to fit the ears takes some extra effort...

Since we are trying to block out the extra sound a tight fit is important...

But too tight leads to discomfort...

Some like the foam... squeezed/rolled between the fingers before inserting in the ear...

Others prefer the silicone...

After years of working in the industrial world... I’ve gone silicone... :)

You can get a variety of earplugs to try for the Halos... from small too large, and various materials...

Phil is still around here if you want to ask him directly...

Best regards,

-a-

My ear canals get itchy too on a long flight.  I use the standard yellow tips in the summer, custom molded ear pieces in the winter.  (Winter in Detroit is not good to the yellow tips.  Takes too long for them to warm up and expand.)

I’ve had good luck using Phil’s suggestion (Quiet Technology owner, he’s also here on MooneySpace @pmccand).  He said to pull on the tube a little bit.  Just repositioning the ear plug relieves the itch nicely.

5 minutes ago, carusoam said:

There are a few pireps around here regarding the custom molded ones too...

See if @gsxrpilot has any info on that...   

My memory is terrible... if Paul actually has custom molded ear plugs, I just got really lucky.   :)

Best regards,

-a-

Yes I do. I'll find the info on them in the morning.

• Like 1

Used to use one custom mold in the left ear back in my airline days and that's why I have "air leaking"  24/7 in that ear

Had to rip it out too many times on very loud call outs.  It hurt!

Had old Light Speeds but they were old and way too heavy. Wifey didn't like those either. It was a hair thing. 

We've got some world wide airline travel coming up this summer and I was thinking dual purpose Q35s, blue tooth audio while in the death tube and be able to convert to the Mooney stateside. 

Its not any fault of the Halos Its just us I guess. 

11 hours ago, carusoam said:

There are a few pireps around here regarding the custom molded ones too...

See if @gsxrpilot has any info on that...   

My memory is terrible... if Paul actually has custom molded ear plugs, I just got really lucky.   :)

You can get custom molded ear plugs at any audiologist. But the best fitting molds I've found were from the Fit-Ear booth at Oshkosh. They are now doing business here. https://inearzsport.com

• Thanks 1

I think one other pilot on MooneySpace has the QC35 and N'Flight Mic combo. We spoke about it a few months ago. Maybe they can give a PIREP. Use the search function to try and find it.

I personally may buy the N'Flight mic as well - I have a pair of QC25's and QC35's I purchased off Ebay a while back. I need to test both in the cockpit for how they do in the Mooney. I'll have A20's and LIghtspeed Zulu 3's up front with an original Zulu in the back seat. The QC/Nflight mic combo may be for the back seat, or maybe for me in the future in a turbine or pressurized aircraft.

-Seth

I have QC15 + UFMs and they worked really well for about 3 years then the ANR started clicking on and off particularly when I transitioned the prop control from cruise to full in. Louder constant vibration in my opinion tends to wear down the effectiveness of the ANR, although I can’t definitively say that, I suspect that’s why A20s are a bit more robust. 

I’ve recently switched to the CQ in ear headset and it works really well. Ordered a set after someone commented how the Mike boom was a bit longer than the halos. It’s early for me but so far so good!

I bought a halo and a clarity aloft at OSH last year for the wife and I to be a little cooler flying summers in the southeast. She ended up still liking her 20 year old DC’s better so I alternated the CA and Halos.  I really liked both a lot but ultimately liked the CA ones a little more.