Hot wire on master switch available?

NicoN

Is there a hot wire (permanently 12V) available somewhere at the panel?

As far as I understand the schematics there should be a hot wire at the master switch and the master switch actually is connecting the master solenoid to GND. Is this correct?

Be sure to know how much amperage you need...

Computer memory doesn’t take that much... be careful what you attached to your clock and radio memory...

Some Mooneys have an unswitched Leg.... that powers interior lights and the cigarette socket...

That can be a pain in the but.... when the kids leave a light on.... or somebody accidentally hits a switch getting things out of the baggage area... or the SkyRadar gets left plugged in...

It wouldn’t take very much to properly add what you want...

PP thoughts only... this stuff only happens to other pilots...  :)

Best regards,

-a-

18 hours ago, ArtVandelay said:

There is a hot wire for the clock in my schematics, so find your clock and see if that connection is there.

It is exactly for our clock.The clock is battery driven, but uit is always a lot of work to change it. I have to remove the DG to pass the clock through that hole.

Now, I’ve not worked on Mooney’s before so this is a general aircraft statement.

But there should be a battery power wire already in the aircraft as electric clocks are common, and if memory serves correctly this wire is required by FAR to have within 1 foot of the battery to have a circuit protection device, most often a simple cartridge fuse.

Nothing else that I’m aware of should remain “hot” with the master off. However I concede that I’m used to working on older type aircraft and these modern glass displays may  have a keep alive power similar to a clock, but would expect them to still be fused within one foot of the battery if they were.

I'm beginning to wonder if I have too many "hot" circuits.

There is the standard one for the clock and cabin lights.

Then there is the one to the ELT for the GPS connection.

Another got added for the Battery Minder plug.

Then I added one for the SureFly. 

All have inline fuses. Maybe I need a circuit breaker panel in the equipment bay.

Skip

I'm beginning to wonder if I have too many "hot" circuits.
There is the standard one for the clock and cabin lights.
Then there is the one to the ELT for the GPS connection.
Another got added for the Battery Minder plug.
Then I added one for the SureFly. 
All have inline fuses. Maybe I need a circuit breaker panel in the equipment bay.
Skip

You’re not supposed to stack more than 3, so I think a mini fuse panel would better.

19 minutes ago, ArtVandelay said:

You’re not supposed to stack more than 3, so I think a mini fuse panel would better.

Do you mean on a stud? 43.13-1B 11.98f says "The number of terminal connections to a terminal block stud does not exceed four, unless specifically authorized." I'll have to look but again, but I don't think all are on the same stud.

Skip

Do you mean on a stud? 43.13-1B 11.98f says "The number of terminal connections to a terminal block stud does not exceed four, unless specifically authorized." I'll have to look but again, but I don't think all are on the same stud.
Skip

Yes, 3 or 4, still exceeds it when you include main wire. I guess you could stack a few on the master relay stud.

Just now, ArtVandelay said:

Yes, 3 or 4, still exceeds it when you include main wire. I guess you could stack a few on the master relay stud.

Thanks for pointing it out -- I wouldn't have thought to look it up if you hadn't. I'm constantly amazed by the stuff I don't know. I know that the SureFly and the Battery Minder are on the master relay stud because I did this myself. I think that Mooney put the clock/lights on the battery terminal. I can't remember where the ELT connects. Bit it would sure look nicer with a fuse panel.

Skip

Somebody posted a pic of a fuse panel they have in the tail cone...

Probably a long body, with all the equipment to support the two battery system...

+1 for fuses being close to the source of energy... you never know when the insulation will wear off a wire...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1