Glad I cancelled my flight...

I fly out of KFWS.  If you look at this METAR, I am glad I decided not to go flying...:D

I guess I could ask Scott Dennstaedt about it.  Why my airport would have 101 kt winds and right next door they are 10 kts.  Highly localized!!!!  Makes it about a 77kt crosswind.  I think my C model can handle it.:D
Obviously this is an error.... But nothing better to do while I wait for my dog to have an MRI.BF599A45-DD28-4356-AA0F-25F5FB4F6823.thumb.jpeg.3040660b6a61ddd31a363a81c510cb93.jpeg

• Like 2

You know this is a great title for a thread.  We should post this every year and call it "I'm glad I cancelled my flight 2021".  "I'm glad I cancelled my flight 2022".  And we post if we have such an example of a good aeronautical decision making.  We should all be glad we have cancelled a flight sometimes and self talk and community thinking community affirmation on this matter is good for us.

Well done. I know this flight wasn't dangerous, but its a great title.

• Like 3

Side story. I had a great uncle who had an aircraft way back when, before I was born, probably in the 20’s or 30’s, that’s the 1920’s or 30’s. The family story was that it was called “the Maytag” because the engine sounded like one when it ran. It reputedly did fly backwards fairly often.

30 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

When I was a scrawny shirtless kid at Oshkosh, I walked by the official weather sensor pole. I held a cigarette lighter under the temp sensor. They reported a high temperature of 115 that day....

But now that you are an old cooter shirtless guy hanging out on strange nerd forums like this, I have one recommendation for you.  Time to get a shirt.

2 hours ago, aviatoreb said:

But now that you are an old cooter shirtless guy hanging out on strange nerd forums like this, I have one recommendation for you.  Time to get a shirt.

Or get friends that don’t take a picture of you without a shirt just after you got up out of a wet sleeping bag under a piece of plastic that caused the humidity to condense on the bottom of the wing and drip on me all night...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, tmo said:

But how's the dog doing?

Well, thanks for asking but not very well.  He is a chihuahua.  Lost function of his left hind leg.  Chihuahua's are notorious for knee problems.  We have one other that has had 3 surgeries on his hind legs for the equivalent of a torn ACL in a human and luxated patellas.  Well, we thought that may be what was happening to this guy but no luck.  He has cancer of the sacrum that is impinging on his sciatic nerve which caused the loss of function in his hind leg.  Apparently we can put the dog through all kinds of grueling treatments including chemotherapy and radiation but it will only prolong the inevitable and make the dog miserable.  So we have decided to enjoy the time we have with him while he is still happy and feeling ok.  He is getting along on 3 legs quite well but eventually we will lose him.

The one that had the three surgeries is running around wonderfully like nothing ever happened.

In the photo, the dog on the left is the one that had the three knee surgeries and the dog on the right is the one with the recent cancer diagnosis.  Great dogs both of them.  They both love to fly with me and both run out to the end of the wing tip when we park and greet the linemen at the FBO's.

Sad day indeed.

Dogs in a Blanket 003 (2).jpg

• Sad 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/24/2021 at 6:29 PM, jlunseth said:

Side story. I had a great uncle who had an aircraft way back when, before I was born, probably in the 20’s or 30’s, that’s the 1920’s or 30’s. The family story was that it was called “the Maytag” because the engine sounded like one when it ran. It reputedly did fly backwards fairly often.

Many years ago the lawnmower would start, my Grandmother told me to take the pug out and put gasoline on it and reinstall it and it would start.

‘I told her that will likely work, but how in the world do you know that?

She told me that is what she had to do to get the washing machine to run.

So the Maytag may have had a gasoline engine.

• Like 1