Mooney Missile with a 4 Blade MT Prop

Seth

Thanks Alex-

It shouldn't have been a year. 2-3 months - maybe six - yes.

And it wasn't seconds in duration - it was maybe a one quarter second buzz saw sound - that was it "buziiiip."

Had I gone with the three blade full feathering Hartzell I'd have had the prop six weeks from ordering. If I had been quick engine wise, I would have had the shop selected and it off soon too. 

Both could have been back and ready by October/November 2019. But as you read, I had other priorities. Then COVID happened causing months of delays, hurricanes causing communication delays twice, then the issues I haven't written about yet regarding Continental, MT, and Rocket caused months of delays. 

It should have been done much faster - but in the end it didn't matter how long it took with everything else occuring.

-Seth

Edited by Seth

11 hours ago, 67 m20F chump said:

Seth,

I met you at Oshkosh.  I’m Chucks tall friend.  I’m sorry it took so long to get your plane back.  Sounds like you were plenty busy anyway!

I nearly flew back with you guys in the King Air! That was very nice to offer it just didn't work with my timing as to what I needed to finish to Oshkosh. It was very nice to meet you!

-Seth

Short regional airline career and more family heartbreak:

I left my family in early January 2020 and flew out to CAE for an ATP CTP ground program. It involved 40 hours or so of ground instruction, a written exam, and 10 hours of Level D sim time. For this program I logged Boeing 737 Level D sim time (pretty cool – especially since I wasn’t logging Mooney Missile time).

Next stop was immediately INDOC which was a two-week program with two written tests at the end of each week. I passed the ATP written during this timeframe as well. Immediately following INDOC was systems. Sadly, my maternal grandmother passed away the Thursday late morning of the first week of systems. She was old, 91, and had various medical issues. She was going downhill fast the previous few weeks. We didn’t expect the end to be so quick, and as a positive she missed COVID passing away in late January 2020. She passed away holding my grandfathers hand with family around her at home. We were close, and this was not entirely unexpected. The airline flew me home last flight out Friday afternoon positive space. They took care of me here. The funeral was Sunday and I flew back on the first flight Monday. I missed one morning session of systems which I was caught up on. I passed my systems tests, got the ceremonial wings, ID card, KCM (Known Crew Member), CASS access, and flew back home. I was home for three weeks, arriving home late on Feb 14th (good day to get home for numerous reasons :).

A week later my wife’s maternal grandmother passed away. She also had failing health for years and was 92. My wife actually got to fly using the airline benefits to be there in Roanoke, VA, with her extended family, and unfortunately arrived minutes after her grandmother passed. She flew home the next day. Five days before the funeral, scheduled for the end of February (my wife’s family is not Jewish – nobody’s perfect :) my son William tested positive for flu. My daughter also ended up testing positive. We put them both on Tamiflu antiviral. My wife was feeling very tired and starting with symptoms. We went in ourselves to our doctor and as part of the testing for the flu they asked if she was pregnant. We explained what had occurred three months prior, but also that it could be possible recognizing her being tired, and it made sense to check for decisions on treatment. As it turns out we were indeed expecting again (yay Valentine’s day or a week later). We high fived each other right there in the exam room. It was very early. So, she was put on a different regime. She did test positive for flu so they didn’t bother testing me and I went on Tamiflu antiviral. We had decided that we’d name the child after both our grandmothers.

We did attend the funeral out of town, and looking back,  just a year later in this day and age, we would have skipped it so soon after testing positive for flu. It was about 5 days later of being on the antiviral. None of us were running fever by the time we traveled or we would not have gone. But still, now to “power though” is a faux pas and if you think you have any symptoms of any illness the accepted practice is to quarantine and stay home. This was just before COVID really hit.

We drove the five hours as opposed to the one hour flight in the Missile. I could have requested insurance to cover a rental, but at this point we were already seven months from the incident and we decided to just drive.

