infamous Whelan 90033 and the strobes (1997 Ovation)

FJC

Hi Guys,

Still getting Ovation sorted out. Now we are to the more esoteric items on the list.

Whelan 90033:I'm now dealing with the 90033 which is under belly: Is there circuitry that drives the beacon (oscillating circuit)? Its probably a circuit that increase/decreases intensity to simulate a rotating beacon but I've not seen a good/working one. (anyone have a take-off that is working?) Hoping the bulb is burned (or hoping someone knows a way to fix the circuit like the youtube dude that fixes the Whelen power supplies...btw, how much does he charge?). I'll check the wiring and what comes through the socket if the bulb proves good.

Strobes: One wingtip isnt flashing, and same for the tail. Question: is it more likely a power supply issue or bulb? From what I gather, I have 3 power supplies versus the lucky ones have 1 or two in the later Ovations. I realize the strobes dont have a filament as is tradition in a normal bulb there could be other problems with the bulbs causing them not to flash. I plan to swap known good and check things out prior to buying any parts. I'm going to check the wiring to the power supply and check the output voltage if I determine the bulb(s) are good. I've seen the power supplies for sale and will probably go that route if needed. Or if I think I can prevent myself from getting shocked by a 2200uF capacitor, I may try to troubleshoot the electronics myself.

People are going to say "buy LED". I'm all for it, but need to prioritize spend as I have avionics coming.

I'd like all the lights to work. I realize there are ways to be "legal" (either I need a beacon or strobes but are not legally required to have both) but I'm one of those types that wants/expects things that are there to function and it drives me crazy when they do not. Aircraft has lots of lighting and would like to use it all. :)

Thank you!

Get ahold of me via IM when able.  I replaced my 90033 with a 90724 about a year and a half ago, and *might* have my 90033 (fully-operational when removed, cleaned, reassembled) available.  I'll be back out there tomorrow, so will look in my spare parts cabinets.  If I have it, I'll test on the bench again and if good, just cover shipping and it's yours.  Save your $$ for LED and/or cockpit.

As far as the strobes, I had a later year Ovation with two power supplies.  When I upgraded to LED, I sold the two wingtip strobe/NAV heads and the smaller power supply in the tail, but kept the larger Whelen HDACF power supply mounted in the forward avionics bay under the O2 bottle.  You're also welcome to this if your troubleshooting proves this is the culprit, but realistically, I'd guess you have a bad strobe flash tube.

You're right to want all lighting to work...I'm fanatical about it myself.  Below is a guide by Whelen showing approved ACL system components.  You'll find a lot of deviations from this, but this should be your beginning guide.

image.png.fb813fc1c1a59ffcc769f58f2767af96.png

• Like 1

F,

While reviewing lights...

We have a Whelen guy around here than can be pretty helpful...

StevenL has done a great job defining and describing the LED updates his ship has gone through...

Are you familiar with the recog lights... aka lens melters... :)

We keep hasseling  the Whelen guy to get an LED solution for these... there are pics of a few owner supplied parts around here as well...

Best regards,

-a-

1 hour ago, carusoam said:

F,

While reviewing lights...

We have a Whelen guy around here than can be pretty helpful...

StevenL has done a great job defining and describing the LED updates his ship has gone through...

Are you familiar with the recog lights... aka lens melters... :)

We keep hasseling  the Whelen guy to get an LED solution for these... there are pics of a few owner supplied parts around here as well...

Best regards,

-a-

We need the rear-facing wingtip position lights to go LED too!  Don't forget those, Whelen!  :D

• Like 1

8 hours ago, FJC said:

Hi Guys,

Still getting Ovation sorted out. Now we are to the more esoteric items on the list.

Whelan 90033:I'm now dealing with the 90033 which is under belly: Is there circuitry that drives the beacon (oscillating circuit)? Its probably a circuit that increase/decreases intensity to simulate a rotating beacon but I've not seen a good/working one. (anyone have a take-off that is working?) Hoping the bulb is burned (or hoping someone knows a way to fix the circuit like the youtube dude that fixes the Whelen power supplies...btw, how much does he charge?). I'll check the wiring and what comes through the socket if the bulb proves good.

Strobes: One wingtip isnt flashing, and same for the tail. Question: is it more likely a power supply issue or bulb? From what I gather, I have 3 power supplies versus the lucky ones have 1 or two in the later Ovations. I realize the strobes dont have a filament as is tradition in a normal bulb there could be other problems with the bulbs causing them not to flash. I plan to swap known good and check things out prior to buying any parts. I'm going to check the wiring to the power supply and check the output voltage if I determine the bulb(s) are good. I've seen the power supplies for sale and will probably go that route if needed. Or if I think I can prevent myself from getting shocked by a 2200uF capacitor, I may try to troubleshoot the electronics myself.

People are going to say "buy LED". I'm all for it, but need to prioritize spend as I have avionics coming.

I'd like all the lights to work. I realize there are ways to be "legal" (either I need a beacon or strobes but are not legally required to have both) but I'm one of those types that wants/expects things that are there to function and it drives me crazy when they do not. Aircraft has lots of lighting and would like to use it all. :)

Thank you!

If you want to try to repair your power supply: