JPI EDM900 question

My RPM turns red at the red line 2650...which is also full takeoff power so no way around it. I'll see up to 2670 on climbout and once up and away I tweak as needed to 2650.  Don't mess with it before that.

(It's a TSIO-520NB...Rocket)

46 minutes ago, 0TreeLemur said:

While this thread considers JPI EDM limits, I have a related question.   Recently we upgraded to the Hartzell Top Prop on our C.  It has no rpm limitations when installed on an O-360.  Anybody ever send their JPI back in to get limits changed?   I still get the red numbers in the old "no-continuous ops" rpm range.   I'd rather not see them since they no longer apply.   Not a big deal, but if I had time to ship it back to JPI I might.

Based on my three separate experiences with JPI about this on two aircraft, they might ask for documentation to support any change(s).  As an example, on the IO550G to IO550N engine replacement, and IO550G engines with governors adjusted to 2700 RPM based on the related STC, JPI gladly made the change, but wanted proof (in my case, the STC paperwork) before they would accept the unit for readjustment.  Suggest you run the iron over it with their tech support folks.  They're pretty helpful.

Steve

• Like 2

+1 JPI reviews the data to make changes...

You have the data, so there won’t be any funny argument...

We have Jeev around here if you want to ask JPI questions... Jeev sells the JPI product line and knows who to call internally to JPI...  as close as we have to a JPI guy.

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

Lycoming has an overspeed bulletin but I don't think they make special allowance for gauge accuracy. Mitchell mechanical tachometers have a specified accuracy of +/-25 rpm https://mitchellproducts.com/product/tachometers-mechanical-recording-clockwise-3-1-8-inch/. I have no idea how accurate and EDM 900 is -- I've never seen a specification from JPI. I can assure you the tolerance is not +/- 0 rpm, though.

Another EDM900 related question:  is there a way to check the second alternator ?  I only have single amps & voltage indication on my screen.  I know I have two shunts and I did order the AMP 2.  Does it only show when it kicks in ?  How do I know whether ALT 1 or ALT 2 is online ?

On 3/22/2021 at 3:45 AM, Airways said:

Another EDM900 related question:  is there a way to check the second alternator ?  I only have single amps & voltage indication on my screen.  I know I have two shunts and I did order the AMP 2.  Does it only show when it kicks in ?  How do I know whether ALT 1 or ALT 2 is online ?

There is another thread today mentioning the same challenge... briefly...

Best regards,

-a-

My fuel pressure on my 67F does that. It's fucking asinine that when mounted remotely you get a blinking red engine light. For that reason, when I had my 900 installed in my Rocket, I made sure it didn't require the remote LED. You're not gonna get a mechanical fuel pump that delivers less than the original placarded 30psi from the original steam gauge, even though the engine/fuel servo max pressure is 45 psi. As far as I'm concerned, this presents a safety risk because a blinking red light results in two scenarios, neither are good: the first is that you become distracted during critical phases of flight, such as takeoff and landing to verify and suppress the message, or you become complacent with a blinking red engine light that could be red for something like oil pressure. 

17 hours ago, FloridaMan said:

the first is that you become distracted during critical phases of flight, such as takeoff and landing to verify and suppress the message, or you become complacent with a blinking red engine light that could be red for something like oil pressure. 

Agreed.  They should make that LED like a master caution light in a Boeing; press it to shut it.