Looking for Magneto shop in Southeast U.S.

0TreeLemur

Our C is going in for annual and I'm looking for a good shop to IRAN both mags in the S.E.   I have seen a couple of shops in FL advertising in Trade-a-Plane.  Prefer to not ship too far to minimize travel time and just in case of something like an ice storm.    I have searched MS and I read that there are excellent shops in MT, CA and WA.   Any recommendations in this corner of the country?   I'm in Alabama.

Thanks

-Fred

There are several well known independent mechanics that do magneto work in Florida. We have to, because most specialty magneto shops really aren't very good. They're slow, expensive, and the quality is lacking. Maxwell's Magnetos in Palm Coast FL is one exception to the mediocre shop rule.

I've done all my own mag work for 15 years because of the quality issues with most magneto repair stations. The worst work you will ever see comes from FAA Part 145 repair stations. They can hire monkeys to do the work, so long as they have one guy to sign it off.

• Like 1

In 2019 I used Aircraft Ignition Services located NE of Dallas in Honey Grove, Texas (not to be confused with Aircraft Magneto Service that @jetdriven recommends).  AIS overhauled my mags and I also purchased new Maggie ignition harnesses from them.  Phone conversations before and after made me feel like I had selected the right shop.  Happy with their results and speed.

https://www.aircraftignitionservices.com/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, jetdriven said:

Take $40 hit on shipping and send them to Aircraft Magneto service in Missoula Montana. For one thing they're probably cheaper, for 2 they do fantastic work. And they stand behind their product.

Would suggest the same about Aero Accessories (KVNY).  They haven't IRANed my mags (YET!) but did a great job IRANing my alternator.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ZuluZulu said:

Would suggest the same about Aero Accessories (KVNY).  They haven't IRANed my mags (YET!) but did a great job IRANing my alternator.  

I used aero accessories (kvny) dropped off on Monday at 1030 called me on Tuesday at 0900 for cc info and to verify address, magneto at my door Wednesday at 1200. But across the way from Alabama.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Hank said:

You do realize, @0TreeLemur, that if your C has Slicks like mine does, that the factory is on the east side of Montgomery? Can't get much closer to T-town than that . . . . Although it is a little closer to me, about as far away as Auburn is. :P

That's interesting.  Didn't know that.  Is the factory an IRAN option? 

The amazement continues from how much aerospace industry there is in AL.

1 hour ago, 0TreeLemur said:

That's interesting.  Didn't know that.  Is the factory an IRAN option? 

The amazement continues from how much aerospace industry there is in AL.

My right mag is about to go there next month. It's a short drive ftom 08A where my IA is based 

21 hours ago, ZuluZulu said:

It’s funny you mention that, the guys in Montana won’t do the dual magneto but the guys at Van Nuys did, 550$ out the door and it’s also super fantastic. 

• Like 1

On 2/23/2021 at 6:55 PM, Nokomis449 said:

In 2019 I used Aircraft Ignition Services located NE of Dallas in Honey Grove, Texas (not to be confused with Aircraft Magneto Service that @jetdriven recommends).  AIS overhauled my mags and I also purchased new Maggie ignition harnesses from them.  Phone conversations before and after made me feel like I had selected the right shop.  Happy with their results and speed.

https://www.aircraftignitionservices.com/

This place was awesome! Needed an ignition harness called a more well known (better advertised) name company told it was a 12 day lead time after 13 days they hadn't even charged my card for a single harness. Read this post decided to give them a call last Thursday placed an order, told 3 business days then drop shipped. Called cancelled the original order. Got both harnesses shipped cheaper than the other place.  Here it is Monday and sure enough as promised, harnesses delivered. Very pleased. Now I can get the plane put together and annual complete. Heres to Mooneyspace the network and knowledge!

20210301_180235.jpg

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Jeph,

The MS world continues to expand...

I found another Mooney pilot... on the other end of Asia this time....  :)

Great pirep!

Let’s reorganize Maggie...

-a-

7A61DED6-ED7C-489A-B4F9-8479EFB794EE.jpeg

Will try harder with the orientation....

On 2/24/2021 at 4:42 AM, ArtVandelay said:

Last time this came up, this guy was recommended:

2949b0c4307e14df7a25e7c4b304a6b5.jpg

Don is local to me at Cannon Creek and rebuilt my Bendix's in an afternoon. EXTREMELY competitive pricing. IIRC I paid $450 for him to IRAN both with new points, contacts, wipers, etc, etc, etc. Of course he was a mile away so no shipping....

I highly suggest him. He also builds and overhauls engines and has been a staple in North/Central Florida for quite a while.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jeph357 said:

This place was awesome! Needed an ignition harness called a more well known (better advertised) name company told it was a 12 day lead time after 13 days they hadn't even charged my card for a single harness. Read this post decided to give them a call last Thursday placed an order, told 3 business days then drop shipped. Called cancelled the original order. Got both harnesses shipped cheaper than the other place.  Here it is Monday and sure enough as promised, harnesses delivered. Very pleased. Now I can get the plane put together and annual complete. Heres to Mooneyspace the network and knowledge!

20210301_180235.jpg

Ha!  Looks like you took out all the swag before taking the picture!  I got a hat, keychain, and special wrench to tighten leads.  Harness works good too.

8 hours ago, Ragsf15e said:

Ha!  Looks like you took out all the swag before taking the picture!  I got a hat, keychain, and special wrench to tighten leads.  Harness works good too.

Timeout, I didn't get any bling!  All I got out of them was quality workmanship, friendly communication, and fast shipping!  ;)

33 minutes ago, Nokomis449 said:

Timeout, I didn't get any bling!  All I got out of them was quality workmanship, friendly communication, and fast shipping!  ;)

Jeez, budget cuts?  I looked through all that stuff and decided I’ve got enough, so now my mechanic is a walking billboard for Maggie Ignition!

27 minutes ago, Ragsf15e said:

Jeez, budget cuts?  I looked through all that stuff and decided I’ve got enough, so now my mechanic is a walking billboard for Maggie Ignition!

Well I think I was one of their first Maggie purchasers because they said they'd just recently become a distributor.  So they must've taken my profit and purchased y'all's bling.  Sooo...  you're welcome!  :))

2 hours ago, Nokomis449 said:

Be glad! I bought and installed a harness with 90° ends and was happy for 2-1/2 years. At annual last year, New IA found the harness was about to come apart because it had been made wrong and couldn't be tightened. He checked and found the same defect on another plane. Both harnesses were remade after only a few weeks.

And I still don't have any swag . . . .