WTB - Lead "Charlie" weights

spistora

spistora,

If unable to find pre-flown ones...

Expect that Mooney has them on the shelf...

They have been a common part for the Long Bodies.

Contact your favorite MSC...

Or find somebody that added a Fiki system, or AC... and took the lead bricks out of the tail...

Another way to add a few useful pounds to the back...

Get the battery swapped out with more capacity... extra electrons and a few extra pounds at the same time... :)

We have a few pre-flown parts suppliers around here... need a list?

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

10 hours ago, carusoam said:

spistora,

If unable to find pre-flown ones...

Expect that Mooney has them on the shelf...

They have been a common part for the Long Bodies.

Contact your favorite MSC...

Or find somebody that added a Fiki system, or AC... and took the lead bricks out of the tail...

Another way to add a few useful pounds to the back...

Get the battery swapped out with more capacity... extra electrons and a few extra pounds at the same time... :)

We have a few pre-flown parts suppliers around here... need a list?

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

Thanks, all good points.

I checked with a MSC this week and the weights are in stock at around $550 for the set.  I'm not opposed to purchasing them from Mooney but I thought I would check around for used. I have checked with Alan, Jerry and Paul with no luck, so off to the classified section for a few days to see what I can scare up.  If I don't get any responses here I plan to ordered them through a MSC before my annual. I am changing my battery this annual, so that's a good consideration also. 

2 hours ago, Hank said:

If you need it, I have some homemade lead "ingots" I can let go. But not my bullet-casting lead pot!

Have a sketch of what they look like?

Thanks.  It sounds like we have about the same setup.  I haven't cast bullets for years but have about 50lbs of lead and a small smelter.  I checked with the AP/IA that does my annual and he is checking on what it would take to make them as an owner produced part. I will have to find someone to get dimension from if we go down that path.

Have a look how they get bolted into place...

The Mooney part pretty much ensures that the weight doesn’t get loose...

See if you can get a picture...

There may be a lot more Charlie weights out in the wild... than we collectively remember...

If every Mooney has at least one... that means that Alan probably has a few on the shelf...

Best regards,

-a-

There is a little to it to get it right and line up with factory mounting holes and releive the bottom bar for the rivets on the tray.  Fortunately the holes already exist. 

If Alan has any, I'm sure it would be worth it to buy them from him. Unfortunately, he didn't have any when I checked.

20201106_053307.jpg

image.thumb.png.9d5929261b0727f88a8dad91b8e4ee9c.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, spistora said:

There is a little to it to get it right and line up with factory mounting holes and releive the bottom bar for the rivets on the tray.  Fortunately the holes already exist. 

image.thumb.png.9d5929261b0727f88a8dad91b8e4ee9c.png

The make-your-own route will be greatly simplified by placing a sheet of paper where the weight will go and run your fingers around. The paper will deform around the holes and ridges. Trim to size, cast the weight(s),  lay the paper over them and mark the holes with a nail. Remove paper and drill 'em out. 

The bonus is that you can increase the weight by making them thicker. And if they weigh too much, just drill some more holes into them, no need to go all the way through. 

• Like 1