In early March I flew back to training to observe two of my classmates go through cockpit procedure training. We got one week off after that, and then came back to cockpit procedure training for me and my partner in late March 2020. One hour prior to beginning our cockpit procedure training I received a phone call from my wife that our son William was mid-seizure. This was his second major seizure. She described to me what was occurring, and it was a more intense version of what I personally witnessed the first time as he was bigger and stronger now, thus his muscles could twitch and jerk more violently. It was morning (all his observed seizures have been between 6AM and 8AM). Just like with me he vomited slightly so I had her put his head on his side and scoop out his mouth to ensure his airways were open. I told her to put the phone down, keep me on, and to administer the diastat emergency anti-seizure meds that we now had on hand. It’s basically a valium serum that you insert up the tush. She administered it. I put her on hold and called children’s hospital neurology department to see if our neurologist was available and for advice – we go the three way call going within a within just a few minutes. William was still seizing and not come out of it by 12 minutes into the phone call with Children’s. He was seizing for at least 10 minutes prior, and since it had been more than 5 minutes since administering the diastat, our neurologist, one of our five most trusted doctors (we have a team of 19 therapists and doctors for William), told my wife to hang up and call 911.

So in late March 2020, as hospitals were trying to keep people away and lockdowns were happening, our almost three year old was rushed via ambulance to the hospital. My wife accompanied him, and our Au Pair picked them up later in the day. The choices were stay in the hospital for observation or get placed on an anti-seizure drug and get home and out of a potential exposure point. As this was his second seizure and you only get one free seizure, we opted for the anti-seizure drug. It was Keppra and we later learned he had a sustained negative emotional reaction to Keppra (such a sad kid who was easily made upset when on Keppra). We have since titrated over to Trileptal and he’s been his happy self on that. This was prior to his eventual Bohring-Opitz Syndrome diagnosis (late July 2020).

I admit my concentration was not there the first day of cockpit procedure training. I basically got some text updates as to his condition as the ambulance arrived about 30 minutes prior to my first session. I informed my instructor and he asked if I needed to leave. I honestly said maybe but would stay until I had more information. I ended up staying for the five-day training cockpit procedure training.

The market was in a freefall and COVID was taking over the United States. Lockdowns were beginning. Airlines were becoming empty, routes were getting slashed, it was the beginning of what we’ve come to recognize as a way of life the last year. I was amazed we were still training as other airlines were canceling their new classes. The classes after us were all sent home or postponed. We continued. I passed Cockpit Procedure training and went home. The airports were a ghost town – just a few days difference meant so much. I was one of 7 people on a mainline aircraft flying back home. Only 2 were paying passengers.

When I returned home, I was home for a few weeks. I got my travel orders and left for sim training in April. I was not happy about the travel during COVID. We decided even though I had 2-3 breaks at a city that was a quick flight back and forth, and I had travel privileges, I was not to visit for fear of COVID exposure. I have asthma and more importantly didn’t want to harm my family.

Our training footprint had a certain number of sim sessions. Toward the end of week two, with two sessions remaining, I was on the phone with my wife at the 10-week checkup for the pregnancy. Sadly, tragedy struck again. The fetus was again dead. The fetus hadn’t grown much at all past a few weeks. Just a speck. The timing was right when we had the flu. After what happened to my wife during the last miscarriage, we opted for a scheduled DNC. We scheduled it for the dates between week two and three where I would fly home and then if need be, postpone my third week (checkride week). I admit I was not as focused during those last two sim sessions before flying home. My instructor was fully supportive as I informed him of what was going on.

I flew home and the next morning dropped my wife off at the hospital for her DNC. I was not allowed to be there with her due to COVID restrictions. I stayed nearby and got a call a few hours later that it went well and to come pick her up. I brought her home and tended to her for the next 48 hours. She said she was good enough so I flew back to the sim training for my checkride week.

Two days before my checkride, anyone who had not yet taken their checkride was sent home. Myself included. All those who had passed their checkrides prior to that date never flew any IOE before being furloughed in October. It was obvious to me the airline saw the long term effects of COVID and got rid of anyone they could at that point. The difference a few days of decision making cost me the chance at a checkride.

I can look back on the experience and know I received good training, 50+ hours in Level D sims, got paid to do it, and am a better pilot for it. I just wish I was given the opportunity to take my checkride, and hopefully earn my ATP and type rating. As I have my ATP CTP ground training and ATP written passed, as soon as I’m vaccinated and numbers look okay (this summer most likely) I’ll go the local flight school using a Seminole, or do a weekend course in NC where I received my commercial multi in a Baron, and earn my ATP.

