Standby Instruments

To go along with my G600 legacy panel renovation I’ve been thinking about stby instruments. On my list are the...

Aspen E5

or

2X GI275 PFD and MFD

Are the E5’s still having reboot issues in flight? The E5 is a bigger display than the GI275’s. It’s also going to be cheaper than the two Garmins.

Any thoughts?

Somebody was describing the Aspen reboot yesterday...

Big G likes to integrate with itself...

@Fly_M20R has some nice videos of a pair of GI275s in action...

Selecting an avionics company is a love / hate relationship...

If you hate big G, go Aspen....

If you love Big G... you get two different divisions to select from... there are things that get certified that started out as experimental... and there a purely certified products from the beginning...

PP thoughts only... even Big G van drop the ball some days...

Best regards,

-a-

With the G500/G600 you could go with a single GI-275 PFD and when configured as a standby it can be all the things a GI-275 (MFD, PFD, HSI, CDI) will do. I see little advantage with getting two GI-275 unless your replacing the second CDI (If memory serves me correct, the G500/G600 can only support one GPS/NAV as primary). In that case check out Sarasota's Trade In on the CDI for a base or an ADHRS unit. Garmin GI275 Upgrade Promotion (sarasotaavionics.com)

With the G500/G600 you could go with a single GI-275 PFD and when configured as a standby it can be all the things a GI-275 (MFD, PFD, HSI, CDI) will do. I see little advantage with getting two GI-275 unless your replacing the second CDI (If memory serves me correct, the G500/G600 can only support one GPS/NAV as primary). In that case check out Sarasota's Trade In on the CDI for a base or an ADHRS unit. Garmin GI275 Upgrade Promotion (sarasotaavionics.com)

I think the G3X experimental only supports 1 GPS but the G500/600 is very rich in supported interfaces including dual GPS/NAV/COM and anything else you want.

a better glass backup IMO is the L3 ESI-500 - that’s what it’s designed for and no toggling between different modes like Attitude vs HSI with its single screen that does everything - perhaps more akin to a mini aspen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk