Exercise is hazardous to flying!

MikeOH

Well, crap!

Went cycling on Wednesday after work and some moron ran a stop sign and took me down just as I was finishing my ride.  A few scratches, but my ankle was pretty sore yesterday, couldn't put any weight on it.  So, went to the doc's today...yeah, it's broken and I'm going to be in a foot cast for SIX FREAKIN' WEEKS!  I'm not seeing any flying in the near future :(

So, my question is: How big a risk not flying my plane for six weeks?  It's hangared in southern California (KPOC) which is about 30 miles inland from the coast.  I'm not up for a 'full-on' pickle, but are there precautions I can take to minimize risk, which I'd presume to be cam corrosion?

Thanks!

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

Exercise is hazardous to your health..!  (So I have been told...)

There has got to be somebody around that wants to be your rudderman...

Flying every two weeks should warm the oil enough to drive out the evil moisture spirits...

The quality of your rudderman will depend on how fast you taxi... and how strong your cross winds are....  :)

Getting to the airport may be more of a challenge, if you have a clutch....    :)

Good luck with the recovery...

Best regards,

-a-

5 minutes ago, 201er said:

How many weeks of flying did you miss out on because of your little “exercise” mishap? 

Hmmm.....

Several... :)

My recovery is coming up on a decade...

Mike’s, Will be much sooner...

I got help from MSers to keep my plane and my skills active while I was less than able... (Thanks @Cris, Mike, Chris, Alan, NJMP and MS)

Go MS!

It’s a great community, It worked for me...

:)

-a-

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, hammdo said:

Really sorry to read you were hit... 6 weeks would be a tough hit... 

Maybe Pain and Suffering => new ifr package? 

-Don 

LOL!

But, I'm not the suing kind of guy.  As long as I get all the medical costs covered, I'm good.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, MikeOH said:

LOL!

But, I'm not the suing kind of guy.  As long as I get all the medical costs covered, I'm good.

I’ve never been hit, but about 10 years ago I was skating with some of the guys from my club on our normal Tuesday training route when a car swerved into the bike lane and hit the guy in front of me in the pace line. It took off the cars right mirror on his shoulder. We called the cops, when they showed up they asked “What do you want us to do about it” we said they could get the make, model and color and year of the car from the mirror. Go find one of those around here with a missing mirror. They said they didn’t have time for that sort of thing. So obviously hit and run is no big deal around here and the old game of getting points for hitting pedestrians, bikes and skaters is a valid activity in Phoenix. 

2 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

I’ve never been hit, but about 10 years ago I was skating with some of the guys from my club on our normal Tuesday training route when a car swerved into the bike lane and hit the guy in front of me in the pace line. It took off the cars right mirror on his shoulder. We called the cops, when they showed up they asked “What do you want us to do about it” we said they could get the make, model and color and year of the car from the mirror. Go find one of those around here with a missing mirror. They said they didn’t have time for that sort of thing. So obviously hit and run is no big deal around here and the old game of getting points for hitting pedestrians, bikes and skaters is a valid activity in Phoenix. 

That sucks!

The guy that hit me didn't run off, and the cops came and took a report, so I'm 'lucky' in that regard.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MikeOH said:

That sucks!

The guy that hit me didn't run off, and the cops came and took a report, so I'm 'lucky' in that regard.

Yeah, I saw the whole thing. The guy could have been playing with his phone and swerved, but it looked intentional to me. I was about 10 feet behind at the time. Either way the car didn't make any attempt to stop. I think he was screwing with us and misjudged his distance.

I got hit by a car when guy pulled out without looking, fortunately he wasn’t going fast and I was able to hold on to the hood long enough for him to realize he was running me over. I no longer pass in front of cars waiting to pull out, whether riding or walking.
I don’t ride anymore, personally I think a motorcycle is safer than a bicycle, because you can move with the traffic.

39 minutes ago, ArtVandelay said:

I got hit by a car when guy pulled out without looking, fortunately he wasn’t going fast and I was able to hold on to the hood long enough for him to realize he was running me over. I no longer pass in front of cars waiting to pull out, whether riding or walking.
I don’t ride anymore, personally I think a motorcycle is safer than a bicycle, because you can move with the traffic.

See, flying is one of our safer activities!

I do all of the above, but as I've gotten older, I do all of them with a lot more caution than I used to. They can all kill you. And in all of them your own personal level of skill must include looking out for those who are not as skilled.

Have you ever noticed that drivers that profess a high level of driving skill, not only exhibit all the hazardous attitudes the FAA talks about, but they brag about it.

• Like 1