So, in this post summary:

-We lost both maternal grandmothers and our kids Claire and William (Claire was very close with her great grandparents) lost both their great grandmothers in the span of two weeks

-COVID swept the country.

-William had his second major seizure.

-We got pregnant again, we had another miscarriage, and I had to take my wife to the hospital for a procedure literally during the April 2020 at that time height of COVID.

-I was sent home two days before my check ride and I no longer am employed by the airline. My regional career was just over four months.

During my next post I’ll write about the Mooney engine update during this period as that was the only update, I had through April 2020. There was zero updates from MT on the propeller.

To be continued . . .

Edited by Seth
  • Thanks 2

At the very end, once we are caught up to real time - I'm going to have to do a bullet point streamlined post with everything that happened so if people want they can read through everything to find details and I can see it all in one place.

-Seth

Wow. That timing, with COVID. I had heard some stories but reading it in detail is crazy. I really hope this vaccine works as good as anticipated. I think pax numbers this week are almost back to 50% of last year, I think the industry is slowing reeling back. Are you able to say which airline hired you, and if you have any recourse for an easy return?

Wishing you and your family all the best. Looking forward to the next post.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Raptor05121 said:

Wow. That timing, with COVID. I had heard some stories but reading it in detail is crazy. I really hope this vaccine works as good as anticipated. I think pax numbers this week are almost back to 50% of last year, I think the industry is slowing reeling back. Are you able to say which airline hired you, and if you have any recourse for an easy return?

Wishing you and your family all the best. Looking forward to the next post.

Thanks Alex!

I'm not going back - go ahead and PM me with contact info - I'll call with the information you requested. I wish no ill will on the airline but they did not handle things in a professional manner. It went from taking care of their own to getting as many off the books as possible - which is a good business move - it just sucked timing wise - and the communication and circumstances left a lot be desired along with the reasoning and threats - again - happy to talk one on one with anyone about it - just not going to post those details on a public forum.

The timing was insane. Pax rates are indeed back up to 50% but aircraft schedules and flights are a fraction of what they used to be, thus trip flexibility is low and seats per plane are filling up. In a few years, there will be more people retired from the industry, more pilots not coming back who got burned, and all of a sudden demand will again plow on. The advanced algorithms will have to add flights, and there will be a big pilot shortage come 2025/2026 and beyond until virtual first officers become a thing.

And vaccine wise - I'm set for mine Frida 3/12. I hope it does indeed work enough to get heard immunity occurring faster. I qualify in my state due to:

-Being a caretaker for a disabled person (William is also diagnosed with IDD - Intellectual Development Disability)

-Being an organ transport pilot (part 135 multiple trips the past few months)

-Transporting sick people to their appointments (again, 135 flying clients to specialized treatments).

-Seth

Edited by Seth
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Seth said:

Thanks Alex!

I'm not going back - go ahead and PM me with contact info - I'll call with the information you requested. I wish no ill will on the airline but they did not handle things in a professional manner. It went from taking care of their own to getting as many off the books as possible - which is a good business move - it just sucked timing wise - and the communication and circumstances left a lot be desired along with the reasoning and threats - again - happy to talk one on one with anyone about it - just not going to post those details on a public forum.

The timing was insane. Pax rates are indeed back up to 50% but aircraft schedules and flights are a fraction of what they used to be, thus trip flexibility is low and seats per plane are filling up. In a few years, there will be more people retired from the industry, more pilots not coming back who got burned, and all of a sudden demand will again plow on. The advanced algorithms will have to add flights, and there will be a big pilot shortage come 2025/2026 and beyond until virtual first officers become a thing.

And vaccine wise - I'm set for mine Frida 3/12. I hope it does indeed work enough to get heard immunity occurring faster. I qualify in my state due to:

-Being a caretaker for a disabled person (William is also diagnosed with IDD - Intellectual Development Disability)

-Being an organ transport pilot (part 135 multiple trips the past few months)

-Transporting sick people to their appointments (again, 135 flying clients to specialized treatments).

-Seth

Seth I know you said you’re out but every airline is different especially in culture. Spirit just started new hire class Mar 8 and they are looking to hire 400 this year. 

