service bulletin ovation landing lights

flysamo

coming out of annual. one item is lights M-20-286-000 SERVICE KIT LANDING/TAXI LIGHT MODIFICATION, does any body know what this change does to the wiring system and why needed / suggested. cost estimated a $750 to do. am planning to go to led lights

If you go to the Mooney website, you can download a copy of SBM20-286. Basically it calls modifications to alleviate possible heating of a connector due to undersized pins in the landing/taxi light circuits.

Service Bulletins are optional for Part 91 operations at the owner/operator's discretion.

I'd spend the money on LED lights which have a lower current draw and obviate the need for the change.

Skip

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cruiser said:

I would do one or the other. 

Definitely so something  IMG_0997.thumb.JPG.0f28b36fc09ced8ae17d013fef960797.JPG

Well, that got really hot to do that. Tefzel insulation is rated to 150C. Given this, it might be worth doing at least an inspection to determine if any damage has occurred.

makes the decision to convert to led lights easier, looking at installing 4 landing lights, does anybody know the difference in the amount of current draw of the led vs conventional light bulb. looks like aviation consumer will be doing an updated article on the led lights

On 2/26/2021 at 11:00 AM, flysamo said:

coming out of annual. one item is lights M-20-286-000 SERVICE KIT LANDING/TAXI LIGHT MODIFICATION, does any body know what this change does to the wiring system and why needed / suggested. cost estimated a $750 to do. am planning to go to led lights

If you are interested in Whelen Aerospace Technologies (WAT) LED landing and taxi lights, I am a dealer. I just shipped out a pair of Parmetheus Pro landing lights and Parmetheus Plus taxi lights for an Ovation on Thursday. Email me at gallagheraviationllc@gmail.com for a quote. You can call me too at 1-833-425-5288 and talk to me, a real person. Here is my website too https://www.gallagheraviationllc.com/whelen-aircraft-lighting.html

ParmetheusPlus_PAR36.thumb.jpg.e5b7fad16cf4ceb52e5d7c0d8eccdf95.jpg755445789_ParmetheusPro.jpg.f2db157656e19faf51b142bff1bba2b1.jpg

lights on order, supported one of our supporters on Mooney space, 2 landing lights and 2 taxi lights, since there are 2 lights in each wing, down loaded how to do article, thanks for MSC support and don't have to spend 750 on rewire. and use half the power. SEX DOES SELL

• Like 1

Did you order Qty. 4 of the Parmetheus Pro (the lower light in @OSUAV8TER's post above)?  If so, that light is only made in one form...it doesn't have a taxi and landing versions like its predecessors.  You will be SO impressed with the Pro's performance...a few pics below of my install last year.

IMG_2620.thumb.JPG.ea701f90b26df2f0bfb0911245208ed8.JPG

IMG_2622.JPG

IMG_2623.JPG

• Like 1

On 3/1/2021 at 10:22 AM, flysamo said:

lights on order, supported one of our supporters on Mooney space, 2 landing lights and 2 taxi lights, since there are 2 lights in each wing, down loaded how to do article, thanks for MSC support and don't have to spend 750 on rewire. and use half the power. SEX DOES SELL

I'll ship them on Thursday when I get more of the taxi lights in stock. 

1 minute ago, OSUAV8TER said:

I'll ship them on Thursday when I get more of the taxi lights in stock. 

Curious how everyone seems to sell the pros for the same price give or take a couple of bucks. Is that an agreement with Whelen or is there just no markup in them?

Skip

29 minutes ago, PT20J said:

Curious how everyone seems to sell the pros for the same price give or take a couple of bucks. Is that an agreement with Whelen or is there just no markup in them?

Skip

Whelen has a Minimum Advertised Price (MAP) policy (which is why you should add the light to the shopping cart for the quoted price). So between that, margin, and the market, it seems like there is little variability on that particular light. Other lights that's not the case. I try to stay very competitive with my pricing. Take a look at my Orion 500 price and I think I beat AS by like $40. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/26/2021 at 9:57 AM, PT20J said:

If you go to the Mooney website, you can download a copy of SBM20-286. Basically it calls modifications to alleviate possible heating of a connector due to undersized pins in the landing/taxi light circuits.

Service Bulletins are optional for Part 91 operations at the owner/operator's discretion.

I'd spend the money on LED lights which have a lower current draw and obviate the need for the change.

