Over 80

rotorman

Yes, right around here...

No, there is no cut-off...

bummer... as you get closer to that age, the cost of insuring the retractable planes gets more expensive...

Plenty of hate mail for the insurance companies...in various threads around here...

It has been a big issue.

RM, are you getting close to 80?

I can dig up the threads if you need them...

Best regards,

-a-

14 hours ago, carusoam said:

Yes, right around here...

No, there is no cut-off...

bummer... as you get closer to that age, the cost of insuring the retractable planes gets more expensive...

Plenty of hate mail for the insurance companies...in various threads around here...

It has been a big issue.

RM, are you getting close to 80?

I can dig up the threads if you need them...

Best regards,

-a-

Several years down the road for me to 80. But planning ahead. I've sunk a ton of money recently into my Mooney which I bought in 1994. I'm currently unhappy with how my KFC 200 is performing while attempting to follow the GTN 650's commands.  The autopilot computer was bench checked recently and deemed to be operating correctly. The system preflight tests correctly. But on a recent practice RNAV approach the Glide slope command bars happily were taking me to ground well short of the runway. AP disconnects are a frequent occurrence. There are other problems as well. Consequently, my confidence level has sunk to a new low.

But I digress. I don't want to sink more money into the airplane unless I'm assured I can continue to insure it long into the future. 

I have a named insured pilot on my Piper policy who will be 81 this year and on BasicMed. I was really nervous about getting the dreaded phone call from the insurance company, but the phone call never came. Seems to be a complete non-issue. This is with Global Aero. 

The best advice I've heard is to stick with the same company after turning 80, and so far that has seemed like sound advice.

3 hours ago, toto said:

I have a named insured pilot on my Piper policy who will be 81 this year and on BasicMed. I was really nervous about getting the dreaded phone call from the insurance company, but the phone call never came. Seems to be a complete non-issue. This is with Global Aero. 

The best advice I've heard is to stick with the same company after turning 80, and so far that has seemed like sound advice.

The stick with same company advice I have heard before and have headed for many years. Also, I'm with Global so this is all good news. Thanks for the replys.

RM,

For really good insight on how insurance works, what company is today’s best...

.... and what coverage you might want to consider... 

MS has Parker... He keeps us up to date with trends like this one...

The really odd part...

By the time people have the time and resources to get a Mooney... the insurance rates start to climb...

Prove them all wrong... eat right, exercise the body, exercise the brain, get good rest, stay healthy, fly past 100...

Its worth it...  

:)

-a-

You need to be with the right carrier at the renewal before your 70th birthday.  We re-evaluate at 74 and determine if you should stay with me or go to Avemco.

Sometimes this means I lose the business, but I'd rather have a bunch of referrals than end up getting someone into a bad situation with underwriting at age 80.  There are, of course, no guarantees, but we do the best we can and hope for the best outcome.

I have two pilots over 80 years old insured.  One with liability only on an M20K and the other on a C172RG with physical damage coverage (he is limited to day VFR only).

You need a good broker at age 64...

If you can be willing to go simple SEFG type, lots of options for pilots 80+ if you're ok with a C172, C182, PA28), etc.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Parker_Woodruff said:

If you can be willing to go simple SEFG type, lots of options for pilots 80+ if you're ok with a C172, C182, PA28), etc.

Curious if it would be easier to maintain reasonable insurance with an sr22 vs ovation above 75. 

What about changing aircraft above 75 like ovation to acclaim?

1 hour ago, steingar said:

I never want an insurer to tell me I can't fly my airplane.  My relatives are supposed to do that.

I always thought to deny or grant the privileges of our licenses was the job of the FAA and the FAA only.

If insurances start to pick only good risks and leave all those they DEEM a bad risk (without or with reason) then in mid term then why do we have licensing and certification bodies at all? Might as well hand it all to them.

And be sure one bit: If it starts in aviation like this, other things like cars e.t.c. will follow.

My opinion on this is absolutely clear: Nobody who has a valid license, valid rating and valid medical should ever be banned from flying by anyone but those responsible for issuing the said documents. Otherwise, we may as well hand over any form of regulation to the insurances.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, MIm20c said:

Curious if it would be easier to maintain reasonable insurance with an sr22 vs ovation above 75. 

What about changing aircraft above 75 like ovation to acclaim?

I don't think you'll find much difference in underwriting opinion of the Cirrus and Ovation.

Ovation to Acclaim is probably doable, but you need to get clearance from your current underwriting company first...and keep that existing policy active.  Needs to be an add/delete rather than cancel re-write.

2 hours ago, steingar said:

@Parker_Woodruff I'm with Avemco right now.  Should I be thinking about a change? 80 is a long way off for me, but like they say, these things seem to move faster than we think.  I never want an insurer to tell me I can't fly my airplane.  My relatives are supposed to do that.

How old are you now?

1 hour ago, Urs_Wildermuth said:

I always thought to deny or grant the privileges of our licenses was the job of the FAA and the FAA only.

If insurances start to pick only good risks and leave all those they DEEM a bad risk (without or with reason) then in mid term then why do we have licensing and certification bodies at all? Might as well hand it all to them.

And be sure one bit: If it starts in aviation like this, other things like cars e.t.c. will follow.

My opinion on this is absolutely clear: Nobody who has a valid license, valid rating and valid medical should ever be banned from flying by anyone but those responsible for issuing the said documents. Otherwise, we may as well hand over any form of regulation to the insurances.

The FAA isn't involved in almost every prop strike, wingtip rash incident, etc.  But the insurance companies sure are.

The insurance companies aren't banning anyone...Most US residents can fly uninsured.  Just as US residents can self-insure for autos.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Parker_Woodruff said:

The FAA isn't involved in almost every prop strike, wingtip rash incident, etc.  But the insurance companies sure are.

The insurance companies aren't banning anyone...Most US residents can fly uninsured.  Just as US residents can self-insure for autos.

The four states where I've resided and had driver's licenses and tags, automobile insurance was required by the state or they would issue fines and take the tags back.

Not so with our planes. Insure or not, how much, what for, are all the owner's choice.

But the point being made above is that insurance companies are often declining coverage based entirely on the pilot's age, without regard to his flight experience or claim history, and that should not be--going bare can be devastating in the event of even a minor incident if another person is involved.

On 2/28/2021 at 9:21 AM, rotorman said:

Several years down the road for me to 80. But planning ahead. I've sunk a ton of money recently into my Mooney which I bought in 1994. I'm currently unhappy with how my KFC 200 is performing while attempting to follow the GTN 650's commands.  The autopilot computer was bench checked recently and deemed to be operating correctly. The system preflight tests correctly. But on a recent practice RNAV approach the Glide slope command bars happily were taking me to ground well short of the runway. AP disconnects are a frequent occurrence. There are other problems as well. Consequently, my confidence level has sunk to a new low.

But I digress. I don't want to sink more money into the airplane unless I'm assured I can continue to insure it long into the future. 

Go ahead.  Some young pilot will be happy to pay you 30 cents on the dollar for your invest:Dment 

2 hours ago, Oldguy said:

@Parker_WoodruffI just had an insurance person tell me Avemco is not insuring pilots with Basic Med. Any truth to that or just vicious hearsay?

First I have heard of that.  The most recent requirement I'd heard was BasicMed was fine but pilots over a certain age had to get an annual physical.  That was from someone who was quoted by them.

I don't know whether you saw my previous thread. I am 82. Parker could not find any carrier who would offer me hull insurance on my Mooney. Some would give me a policy if I flew a non-retractable plane. Liability policies are available.

I wound up buying a liability policy and self insuring the hull.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1