10 hours ago, Seth said:

Short regional airline career and more family heartbreak:

I left my family in early January 2020 and flew out to CAE for an ATP CTP ground program. It involved 40 hours or so of ground instruction, a written exam, and 10 hours of Level D sim time. For this program I logged Boeing 737 Level D sim time (pretty cool – especially since I wasn’t logging Mooney Missile time).

Next stop was immediately INDOC which was a two-week program with two written tests at the end of each week. I passed the ATP written during this timeframe as well. Immediately following INDOC was systems. Sadly, my maternal grandmother passed away the Thursday late morning of the first week of systems. She was old, 91, and had various medical issues. She was going downhill fast the previous few weeks. We didn’t expect the end to be so quick, and as a positive she missed COVID passing away in late January 2020. She passed away holding my grandfathers hand with family around her at home. We were close, and this was not entirely unexpected. The airline flew me home last flight out Friday afternoon positive space. They took care of me here. The funeral was Sunday and I flew back on the first flight Monday. I missed one morning session of systems which I was caught up on. I passed my systems tests, got the ceremonial wings, ID card, KCM (Known Crew Member), CASS access, and flew back home. I was home for three weeks, arriving home late on Feb 14th (good day to get home for numerous reasons :).

A week later my wife’s maternal grandmother passed away. She also had failing health for years and was 92. My wife actually got to fly using the airline benefits to be there in Roanoke, VA, with her extended family, and unfortunately arrived minutes after her grandmother passed. She flew home the next day. Five days before the funeral, scheduled for the end of February (my wife’s family is not Jewish – nobody’s perfect :) my son William tested positive for flu. My daughter also ended up testing positive. We put them both on Tamiflu antiviral. My wife was feeling very tired and starting with symptoms. We went in ourselves to our doctor and as part of the testing for the flu they asked if she was pregnant. We explained what had occurred three months prior, but also that it could be possible recognizing her being tired, and it made sense to check for decisions on treatment. As it turns out we were indeed expecting again (yay Valentine’s day or a week later). We high fived each other right there in the exam room. It was very early. So, she was put on a different regime. She did test positive for flu so they didn’t bother testing me and I went on Tamiflu antiviral. We had decided that we’d name the child after both our grandmothers.

We did attend the funeral out of town, and looking back,  just a year later in this day and age, we would have skipped it so soon after testing positive for flu. It was about 5 days later of being on the antiviral. None of us were running fever by the time we traveled or we would not have gone. But still, now to “power though” is a faux pas and if you think you have any symptoms of any illness the accepted practice is to quarantine and stay home. This was just before COVID really hit.

We drove the five hours as opposed to the one hour flight in the Missile. I could have requested insurance to cover a rental, but at this point we were already seven months from the incident and we decided to just drive.

In early March I flew back to training to observe two of my classmates go through cockpit procedure training. We got one week off after that, and then came back to cockpit procedure training for me and my partner in late March 2020. One hour prior to beginning our cockpit procedure training I received a phone call from my wife that our son William was mid-seizure. This was his second major seizure. She described to me what was occurring, and it was a more intense version of what I personally witnessed the first time as he was bigger and stronger now, thus his muscles could twitch and jerk more violently. It was morning (all his observed seizures have been between 6AM and 8AM). Just like with me he vomited slightly so I had her put his head on his side and scoop out his mouth to ensure his airways were open. I told her to put the phone down, keep me on, and to administer the diastat emergency anti-seizure meds that we now had on hand. It’s basically a valium serum that you insert up the tush. She administered it. I put her on hold and called children’s hospital neurology department to see if our neurologist was available and for advice – we go the three way call going within a within just a few minutes. William was still seizing and not come out of it by 12 minutes into the phone call with Children’s. He was seizing for at least 10 minutes prior, and since it had been more than 5 minutes since administering the diastat, our neurologist, one of our five most trusted doctors (we have a team of 19 therapists and doctors for William), told my wife to hang up and call 911.

So in late March 2020, as hospitals were trying to keep people away and lockdowns were happening, our almost three year old was rushed via ambulance to the hospital. My wife accompanied him, and our Au Pair picked them up later in the day. The choices were stay in the hospital for observation or get placed on an anti-seizure drug and get home and out of a potential exposure point. As this was his second seizure and you only get one free seizure, we opted for the anti-seizure drug. It was Keppra and we later learned he had a sustained negative emotional reaction to Keppra (such a sad kid who was easily made upset when on Keppra). We have since titrated over to Trileptal and he’s been his happy self on that. This was prior to his eventual Bohring-Opitz Syndrome diagnosis (late July 2020).