Skip

the numbers are in, Ovation led lights installed,2 lights per side. went with whelen light wat and taxi lights, its a major PITA to install, have a fat hand. Current drain with all lights on,  par 36 lights was 28 amps total with landing and taxi on, 7 amps per bulb. With  LED,s installed current dropped to 4 amps total. 1 amp per lights. impressed with results and not a real technical challenge for the average person to do 

• Like 3

Just for some comparison. Here is the WAT Parmetheus Pro versus the Aerolite landing light, I think their mid-range light. It's a big difference in the amount of light and the lenses that are on these high end LED landing lights. If you're interested in a quote for the WAT Parmetheus Pro, email me at gallagheraviationllc@gmail.com or you can visit my website at https://www.gallagheraviationllc.com/whelen-aircraft-lighting.html. Mooneys with mid-wing lights need the PAR-36 size. I took these photos with the exact same camera settings on my DSLR and did some minor color touch up in Photoshop. 

Edit_WATPro.jpg

Edit_Aerolite.jpg

• Like 1

I can give you a practical answer on the difference between incandescent and led. When I first got my aircraft it had incandescent lights all around. One night I was doing night currency landings. The alternator in the 231 is not great at generating sufficient charging current at idle, and of course during night pattern operations you are at idle about half the time. Pulling in to the FBO I managed to stall the engine, and the there was not enough left in the battery to turn over a warm engine in the middle of summer. Three flight instructors saw that and came out to help me push the plane in to the ramp. I have since installed LEDs for all the lights, nav, strobes, landing light, and the panel. I sometimes forget to turn the landing light off after takeoff, it shows no appreciable draw on the alternator to warn me, but since the lights last pretty much forever, it does no harm either. My home base is under a Bravo and as a matter of habit I turn the landing lights on for visibility, day or night, at the outer boundary of the Bravo. I would be surprised if the lights are drawing 1 amp, on or off does not make much difference according to my 930.

2 hours ago, jlunseth said:

as a matter of habit I turn the landing lights on for visibility, day or night, at the outer boundary of the Bravo. I would be surprised if the lights are drawing 1 amp, on or off does not make much difference according to my 930.

I turned my Whelen LED landing light on when it was installed in 2014. As far as I know, it's only been turned off twice since then, the first time was an hour into pitot static testing. No side effects . . . . other than forgetting to turn it on!  :lol:

• 1 year later...
34 minutes ago, Healthpilot said:

Has anyone tried Aeroleds vs Whelen on a Mooney Ovation?

Here is the new Whelen G3 versus the AeroLED. The G3 is $250 cheaper a lamp so save $1K and buy a lot of airplane gas with a better performing lamp. I have them in stock and have outfitted many Ovations and other Mooneys with dual PAR-36 lamps in each wing. I highly recommend a G3 landing and a G3 taxi in each wingtip.

Email me at gallagheraviationllc@gmail.com

https://www.gallagheraviationllc.com/whelen-aircraft-lighting.html<-- Buy the G3 here

G3_v_AeroLED.JPG

17 hours ago, OSUAV8TER said:

Here is the new Whelen G3 versus the AeroLED. The G3 is $250 cheaper a lamp so save $1K and buy a lot of airplane gas with a better performing lamp. I have them in stock and have outfitted many Ovations and other Mooneys with dual PAR-36 lamps in each wing. I highly recommend a G3 landing and a G3 taxi in each wingtip.

Email me at gallagheraviationllc@gmail.com

https://www.gallagheraviationllc.com/whelen-aircraft-lighting.html<-- Buy the G3 here

G3_v_AeroLED.JPG

How do they compare with Aero Lites which are selling at $155 each?

https://www.aero-lites.com/product-page/ultra-x-flood

image.png.329a3c12a9a1c87a68b0f237456a89e7.png

4 minutes ago, Healthpilot said:

How do they compare with Aero Lites which are selling at $155 each?

https://www.aero-lites.com/product-page/ultra-x-flood

image.png.329a3c12a9a1c87a68b0f237456a89e7.png

They blow Aerolites away. The photo you provided shows the Aerolite compared to a second generation Whelen Parmetheus Plus. The new Whelen (also WAT) G3 is the third generation and is two and a half times brighter than the second generation Parmetheus Plus.

Additionally, here is the G3 compared to the Aerolite when I took them out to the airport to compare. Same exact camera settings on a tripod (shutter, aperature, ISO, color balance, etc.). These three photos show the Aerolite, G3 LED landing light, and G3 LED taxi light. The first image is the G3 taxi light, second image is Aerolite, third image is G3 landing light.

Edit_WATPlusTaxi.jpg

Edit_Aerolite.jpg

Edit_WATG3Landing.jpg

• Like 1

I have the AeroLEDs and they are substantially brighter than the product Whelen was offering at the time.  Since then I believe both companies have moved to newer models.  I am very happy with the AeroLEDs.  I put in the regular version and not even the high output version - one set each of landing and taxi lights.  I light the place up like a Boeing coming in to land and have very good visibility on the ground.