Broken Rocker Switch Cover

RussG

Russ,

There is a long story that goes with that...

Sensata is the corporate entity that makes the switch... each switch comes with one cover... 

Sensata decided that they were not going to sell individual covers...

It comes across like they want you to upgrade...

As if... the switch and the cover wear out at the same rate...

You have 10+ switches...

The average price is probably 175 for parts...

There is a black market of used parts around here... (not really black...)

The coolest parts we have seen made using the printing process are these switch covers...

There is an MSer here that has somewhat perfected making a good replica...

Step one, search for the MSer with a cache of parts...

Step two, check with the pre-flown parts guys...

Step three, call Sensata tell them you want to buy just the switch cover and ask who you can buy it from...

Make it simple...  tell them you just bought a new one, the cap fell on the ground and your dog ate it... so you have a pristine switch, that just needs a new cover...

I have tried a couple of times, never got anywhere...

Pp thoughts only, not a mechanic... :)

Best regards,

-a-

11 hours ago, RussG said:

Can anyone point me in the right direction for a replacement rocker switch cover?

Those are ETA switches. No longer made or supported and really hard to find. 
The switch cover can be distinguished from the older Klixon switches by the fact that they have lettering on the curved top face of the switch cover - the part which becomes hidden when the switch is turned on. The Klixon covers don’t have that lettering on the curved part and they are a semi-transparent plastic rather than the opaque white. LASAR still has these on their website, but are sold out of all of them. I think I bought the last one they had. (Sorry)

There is a vendor offering a 3D printed version here: https://www.shapeways.com/product/YR7FSMMJW/mooney-rocker-switch-cover-quot-eta-quot-type 
I have not tried them and have seen mixed reviews here on Mooneyspace. They certainly won’t be a perfect match. 
One option if you can find used covers is that they are easy to re-label with a Dymo label printer. The white tape colour is almost a perfect match and the font can be matched perfectly. I was able to find a used ETA switch of the correct amperage here on Mooneyspace after a long search and I relabelled the cover to suit. See before and after pictures below.

As a really expensive last-ditch option, you could buy an entire switch of the right amperage from Lasar and relabel it, but that’s a pretty pricey way to repair a cheap plastic part. Your best bet is the used market and plenty of patience. Good luck.

90EC5875-EEE2-428A-A42D-9C765C2B4E59.thumb.png.6f6bb148ba39bd8e07d99507ffb9d719.pngB67F97B5-A739-49A2-8842-7A0690A870EF.thumb.png.9dc03d482c301eae18e26804016181ba.png

• 2 years later...

I had the same problem with an ETA switch. Judging from the photo yours broke off in the same way as mine. The little plastic 'brace' in the inside of the cover has broken. I managed to repair mine. I 3D printed just the little brace (somewhat thicker and more robust) that broke off and super-glued that back in.

I also tried to 3D printing the complete switch cover. While that worked, the cover was very rough and hard to label.

• 1 month later...
On 6/23/2023 at 7:39 AM, Joris said:

I had the same problem with an ETA switch. Judging from the photo yours broke off in the same way as mine. The little plastic 'brace' in the inside of the cover has broken. I managed to repair mine. I 3D printed just the little brace (somewhat thicker and more robust) that broke off and super-glued that back in.

I also tried to 3D printing the complete switch cover. While that worked, the cover was very rough and hard to label.

Do you have the 3d file to print the eta switch cover?