I admit my concentration was not there the first day of cockpit procedure training. I basically got some text updates as to his condition as the ambulance arrived about 30 minutes prior to my first session. I informed my instructor and he asked if I needed to leave. I honestly said maybe but would stay until I had more information. I ended up staying for the five-day training cockpit procedure training.

The market was in a freefall and COVID was taking over the United States. Lockdowns were beginning. Airlines were becoming empty, routes were getting slashed, it was the beginning of what we’ve come to recognize as a way of life the last year. I was amazed we were still training as other airlines were canceling their new classes. The classes after us were all sent home or postponed. We continued. I passed Cockpit Procedure training and went home. The airports were a ghost town – just a few days difference meant so much. I was one of 7 people on a mainline aircraft flying back home. Only 2 were paying passengers.

When I returned home, I was home for a few weeks. I got my travel orders and left for sim training in April. I was not happy about the travel during COVID. We decided even though I had 2-3 breaks at a city that was a quick flight back and forth, and I had travel privileges, I was not to visit for fear of COVID exposure. I have asthma and more importantly didn’t want to harm my family.

Our training footprint had a certain number of sim sessions. Toward the end of week two, with two sessions remaining, I was on the phone with my wife at the 10-week checkup for the pregnancy. Sadly, tragedy struck again. The fetus was again dead. The fetus hadn’t grown much at all past a few weeks. Just a speck. The timing was right when we had the flu. After what happened to my wife during the last miscarriage, we opted for a scheduled DNC. We scheduled it for the dates between week two and three where I would fly home and then if need be, postpone my third week (checkride week). I admit I was not as focused during those last two sim sessions before flying home. My instructor was fully supportive as I informed him of what was going on.

I flew home and the next morning dropped my wife off at the hospital for her DNC. I was not allowed to be there with her due to COVID restrictions. I stayed nearby and got a call a few hours later that it went well and to come pick her up. I brought her home and tended to her for the next 48 hours. She said she was good enough so I flew back to the sim training for my checkride week.

Two days before my checkride, anyone who had not yet taken their checkride was sent home. Myself included. All those who had passed their checkrides prior to that date never flew any IOE before being furloughed in October. It was obvious to me the airline saw the long term effects of COVID and got rid of anyone they could at that point. The difference a few days of decision making cost me the chance at a checkride.

I can look back on the experience and know I received good training, 50+ hours in Level D sims, got paid to do it, and am a better pilot for it. I just wish I was given the opportunity to take my checkride, and hopefully earn my ATP and type rating. As I have my ATP CTP ground training and ATP written passed, as soon as I’m vaccinated and numbers look okay (this summer most likely) I’ll go the local flight school using a Seminole, or do a weekend course in NC where I received my commercial multi in a Baron, and earn my ATP.

So, in this post summary:

-We lost both maternal grandmothers and our kids Claire and William (Claire was very close with her great grandparents) lost both their great grandmothers in the span of two weeks

-COVID swept the country.

-William had his second major seizure.

-We got pregnant again, we had another miscarriage, and I had to take my wife to the hospital for a procedure literally during the April 2020 at that time height of COVID.

-I was sent home two days before my check ride and I no longer am employed by the airline. My regional career was just over four months.

During my next post I’ll write about the Mooney engine update during this period as that was the only update, I had through April 2020. There was zero updates from MT on the propeller.

To be continued . . .

What a story Seth.  It’s so admirable to see you with a positive attitude after all the cards you were dealt in the last year.  I look forward to reading the next installments!

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Will.iam said:

Seth I know you said you’re out but every airline is different especially in culture. Spirit just started new hire class Mar 8 and they are looking to hire 400 this year. 

