Governor installation question.

Will.iam

I got my governor back today and an A&P is going to help me install it. Looking at the mccauley installtion manual, it calls for Dow Corning #7 release compound grease. My A&P had never heard of it.  Is there a substitute I can use? Aircraft spruce doesn’t even sell it. Amazon is out of stock, ebay is out of stock. No body seems to have this so i was wanting to know what did you guys use when you had to reinstall your governor?  Can you just use simple vacuum grease? Aeroshell #22? Aeroshell #5?
thanks. 
Will

7 minutes ago, Will.iam said:

J'ai récupéré mon gouverneur aujourd'hui et un A&P va m'aider à l'installer. En regardant le manuel d'installation mccauley, il réclame la graisse de démoulage Dow Corning # 7. Mon A&P n'en avait jamais entendu parler. Y a-t-il un substitut que je peux utiliser? L'épicéa d'avion ne le vend même pas. Amazon est en rupture de stock, ebay est en rupture de stock. Aucun organisme ne semble avoir cela, alors je voulais savoir ce que vous avez utilisé lorsque vous avez dû réinstaller votre gouverneur? Pouvez-vous simplement utiliser une simple graisse à vide? Aeroshell # 22? Aeroshell # 5?
Merci. 
Volonté

Today "Molykote 7", demolding agent.

1 hour ago, Will.iam said:

We r going to use DC#4 thanks everyone. One more question. Does anybody have a parts diagram of the governor install we need to verify the gasket part number and are there only one gasket or two separated by a plate like lycomings?

Check the engine parts catalog for the correct assembly.  BTW, Lycoming IO-360-A3B6D uses the spacer but the -A3B6 does not.

Skip

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PT20J said:

Check the engine parts catalog for the correct assembly.  BTW, Lycoming IO-360-A3B6D uses the spacer but the -A3B6 does not.

Skip

Thanks but we are findibg that continental is not as parts friendly in showing a diagram as Lycomings. The A&P is very familiar with lycomings but not so much with continental especially the TSIO 360mb engine. Even a fellow a&p googling a search could not find a diagram of the parts assembly and mccauley install instructions only have words no pictures and doesn’t list part numbers so no way to verify the gasket is the correct one or if it needs 2 instead of one. The old gasket is a different part number so we are assuming its been superceeded but hard to know for sure without a parts diagram. 

5 hours ago, Will.iam said:

Thanks but we are findibg that continental is not as parts friendly in showing a diagram as Lycomings. The A&P is very familiar with lycomings but not so much with continental especially the TSIO 360mb engine. Even a fellow a&p googling a search could not find a diagram of the parts assembly and mccauley install instructions only have words no pictures and doesn’t list part numbers so no way to verify the gasket is the correct one or if it needs 2 instead of one. The old gasket is a different part number so we are assuming its been superceeded but hard to know for sure without a parts diagram. 

Have you seen Continental's parts catalog? Here is their IPC and it's very good; however it does not list the governor since that's more up to the aircraft manufacturer.

When I had mine overhauled the overhauler included the gasket. I'd suggest calling whomever overhauled your governor and asking them what to use.

On 2/24/2021 at 3:15 AM, Will.iam said:

Seeing if the doc is familiar with this one...

@M20Doc  (details/pic for a Continental TSIO 360MB, Mccauley gov installation question... gasket question)

Best regards,

-a-

36 minutes ago, M20Doc said:

The AA9144 screened gasket and DC4 on both sides if you don’t have DC7.  The prop shop I use sends a small vial of DC7 with each governor.

Clarence

Thanks doc. I’ll pass that on to him. How do you know AA9144 is the correct part number. I. E. Where is that documented?

His point being how can an A&P tell the FAA that he installed the governor per blank blank manual when there isn’t one. Keeps the liability off the manufacturer and leaves the A&P open to fault since he can’t check the orientation, part number or how many parts are in the assembly. 

sad how litigation lawyers and people who look to blame anybody but themselves have really discouraged people helping out other people. 

I looked through the manuals and also drew a blank.  There are a few versions of paper gaskets used by both engine manufacturers, the one I quoted is a standard gasket but has a built in screen to protect the governor.

Clarence

• 1 year later...

Bringing this topic back up.   Currently in the process of having the 82'J A3B6D overhauled and attending to the details.   When I removed the governor prior to sending the engine to the shop I found a single gasket.   Examining carefully it seems likely to be two gaskets of the 72053 type that have since become as one.   Disappointing to say the least.      I see the LW-12347 'plate' available from Spruce for a whopping $90.

This is the best explanation I have found as to WHY the stack-up thickness is important:  https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?p=1120922#post1120922

Has anyone laid hands on the 'existing spacer' depicted in the M20-120 service instruction who might describe it in terms of material and thickness? 

Edited by skykrawler

1 hour ago, skykrawler said:

Bringing this topic back up.   Currently in the process of having the 82'J A3B6D overhauled and attending to the details.   When I removed the governor prior to sending the engine to the shop I found a single gasket.   Examining carefully it seems likely to be two gaskets of the 72053 type that have since become as one.   Disappointing to say the least.      I see the LW-12347 'plate' available from Spruce for a whopping $90.

This is the best explanation I have found as to WHY the stack-up thickness is important:  https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?p=1120922#post1120922

Has anyone laid hands on the 'existing spacer' depicted in the M20-120 service instruction who might describe it in terms of material and thickness? 

My understanding of the "why" is that the drive on some governors is slightly long and may prevent the governor from fully seating, which leads to leaks.   I've no idea whether that's completely correct, but this made sense to me.

Here are my notes and a pic from when I did this a couple of years ago:

Propeller governor gasket for Lyc IO-360-A3B6D, Lyc SI 1438A shows three-stack, two gaskets and a plate.   The plate, Lyc pn LW 12347, is a piece of Al about 0.0385" thick, that can be cut using the gasket pn 72053 as a template.   See pics from 06/14/2020.   See also Mooney SI M20-120.  Screened gasket is P/N MS914401

image.jpeg.42f8d953fbc4fc14d9843f8b91aadca6.jpeg

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Pinecone said:

That is a weird thickness.

Typically, al sheet comes in 0.032" and 0.040"

On mine and in every pic I've seen of one they look heavily brushed.   I suspect it starts out as 0.040" and once somebody runs it over the brush wheel a couple times it's a little smaller.