How to fly safely in severe icing without FIKI - Go small.

aviatoreb

• aviatoreb changed the title to How to fly safely in severe icing without FIKI - Go small.

Flying those darn things is way harder than a real plane... OTOH the downside of any mishap is so much less... But yes, can be great fun, and you can do aerobatics ;-)

They even have real jet powered ones...

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Nick Pilotte said:

So did you pick up any visible icing or did it all fall off on descent to land?

It was snowing lightly the whole time.  But the forecast was for icing - and we went flying that little corsair anyway.  Fortunately we didn't seem to pick up any icing and no one was hurt when making that video.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Sounds electric!

-a-

It is - its an amazing little airplane - it has an autopilot-like system like ESP on garmin that keeps you in flight envelope while you are still a beginner - which you need to turn off if you want to do aerobatics.  It has the power to weight ratio to climb straight up.  Scott put a camera on it and made some videos in flight.  Scott grew up flying these things.  I keep crashing them....  so this one I'm not allowed to fly...

We are standing on the frozen lake behind the house.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hank said:

I've been looking for one on floats, having a hard time. Small electric floatplanes are rare . . . .

20180101_144952.thumb.jpg.7c005de490c2eefecf7176cd3d71f697.jpg

Beautiful

I guess we need one on skis?

I bet one on floats is pretty advanced for handling the take-offs and landings properly and not flipping on landing especially.  That's a frozen lake behind my house so its liquid during the summer.

Speed boats are fun too.  They can be really fast and fun to zoom around and corner like a banshee.

I have been thinking about an RC sail boat.  A serine way to spend a lazy afternoon sitting in an Adirondack chair tacking an RC boat off in the sparkly water.

E

1 hour ago, aviatoreb said:

I bet one on floats is pretty advanced for handling the take-offs and landings properly and not flipping on landing especially.  

It's not only model floatplanes that can be challenging. "I hit a log on landing . . . "

This happened near my house yesterday. 

https://www.wsfa.com/2021/02/23/small-plane-crashes-coosa-county/

:(

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Hank said:

I've been looking for one on floats, having a hard time. Small electric floatplanes are rare . . . .

20180101_144952.thumb.jpg.7c005de490c2eefecf7176cd3d71f697.jpg

they are out there...one of my favorite foamies is the FMS PA/18 1700 mm super cub...comes with floats and oversized wheels...good performance on 3300 mah 4 cell lipo availble at chief aircraft

• Like 1