Hi William (same name as my son!)- I'm out with the regional I did the training with. I'm not out of the industry. I fly for a 135, will be flying jets for them soon (SF50), and am very open to returning to the 121 would at some point. However, the communication break down that occurred at the regional, asking me to get back for sim training to then send me home a few days later when I had my wife at the hospital after losing our second recent pregnancy - it left a bad taste in my mouth. Especially since I asked if it made better sense to push my training back for medical/family reasons. I even asked if it would montiarily cost the company as the sim might go unused. I made it a point to get back on time. Simply returning phone calls or email communication and getting better direction would have been appreciated. This was in stark contrast to just 8 weeks earlier when I was booked home positive space for my grandmother's funeral. I passed every written test with high marks and was ready for my checkride. I recognized COVID changed everything, and any pilot trainee that had not yet taken a checkride except those I'm aware of that already had their ATP and 121 experience, are all no longer with the company. Every single pilot from my class that passed the checkride prior to the day we were sent home was furloughed along with a lot of others. The company made the business decision to clear the books and stop future losses on anyone they legally could - I get that. However, the change in culture and lack of communication, the way I was treated and between the line perceived threats, which I can get into during a PM or phone call with more details it what caused me to decide I'm out with that firm.

Also, since then, not having the threat of potentially required exposure to COVID and being home with my now diagnosed son with Bohring-Opitz Syndrome - I'm fine being home vs on the road as much. This may change as he ages (hopefully).

I would be open to Spirit, but I need my ATP and experience before I can go there. Also, they don't have a base in the DC region for now - not a dealbreaker, but I'd try elsewhere first - especially with the upcoming pilot shortage in a few years again. That's why I'm going to finish off my ATP this summer. I will indeed look at Spirit. I've heard good things about the pilot group and company.

PM me and we'll chat.

Take care,

-Seth

Edited by Seth
  • Like 1

Engine and prop update:

While I was training to fly regional jets from January to April in 2020, my engine was finally shipped off to Mobile, Alabama to the Continental Factory. This was for the teardown inspection. As part of a teardown, numerous wearable items get replaced (rod ends, bolts, bearings, etc) so even if nothing was found wrong, it’s nice to know my engine bottom end would be in better shape than before. And even though the quality is equal to the good known field shops, having this work done at the factory means something to most potential buyers in the longbook.  

I had it in writing that any STC parts removed would be reinstalled or overhauled and reinstalled, and not replaced with off the shelf overhauled items. It was made clear that this was from Rocket Engineering’s STC Mooney Missile (again foreshadowing).

I knew I was looking at some extras. There was a gear that needed replacement as part of a service bulletin that was not done during the 2011 overhaul (PM me for the shop same in 2011 and I’ll provide it). And I figured, time wise, 700 hours in at the time 8 years was going to show something else. I was correct.

It was a lot of somethings. Nearly $20,000 of additional work. The largest was an unrepairable crack in the oil cooler that alone was a $3000 part. And I could not find the part to source myself.

In the end, I looked at the math, A full overhaul was around $36,500. We were a few thousand from that total at this point. The teardown was $13,500 and I had some extra money from the price difference in the prop. If I were to simply do this work, then I’d have cylinders getting closer to 10 years old around 1000 hours. Even if I didn’t do a Top Overhaul in a few years but replaced just two cylinders, it would be the same cost as doing a full overhaul now and getting six brand new cylinders, valves, mags, new parts, overhauled parts, and a 0 SMOH from the continental factory on my engine – not a zero time remanufactured engine, but still it made sense. So that’s what I did.

I authorized a full overhaul.

In addition, I only had two years and about 200 hours on my newer tempest fine wire spark plugs. Insurance took care of this upcharge as that was part of the teardown expense. I have my 200 hour sparkplugs as backups now.

While the engine was out, and the removal and reassembly was covered, I had work done to items pretty much removed or available anyway:

-I ordered new Lord engine mounts to upgrade and replace the 2011 the mounts

-We R&Red the proprietary 8 point engine mount in place where heat had worn down some of the protective paint

-I had RPM (Jetdriven) fix a crack in the upper cowl and repaint and blend an upper portion of the cowl (I also had him match the spinner with the cowl paint). We also repaired some wear/scuffing on the lower cowl and the heat shield inside the lower cowl. We’ll fully touch up the “black cherry” color of the lower cowl when we paint the leading edge of the wings later this spring / summer.

-I also took out my removable back seats and did a leather treatment at home where I stored them for a little over a year. I did a leather treatment of the interior while the Mooney sat when I was in town.

