Mooney down in Livermore

On 2/24/2021 at 11:55 AM, Nukemzzz said:

“Small plane misses runway”. 

I almost missed a runway once!! :o

I was new pilot returning from a summer weekend flight of rafting on the Kern River, East of Bakerspatch [Bakerfield, CA]

It was hot, tons of bugs in the air, I was tired [lesson learned] and in need of fuel.  My first trip into Bakersfield airport.............controller gave me a right base for 30, cleared to land. On short final, tower asks me "what are your intentions"?  WOW, I'm a new pilot, exhausted, bug city, short final, no headset back in those days [long ago and far away.....:wacko:].  My brain said "huh"? 

So I respond, I'm cleared to land on 30 Bakersfield.  Controller says........for your information, our runway is marked with the numbers 30, you're about to touch down on the taxiway!!!  Yikes!!! Slight flight path correction was made.

It would have been fun to be a fly on the wall in the tower once the controller released the PTT button on his mic.  :D

Some things we just don't ever forget!!!  :(

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Hyett6420 said:

you can clearly see that the Car hit the plane not the other way around, the bent nosewheel is the give away.  Good job Pilot, well done.  Excellent job Mooney for building such a strong plane that the pilot and passenger even survive a car crash.  

I think the airplane's right wing hit the back of the car and it turned the airplane into the front of the car.   

2 hours ago, MooneyMitch said:

I almost missed a runway once!! :o

I was new pilot returning from a summer weekend flight of rafting on the Kern River, East of Bakerspatch [Bakerfield, CA]

It was hot, tons of bugs in the air, I was tired [lesson learned] and in need of fuel.  My first trip into Bakersfield airport.............controller gave me a right base for 30, cleared to land. On short final, tower asks me "what are your intentions"?  WOW, I'm a new pilot, exhausted, bug city, short final, no headset back in those days [long ago and far away.....:wacko:].  My brain said "huh"? 

So I respond, I'm cleared to land on 30 Bakersfield.  Controller says........for your information, our runway is marked with the numbers 30, you're about to touch down on the taxiway!!!  Yikes!!! Slight flight path correction was made.

It would have been fun to be a fly on the wall in the tower once the controller released the PTT button on his mic.  :D

Some things we just don't ever forget!!!  :(

If it makes you feel better... when I was about 7 years old sitting in the back of my dad's C175 (with my bother and two sisters by the way...it was different times). I remember he was in the pattern for an airport at Las Vegas when he discovered it was actually a prison and not the airport.  lol

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Nukemzzz said:

If it makes you feel better... when I was about 7 years old sitting in the back of my dad's C175 (with my bother and two sisters by the way...it was different times). I remember he was in the pattern for an airport at Las Vegas when he discovered it was actually a prison and not the airport.  lol

No joke!

There's a prison right near the end of malone airport near here - KMAL and off the end of that runway is franklin correctional facility.  Kind of distracts the eye if you ever want to land in a prison ball field.  I love a way point for the approach into KMAL by the way - Bugsy is the name of the way point to Malone.

• Haha 2