Import Mooney from US to Canada

Learreply

Hi,

I have found a Mooneys that I am very interested in purchasing and importing to Canada.

I was wondering if there was anyone on the board that has recently done this they would be interested in answering some questions about the process and sharing their experience.

Please PM me, or reply to this thread.

I have many questions but my 2 to start are;

1) a recommendation of an AME or organization that would be good to contract for the import. (I am in Alberta, Canada)

2) a ballpark cost of what it would be to import a M20 fresh out of FAA annual or any gotcha expenses. How much will the import inspection cost, and if there is things I can do myself like paperwork to keep the costs down.

Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've done it both ways, doing a lot of the legwork myself.

1) get someone to look at the logbooks before you commit, there are some real expensive 'gotchas'.    Engine must have been overhauled by a CRS, prop overhauled within last 10 years, STC's and paperwork properly done and recorded.  No '337' repairs or mods.  Fire certificates of interior products.

2) the logistics seem almost impossible to me in Covid times.

3) use an escrow agent, to hold the money and release on cancelation.  There is a sequence of removing the old registration, applying for cancellation, cancellation, notice to transport Canada,  re-registration, ferry permit etc.  Not easy.

4) in non-covid times it was easy enough arranging customs, just bring a big cheque/debit card / etc to pay the GST/HST .  Right now, who nows

5) it will cost you a proper annual, rectifying deficiencies and a DER inspection or two before getting a Canadian CoA.  See point 1 above, its the rectification of issues that is going to cost you.  I would not buy a plane without a really good set of paperwork and with minimal modifications.  Not worth the effort.

Aerodon

• Like 1

I’ve exported several Crop Dusters to Canada, factory new ones, zero time and it still wasn’t easy.

‘There are NO 337’s allowed. Lord knows how they get GPS spray guidance systems on crop dusters in Canada as none are on factory drawings etc.

‘I don’t think I have ever seen a US aircraft without some kind of 337, so how is it done?

However it’s done and of course done frequently, we hired an Agent to get it done, I would think that is your best bet.

Edited by A64Pilot

Plenty of experience documented around here...

Lots of money to be spent getting it done... it is a bit of a surprise what is needed...

There are two MSCs in Canada... Left and right sides of the country... that may have some good experience...

https://mooneyspace.com/search/?q=Import Canada&updated_after=any&sortby=relevancy&search_and_or=and

Best regards,

-a-

I was going to get a M20k from Canada back to the USA but with covid going on I would have had to hire even the ferry pilot to get it across the boarder. By the time i added up all the extra cost to decertify recertification etc it was going to be $20,000 on top of the $98,000 price. It was a good airplane but just not that good for me. Someone in canada it would be great deal. 

13 hours ago, Will.iam said:

I was going to get a M20k from Canada back to the USA but with covid going on I would have had to hire even the ferry pilot to get it across the boarder. By the time i added up all the extra cost to decertify recertification etc it was going to be $20,000 on top of the $98,000 price. It was a good airplane but just not that good for me. Someone in canada it would be great deal. 

You two should exchange numbers. 

5 hours ago, Will.iam said:

this was back in September 2020 I did not see the ad anymore and thus assume that the owner has already sold the airplane.

If it’s the one I remember, it did find a new Canadian owner.

Clarence

23 hours ago, Learreply said:

Hi,

I have found a Mooneys that I am very interested in purchasing and importing to Canada.

I was wondering if there was anyone on the board that has recently done this they would be interested in answering some questions about the process and sharing their experience.

Please PM me, or reply to this thread.

I have many questions but my 2 to start are;

1) a recommendation of an AME or organization that would be good to contract for the import. (I am in Alberta, Canada)

2) a ballpark cost of what it would be to import a M20 fresh out of FAA annual or any gotcha expenses. How much will the import inspection cost, and if there is things I can do myself like paperwork to keep the costs down.

Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It not really that difficult to import from the US, it’s a process, we’re doing a newer Cirrus as we speak.  

Aside from the usual measures before actually buying the airplane, a fresh Annual inspection in the US and issuance of an Export C of A by an FAA DAR, will void the need for another Annual in Canada.

Most FAA 337’s have been accepted in my experience.  The real difficulty is that most US logs and paperwork are a mess and require work to correct.

Happy to help out, pm me.

Clarence

Edited by M20Doc

I imported two aircrafts into Canada from the USA. The first one, a Cherokee back in 2007 and then my Mooney in 2010. Looking back, I can tell you that the first one was a learning experience and the second one almost went flawlessly!

So, the most important thing is to surround yourself with trustworthy and experienced people. From the inspector to your AME (A&P in the US) and the ferry pilot, go for the best and not the cheapest, cause in the end, you'll save money!

So the process is pretty straightforward:

1- Make sure you get the logs and inspect them for the correct history of the aircraft and inaccuracies in their reports. Once that is done, have the aircraft inspected in the US by your mechanic or one that is referred to you by AOPA or trusted people or organizations.

2- Ensure the contract is solid and use escrow service for payments and lien verification. In the case of the Mooney, the US seller bought the plane cash, so he didn't check for liens when he bought it. It ended up delaying the importation by 3 months since there was an outstanding lien, dating back to the 1970's, that tied the airplane to a defunct US bank. You won't be able to deregister or register the airplane if it has a lien. After some research, we were able to clear the lien.

3- Once ferried to your AME, you will have to perform an inspection to import and register, which is a little more elaborate than an annual inspection, so you might as well combine it with the annual. An approved Transport Canada inspector will have to review all the paperwork and sign it off. You will need to add whatever equipment is needed to register it in Canada (ELT 406Mhz, fire extinguisher etc...) and, with luck, all of the 337's repairs and equipments will be accepted. One important thing is that, in Canada, props have a ten year mandatory overhaul clause, so ten calendar years after the last overhaul (shelf life) you will have to spend the $5k or so to have it overhauled, whatever the total time.

So if you chose the right people to support your importation, if should go pretty smoothly. Total cost for the Cherokee, trying to save money, ended up at close to $10k while the Mooney was closer to $5k. My experience is that trying to save money and do it yourself could end up costing you dearly!

Good luck!

• Like 1