Desperately need long range tanks

garuda

8 minutes ago, garuda said:

Hi,

I need LR tanks in my m20k.

Jose Monroy has no appetite to make new ones since he has had a stroke. 
is there any other option? 

Maybe one of the big tank reseal shops has some new old stock?  Weepnomore did reseal and Monroy install about 5 yrs ago.

11 minutes ago, garuda said:

Hi,

I need LR tanks in my m20k.

Jose Monroy has no appetite to make new ones since he has had a stroke. 
is there any other option? 

Jose wont make kits and wants a hundred grand for the STC.  So it seems to be the end of the line for long range tank kits.

I’m not going to mention the bladders option (whoops).

Perhaps one of the reseal shops that has done a number of long range tank installs could work with a DER and you could do the install with 337?

Sounds expensive.  More expensive than bladders (whoops)?

What about a hybrid system?  A bladder in the outboard wing bay tied into the factory integral tank?

• Like 1

Alex Gertsen in his M20K was one of the last kits Jose made in 2018. Alex actually went down to Florida to help Jose with the process. Maybe you can get in touch with him and potentially work with Jose to get one more kit made. It's a great speed mod. PM me your contact information and I'll pass it to Alex. It's worth a shot.

That or maybe offer to go down and help Jose while at the same time paying him more than the $3k.

-Seth

Edited by Seth
  • Like 2

Many thanks for these constructive replies.
I'll check with reseal shops. Maybe with a bit if luck?
Would it be legal to install bladders and connect them to the fuel system? Wouldn't that require an STC?

contrary to the implication above, bladders (oops) are not an option in the K model. never was.

i am not expert on this, but i think a DAR or reseal shop would tell you it’s illegal to copy someone’s (Jose’s) STC - he owns all rights to it and even if you pulled his kit out of a salvage mooney you would need Jose’s permission to transfer the STC to your plane, i.e. buy the STC from him.
not an easy option but perhaps more possible than the other 2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would sell your plane and buy one with LR tanks installed. I think this is the simplest way to get what you need.

Here’s a nice one:

https://www.controller.com/listing/for-sale/199950131/1985-mooney-m20k-231se-piston-single-aircraft

Or upgrade to a Rocket with LR tanks:

https://www.controller.com/listing/for-sale/201614417/1985-mooney-m20k-305-rocket-piston-single-aircraft

9 hours ago, kortopates said:

i am not expert on this, but i think a DAR or reseal shop would tell you it’s illegal to copy someone’s (Jose’s) STC - he owns all rights to it and even if you pulled his kit out of a salvage mooney you would need Jose’s permission to transfer the STC to your plane, i.e. buy the STC from him.

Certainly Jose’s STC cannot be used for the ‘approved data.’  But, if your DAR drew up original prints for the mod, certainly there would be differences when compared to the STC.  Does that cross the line of a copy of the STC?  Perhaps a question to the FSDO that will be approving the modification.  I don’t think the writing the flight manual supplement would be that hard.

Another thought, Jose owns the STC and built and sold kits.  The kits themselves aren’t rocket science (I’m guessing).  Some sheet metal, filler necks, gas caps, hardware, etc.  Perhaps Jose would sell the STC without the kit, and your installer would use Jose’s prints to procure and manufacture the parts necessary.  There was a very good thread a couple years ago on the long-range tank install.  I don’t remember anything particularly special about the install (realizing I might be out in left field with this assumption).  

Final thought, would not an MSC have access to Mooney’s blue prints?  Do the factory long-range tanks have to be incorporated during the build when the wing is in the fixture?  Or could they be installed (piecemeal?) as a retrofit in the field... 

The Factory's long range tank - the 50 Gal per side was a change to the filler neck:

image.thumb.png.377dd942e9fb83ba969b6dd89e5ce7f9.png

Joes's long range tank solution is to wet extend the fuel into the next bay out. Since that bay is where the speed brakes are, his kit provides the sheet metal to seal block off the brakes and seal the bay, extend the fuel vent lines, seal rib holes, add drains and second set of fuel caps.  Structure of the Mooney bay pretty much dictates what's needed. 

I think I've seen Mooney install Jose's STC as a factory option too. And I've seen at least one install without the second set of gas caps - which I've always been curious about the approval of.

I can't imagine an easier option than just buying the STC from Jose and drawings if he'll allow.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, J0nathan225 said:

Wingologist may still be able to work with the STC owner and still install the LR tanks. At least that’s how he made it sounds 3 weeks ago on the phone. 

https://wetwingologistseast.com/

Edison at wetwingologists worked with Jose for years, that's definitely your best option.

5 hours ago, J0nathan225 said:

Wingologist may still be able to work with the STC owner and still install the LR tanks. At least that’s how he made it sounds 3 weeks ago on the phone. 

https://wetwingologistseast.com/

That what I was going to suggest, someone “helps” Jose build some kits to sell and a few spares, the parts are pretty basic.  I’m sure he could use the extra cash flow.

Clarence

3 hours ago, LANCECASPER said:

Edison at wetwingologists worked with Jose for years, that's definitely your best option.

He has some personal beef with Edison and won’t sell him the STC. And he can’t/won’t make kits. 

3 hours ago, M20F said:

Sad to hear what is the end to what arguably was the best Mooney speed mod there ever was.  I am sure @Piloto has his reasons but seems a shame to end yet another legacy.

I definitely love my long-rangers.  8-9 hours of endurance is just ridiculous, in a good way.

On 3/3/2021 at 12:33 PM, MisfitSELF said:

This is discouraging.  I had some long terms plans of flying my Mooney across the Atlantic and was thinking of putting these long range tanks on in the next 6-9 years.

I have the same plan, but honestly for me spending a minimum of $10k on the Monroy tanks didn't make sense vs just going straight to a temporary Turtlepac install.  (I have plans to go well beyond just the Atlantic though).  

• Like 1

I figure that there is a (small) monetary benefit to long range tanks.

There are several airports around that have fuel as much as $1.50 per gallon less than my home airport.

So sometime of my training flying consists of puttering around doing local approaches and then filling up on the cheap stuff.  I have often taken on $80 gal.  So do that a few times a year and claim your spot in the CB club.