Dip stick door hinge

Hey guys, my dip stick door hinge (67F) is really tired and needing to be replaced.  I’ve found that this hinge is 1.5” width fully open .040 stock that is available from spruce in 3ft sections.  

I want to just keep it simple and use counter sunk cherrymax rivets, but does anyone know the diameter river hole that came from the factory?  I would like to order the right size and have on hand rather than drill them to find out and order after the fact.

Edited by Browncbr1

24 minutes ago, Browncbr1 said:

Hey guys, my dip stick door hinge (67F) is really tired and needing to be replaced.  I’ve found that this hinge is 1.5” width fully open .040 stock that is available from spruce in 3ft sections.  

I want to just keep it simple and use counter sunk cherrymax rivets, but does anyone know the diameter river hole that came from the factory?  I would like to order the right size and have on hand rather than drill them to find out and order after the fact.

Without looking, I think they are #4 rivets. They take a #30 drill.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Browncbr1 said:

Yes, I was looking at one with a 2” reach, but for now I’m thinking to make use of my pop gun and air hammer/bucking blocks

If you have an air hammer and bucking block, why not use regular rivets? If you don’t have any clecos, get some 4/40 screws and nuts to hold them in place while you rivet them. You can do it pretty easy, you can reach through the hole to hold the bucking bar.  An 1/8 pound of rivets costs like $2. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Browncbr1 said:

Remember, Cherrymax rivets also need to be sized in terms of grip length.  You can't just order the correct diameter, you have to specify the grip length, and it's usually a good idea to measure that with all the materials in place.

I don't think Cherrymax rivets come in a diameter less than 1/8"

Cherrymax rivets are great if you have a reason to keep a bunch of different sizes and lengths in your shop.  There kind of annoying if you're using them for just one specific small application

1 hour ago, N201MKTurbo said:

If you have an air hammer and bucking block, why not use regular rivets? If you don’t have any clecos, get some 4/40 screws and nuts to hold them in place while you rivet them. You can do it pretty easy, you can reach through the hole to hold the bucking bar.  An 1/8 pound of rivets costs like $2. 

Impact riveting countersunk rivets is probably not a good first project :o  an air hammer is harder to control than a good rivet gun, too

• Like 1

Cherry Max rivets have their place and an oil door wouldn't be one of them. If your not comfortable squeezing or shooting rivets there a ton of videos to get you started in the right direction. Selecting the correct rivet can be confusing but then again YouTube and Google is your friend. Buying an 1/8 pound of rivets will give plenty of spares to practice with, surely there is someone of the field that can give you a hand, local EAA chapter would be a good place for advice/help as well 

Thanks for your feedback guys.  This is definitely not my first project.  Some of you might recall that I installed my 201 sloped windscreen STC under IA supervision.  I would prefer to use a squeezer with normal countersunk rivets.  The issue is I don't have access to that squeezer anymore and they are quite expensive for this tiny project.  I have used an air hammer (yes, air hammer is harder to control, but going easy and lightly will get the job done) and bucking bar in the past where the squeezer could not reach, and used cherrymax where things were blind.  I'm just thinking get it done with minimal investment.

My investment wasn’t too bad, got tired of borrowing stuff from my IA, made a list of what I thought I might need or have used in the past, added the wish list items to Spruce orders to get the free freight (3 orders). I think it was maybe $300 or $350. If you are like most on here you like working on your bird it’s nice not having to hunt things down 

image.thumb.jpeg.1f854d329eb45b18cc6906fe1e275fa1.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Flat rivet sets are tough to do one-handed, they tend to slide off the rivet, and then you can be left with a HUGE smiley :(

If you do have a 3rd hand, I've found the swivel flush rivet set to be cosmetically superior.  The face is truly flat, so you don't get the slight skin distortion from the slightly convex traditional flush rivet sets.  It really makes it look like the countersunk rivet was back-riveted for the truly anal :) 

https://www.aircraft-tool.com/shop/detail.aspx?id=181

Edited by jaylw314
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, RLCarter said:

My investment wasn’t too bad, got tired of borrowing stuff from my IA, made a list of what I thought I might need or have used in the past, added the wish list items to Spruce orders to get the free freight (3 orders). I think it was maybe $300 or $350. If you are like most on here you like working on your bird it’s nice not having to hunt things down 

image.thumb.jpeg.1f854d329eb45b18cc6906fe1e275fa1.jpeg

Wow, I can’t believe you got all that for 300..  when I was looking, it didn’t seem possible to put together a kit like that for that little cost.  Which kind of squeezer is that?   Did it come with the dimple dies and all?

2 hours ago, Browncbr1 said:

Wow, I can’t believe you got all that for 300..  when I was looking, it didn’t seem possible to put together a kit like that for that little cost.  Which kind of squeezer is that?   Did it come with the dimple dies and all?

Here’s an affordable deep-reaching hand squeezer for a good price. 

https://www.aircraft-tool.com/shop/detail.aspx?id=ATSRS-3

I had a partial collection of rivet sets and clecoes from when I was a kid. Amped them both up with kits I found on eBay. It’d be pretty easy to build a good set for $300 or less. 

• Like 2