uavionic new stuff

Yetti

I find the new avionics amazing.  Looking at my logs, out of the factory in 1964 Charlie Dugosh installed marker beacon, DME, Dual Comms, Nav with glideslope, ADF, and autopilot... but no transponder.  I guess everyone gave position reports.  Now we can see traffic (not all) on our Ipads or map display.   By the way, the DME weighed 21.2 lbs.  

• Like 1

On 2/23/2021 at 10:26 PM, DMM said:

I find the new avionics amazing.  Looking at my logs, out of the factory in 1964 Charlie Dugosh installed marker beacon, DME, Dual Comms, Nav with glideslope, ADF, and autopilot... but no transponder.  I guess everyone gave position reports.  Now we can see traffic (not all) on our Ipads or map display.   By the way, the DME weighed 21.2 lbs.  

I agree- it is amazing the technology we have today compared to what was in our birds.  And that 21.2 lb DME could probably toast bread!

• Like 1

On 2/23/2021 at 10:25 PM, carusoam said:

So...

I went to YT to check for evidence...

Dick had a plane...

But it didn’t last very long...

:)

-a-

Funny I like how both men in the plane duck instead of flying the plane.:o  I hate to be a Monday morning quarter back but he could have flown between the trestles and still crashed it would have been more believable.   Well I digress and my career as a critic never really took off.:lol:

• Haha 1

On 2/27/2021 at 7:21 PM, 0TreeLemur said:

I agree- it is amazing the technology we have today compared to what was in our birds.  And that 21.2 lb DME could probably toast bread!

The transistor has made this possible.  Here's a, frankly, incomprehensible statistic regarding that technology:

In 1965 there was one transistor produced per person per year.

In 2017 there was 56,000,000,000 produced per person per year.  And the cost of one transistor is 1000 times less than the cost of a single grain of rice.

Cite: https://www.darrinqualman.com/global-production-transistors/

• Like 2

On 2/23/2021 at 11:00 PM, PeteMc said:

They're hoping to be big in the Canadian and other markets that require Diversity ADS-B units.  It will be interesting to see if they really can do it in that small of a package.

They are not building diversity transponders (yet).  The location of the tailbeacon means its antenna can “see” the sky and can reply to Aieron  satellite interrogations.  

For those unfamiliar-

If you look just aft of the red label saying "low band" you'll see what look like little oblong cans. Those are the "crystals" you would buy that were tuned to the transmitting frequency you wanted to use. I had to buy a 119.3 crystal for mine so I could talk to VNY tower. This was long before even 360 channel GA radios were available let alone 720. There were only a couple dozen frequencies used for towers all over the country.

You could go to your local food market and "test" all the tubes  (those round glass thingies) to find the bad one and buy for replacement. Each one of those tubes had a heating element in them so it could emit electrons (to deep into ancient electronics for this note) but suffice to say you could heat the cabin with the heat from them :-) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, cliffy said:

For those unfamiliar-

If you look just aft of the red label saying "low band" you'll see what look like little oblong cans. Those are the "crystals" you would buy that were tuned to the transmitting frequency you wanted to use. I had to buy a 119.3 crystal for mine so I could talk to VNY tower. This was long before even 360 channel GA radios were available let alone 720. There were only a couple dozen frequencies used for towers all over the country.

You could go to your local food market and "test" all the tubes  (those round glass thingies) to find the bad one and buy for replacement. Each one of those tubes had a heating element in them so it could emit electrons (to deep into ancient electronics for this note) but suffice to say you could heat the cabin with the heat from them :-) 

You are missing 2 crystals, you are not using the full capability of the radio?

I remember as a kid going to hamfests to find cheap crystals for my transmitter.

• Like 1

The Mark II was an advanced model. Before that was the VHT 3 Superhomer. You would transmit on the “guard” frequency say for tower or FSS and request a “short count” so you could tune in the freq. they were broadcasting on.  The VOR worked sort of if you were close enugh to see the VOR station.

In Eric Hartman’s book when they were about to be overrun by the Russian’s, he took out his radio from behind the seat and put his mechanic in its place and flew West.

Not sure how big and heavy the radio was but it certainly wasn’t small.

On 2/23/2021 at 8:26 PM, DMM said:

I didn't realize that they had DME in GA  planes in '64.  21.2 lbs :blink:

27 minutes ago, jamesm said:

I didn't realize that they had DME in GA  planes in '64.  21.2 lbs :blink:

It was a Narco UDI-2R with ground speed meter. Fancy stuff for 64.  It must have had a big power supply since the ADF only weighed 10.4 lbs. Ad in Flying magazine listed the cost at $2550 (in 1964 dollars).  

• Like 1

Some of the older 2 way Motorola radios...   Past the tube versions.  Would get filled up with cement dust riding around in the cab of a cement mixer truck.   The old radio tech told us to go hose them off and get a brush after them.  Then we just set them in the Texas sun for a couple of days.   Worked like new.

On 2/23/2021 at 11:25 PM, carusoam said:

So...

I went to YT to check for evidence...

Dick had a plane...

But it didn’t last very long...

:)

-a-

So not only did they crash head-on into the trestle in a plane made out of wood, they fell a few hundred feet to the bottom and walked away from the burning wreckage, hats in hand, and called it a day.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, flyboy0681 said:

So not only did they crash head-on into the trestle in a plane made out of wood, they fell a few hundred feet to the bottom and walked away from the burning wreckage, hats in hand, and called it a day.

Yep! Ain't life grand?

Does anyone know how difficult it is to change squawk codes on the tailbeacon-X? I know it’s done through a panel mounted device like the AV-30, but is it cumbersome to do, as in three pages into a menu and scroll and select with the z axis of a button cumbersome?