ANY reason not to jack up one wing at a time to change a tire?

DaveMC

The A&P that was gonna help me do this flaked. I took all day off from work to get this done tomorrow.  I have secured one wing jack.

Since I only have one jack any reason i cant just do one wheel at a time to change the tires?  obviously i cant do the nose wheel with a wing jack.

Thank in advance ye wise old, and experienced Mooney pilots

Dave

Edited by DaveMC

If your jacks points have a wide mouth/lip, The edge may hit the wing and dimple the skin due to the more aggressive angle. If you jack both, the angle is better and the jack won’t hit the wing. Just depends on the set up. Myers Jack’s will touch the wing if you are not careful.

-Matt

It only needs to come off the ground by a little bit... no?

+1 secure things from moving...

Jack points

Jack safety, the thing that keeps the Jack from leaking down...

Too much angle will tempt the plane to fall off the Jack...

So use both eyes while you are working...

PP thoughts only... not a mechanic... stuff I read around here...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

For longer distance touring off the beaten track, I have a scissor jack with a short length of angle welded to the top to catch/hold the spindle. That can lift any single wheel easily - easier than using the jack points in fact as it doesn't have to extend to take the compression of of the doughnuts.

I'd only ever use it for wheel/tyre/brake attention though, obviously it is useless for any sort of retract test, so only need the one too

• Like 1

On 3/3/2021 at 7:27 PM, jetdriven said:

The alpha jacks aren’t that expensive. Just buy one if you have to. 

After much deliberation and looking at many of the home-made varieties I purchased a set of the Alpha Jacks a couple of years ago. I think it has been one of the best purchases of "hangar tools" that I have made. They are a one-time purchase and if you average it out over the ownership time of the plane they really aren't very expensive.

• Like 2

I have a solid pipe I slide into my landing gear above the tire.  This can be done for the nose wheel also. Then I use a floor jack under the pipe to lift the wheel off the ground.  Another option is having someone put there back under the wing tip and lift the wing up so the tire is off the ground.  Then another person can put a sturdy 34'' sawhorse under the jack point.  It really doesn't take much strength to lift one wheel up.  I have a A model and that's how the service manual tells you how to lift the plane off the ground.  I really don't see how a metal wing would differ from a wood wing using this technique.  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/1/2021 at 2:40 PM, DaveMC said:

Thank you for the replies!! 

I didn't think so either.  BUTTTTT the minute i think I know something(but don't actually know it) I usually make an expensive mistake.

D

What does the SM say?  Rely on the SM.  It is searchable.  For J’s, place jack under lift point, remove tube stem, after air removed you will only need to jack up 1 side an inch. Use dry solvent to clean everything up and repack your bearings while you’re in there. Check torque value for wheel nuts—it’s different from nose.  Mains 150 inch lb. and nose is only 90 inch lb. may be different for you.