-As part of the engine being sent out, we removed the engine pre-heat system which was failing and falling apart (crumbling)  anyway. I learned that Tanis offers a customer loyalty program as long as you trade in your old style system (they want to get those parts off the used market). So for a nice discount, I got the new style Tanis preheat system. If I instead with with one of the commentators, I’d need new JPI probes as well, and that would make it much more expensive than the new Tanis system. I’m happy with it.

-I sent the exhaust for inspection to a shop in Minnesota I used in 2011. They looked it over and stated they suggested sending it to Rocket due to not having the correct jig and a portion needed work above their comfort level. So I had them ship it to Rocket. This is where a small mistake occurred, they knew it was Rocket Engineer in Washington state, but for some reason they sent it to a Rocket overhaul at Rocket.

-We also found some cracks in the Rocket supplied Missile specific baffles as part of engine removal. Instead of working to weld and fix it, which we could, I ordered new parts from the Rocket stockpile and they had them to me quickly. I’ll repeat this later, but the reason the Rocket supplied baffles are cracking is because we think the new cylinder head designs are ever so slightly larger than those from the late 1990’s and certain areas load up just a bit more thus causing the cracking. We worked hard to get these new baffles into place.

-The nose gear bearings were ruined by the trip through the mud/water. They had been repacked just two years prior and were bad – Insurance covered the hours and parts for this.

-JPI – I have not done this yet as I realized it’s something I could have done while it was sitting for all this time, but my JPI830 I need to send back to the factory so they can upgrade the software. The version is too old to be upgraded now. So the next time she’s down for a bit I’ll send it in for the upgrade.

-The batteries were replaced in 2012. So in late 2020 I ordered new batteries. The concords lasted a long time, and may have gotten me a little bit longer, but I decided to be proactive here.

-My master brake cylinder was also no longer holding proper brake pressure so we rebuilt it with new O rings. This repair occurred much later however in the fall of 2020.

COVID hit once I had already given the go ahead. I received no updates for a while from both Continental and MT.

I returned from sim training for good in late April 2020. Actually, two days before we were sent home, my Director of Operations at the 135 I fly for contacted me and asked when I’d be back and if training at the regionals had been shut down yet. He knew the industry well, and even though I saw what was occurring with other airlines, I thought maybe it’ll be different here. I let him know I was back in town a few days later and started flying for the 135 again. We did complete a proficiency flight prior to flying passengers/clients and I passed my normal checkride at the next normal interval a few months later. Flights were still occurring, but frequency and trips were also dropping off.

I began following up with both Continental and MT in May of 2020. The prop was already late (should have shipped in April) and the engine should have been there by then too.

To be continued . . .

• Like 1

Great story, Seth!  I remember that Oshkosh day very well as I think I taxied in about 10 minutes prior to you.  I can’t believe I didn’t prop strike through that mud in my 231, maybe my saving grace was being aft loaded with gear and asking my passenger to put his seat full aft. 

Your story is a great reminder of life’s fragility and how we must cherish the days we have.  

I took a ForeFlight screenshot just as that squall line was coming in as it looked like we were going to be in for a gnarly storm!  

0CA2222F-1FD7-4911-9AC3-A807DF3E2921.png

7 hours ago, carusoam said:

Keppra is a pretty powerful medication...

If you accidentally get prescribed it... IIRC, you get a six month vacation from flying...

You probably won’t like that doctor for much longer either...

Great details, Seth...

:)

-a-

Yeah, at almost 3 years old when he went on it for about a month he lost his PPL (kidding). But after seeing the reaction - I fully agree Anthony - powerful stuff - And you are an expert here.

It was AMAZING to see the difference in his overall temperament and emotional well being. Especially for a kiddo who has apraxia of speech (diagnosed afterward) and has a dfficingy in his expressive communication. He just became sad. If his pacifier fell off the bed, he could get it, but since it fell, he would just sit there and start crying. If he was walking and tripped and fell, instead of popping back up. He'd just sit down and tears would start flowing. No noise, just silent tears. He was so sad.

