Mystery marks

rotorman

The only way to see how close the rudder gets to the airframe...

typically... the rudder is centered and doesn’t move much while on the ground.

It is connected to the nose wheel...

For reference... I circled the area in red...

The nice pic with the shiny reflections kind of hides what we are discussing...

See if there is a matching mark on the elevator?

Best regards,

-a-

20CB4C1D-7517-4944-8878-14DA26376589.jpeg

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, M20Doc said:

Aside from Andy’s suggestion, the only other thing that comes to mind is the rudder travel stops have slipped badly.

Clarence

This happened on my first M20J -  according to the logs, the rudder push pull tubes had been removed for light corrosion removal and painting. Unfortunately, they were reinstalled with the rudder stops backwards. It's easy to check. Have someone sit in the cockpit and press a rudder pedal to the stop and gently move the elevator through it's travel and see if it contacts the rudder. 

Skip

To answer Corusoam's question, there are no marks on the elevator. But since it has a sharp edge, I wouldn't expected that the light contact that occurred would produce any marks on the elevator.

I do recall that either on the pre-buy (1994) inspection or during an annual shortly thereafter, some corrosion was found on a rod. It was cleaned and repainted. I'll check the logs. I will also perform the check Skip suggests.

Clarence, can I visually inspect that the travel stops? 

Nick

• Like 1

You can visually inspect the stops yourself. Remove the inspection panel under the left horizontal stabilizer (see photo).

Look inside, up, and forward. See photo- red circle is one of the stops (the other is forward of it), the green arrow points to the structure that it hits to stop its movement. 

C8E8EAF3-867C-4162-A0D8-91ADD1E0D681.jpeg

29E20D50-6B7D-44A4-ACE3-DB113A190F19.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2