He also would throw significantly more fits/temper tantrums about anything all the time and start head banging (which is not good for his well being). So we guessed it was an emotional reaction to the Keppra and not due to a personality change due to the seizure or growth. It took about a month to titrate him over to Trileptal which we determined may be a good fit due to the type of seizure, where it originated after brain scans each time, and also the frequency of the observed seizures. He's had one breakthrough seizure since and we upped the dosage at that time. He soon returned to being a happy kiddo again.

-Seth

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 81X said:

Great story, Seth!  I remember that Oshkosh day very well as I think I taxied in about 10 minutes prior to you.  I can’t believe I didn’t prop strike through that mud in my 231, maybe my saving grace was being aft loaded with gear and asking my passenger to put his seat full aft. 

Your story is a great reminder of life’s fragility and how we must cherish the days we have.  

I took a ForeFlight screenshot just as that squall line was coming in as it looked like we were going to be in for a gnarly storm!  

0CA2222F-1FD7-4911-9AC3-A807DF3E2921.png

Yup that was it and you likely landed a few minutes ahead of me. Two airplanes got in after us. That was it for over 24 hours. As for getting through the patch, if you taxied in the right spot, you missed a rut and should have been fine. After being directed back in I should have still tried for an edge not the smack dead center.

Also, I have the heavier nose and 75 inch prop. I don't think a 74 inch prop would have made a difference with the rut I ended up going through (dropping into) but I bet if I attempted to taxi more to the edge of the patch I may have gotten through unscathed.

I'm thrilled to learn your Mooney was safe. Next time, if you see something that looks like that, don't go through it!!!!

-Seth

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Seth said:

Yup that was it and you likely landed a few minutes ahead of me. Two airplanes got in after us. That was it for over 24 hours. As for getting through the patch, if you taxied in the right spot, you missed a rut and should have been fine. After being directed back in I should have still tried for an edge not the smack dead center.

Also, I have the heavier nose and 75 inch prop. I don't think a 74 inch prop would have made a difference with the rut I ended up going through (dropping into) but I bet if I attempted to taxi more to the edge of the patch I may have gotten through unscathed.

I'm thrilled to learn your Mooney was safe. Next time, if you see something that looks like that, don't go through it!!!!

-Seth

I think my original Mooney rocket McCauley was 76''.  You have the same 74'' 4 blade MT that I have now.

Further delays.

The engine arrived in June. The people I had been working with at Continental were furloughed and the shop was on a smaller crew due to COVID. The engine looked good, but we didn’t check the specific STC items. We should have. We did note that the fuel hose for the front left cylinder was not shaped as the old one so we’d have to bend it or put a new one on to match the “winking” front cowl of the Mooney Missile. That should have been our indicator to look deeper then.

I reached out to my contact Larry, Flight Resource LLC the distributor I was working with for MT regarding the prop. The 19 week lead time from late November was well past. We were at 28 weeks at that point. MT says they were not slowed down by COVID, nor shut down, but Germany got hit pretty hard by the pandemic and draconian shelter in place orders were enacted; I’m sure less people were there, suppliers may have been slower, whatever, but we were way behind. The prop was finally completed by the factory in July. That was round 33 weeks from order.

There was a week long delay in getting it air shipped due to less flights, and thus less space available for cargo. Cargo flights were flying fine if not at increased capacity. However, most of the public (us aviators know) that so much cargo is transported in the bellies of international passenger jets. With those at a trickle or not happening at all in some cases, shipping delays were simply the norm (and still are, but not as bad now that we’ve “caught up” to the new reality). The prop arrived at Dulles in July, was delivered to Lancaster, PA for final assembly at Sensenitch and then trucked down to Freeway (W00) to the MSC to be installed. It arrived at the end of July 2020 or maybe the first week of August 2020 – I’ll have to check my notes. It was just about a year exactly from the incident. 

The delays were first on me for not ordering the prop until November, but also on the lead time and COVID slowing everything down during manufacturing.

I’ll post some picks of what everything looked like as it was coming together.

Next comes all the odd problems and delays that we encountered both with Continental and MT which helped stretch assembly in August 2020 to a first flight in February 2021.

To be continued . . .

Edited by Seth
  • Like 1

Anthony - please flip the picture :)

This was the engine and prop on there but not everything yet hooked up. As an example the prop governor is not attached, that'll be the topic of the next post as we had issue with the prop governor and MT extension arms sent to fix the issue.

-Seth