How far would you go?

55 minutes ago, ArtVandelay said:

You do if you’re in the flight levels, which based on your screen name I assume is often.

Not as often as you might think. Hardly worth it unless you are going 300 miles or better.

There was one time I was flying back from San Fran and there was some weather along the way. I was on top at 17000 and the clouds were rising, so I asked for higher. Some other Mooneyspacer posted later that day "I heard you request FL190, I was under it all getting beat to death". Its a small world out there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mufflerbearing said:

All excellent points!  We are heading down to Scottsdale AZ for the Barrett-Jackson auction which will be the longest small plane flight my wife has taken.  We have flown several times to Salinas CA and she enjoyed that.  Scottsdale is just 5.5 hours but GA will be a bit more of an adventure. 

Just curious....You got your eye on something in the auction or just going as a spectator? :D

I try to always fly my airplane when possible.  I enjoy flying, especially stopping at smaller airports with small FBO's.  Meeting new people, etc... but I really do not like the crowds at commercial airports.  Not so bad now with coronavirus but I hate the fact that I would have to get to a flight 2 hours before departure just to stand around in a line at TSA and wait for someone to search me.  And a lot of the time you are with other people that outside the airport may be quite nice but when put in a crowded busy space become something totally different....like too many hamsters in  a cage.

24 minutes ago, Greg Ellis said:

Just curious....You got your eye on something in the auction or just going as a spectator? :D

It's a great car show!  Then if there is something that I like and the price is right, then I buy it.  My next unicorn car is a '65/'66 Shelby GT350.  I just purchased a car that I am picking up in 2 weeks.  It's in customs jail and has served half of it's sentence.  The new car is a 997.2 GT3RS in Aqua Blue with the white gold.  Don't have much of an itch for another new one right now, but you never know!

• Like 1

My next flight to Europe will be by Mooney.  I'm hoping my next flight to Central America will be too.  I have to admit though, that flying is part of my holidays and built into them.  Were it not central to the holiday and the distance great, I'd consider commercial travel.  The tube got me to Guatemala faster and cheaper than I could do it in my Mooney.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mufflerbearing said:

All excellent points!  We are heading down to Scottsdale AZ for the Barrett-Jackson auction which will be the longest small plane flight my wife has taken.  We have flown several times to Salinas CA and she enjoyed that.  Scottsdale is just 5.5 hours but GA will be a bit more of an adventure. 

I’ve always wanted to go to that auction, I watch it on tv unbelievable vehicles more so unbelievable prices.

2 hours ago, Danb said:

I’ve always wanted to go to that auction, I watch it on tv unbelievable vehicles more so unbelievable prices.

If you are into cars at all, this is a really fun circus to watch and be a part of.  Friday and Saturday are always stupid money and money goes up when the cameras go on.  Sundays there are good cars but the money goes home Saturday night. 

I would imagine that the fun factor is like Oshkosh for pilots.  I have never been, yet... Hopefully this summer?

• Like 2

Flying commercial with a family... is more of an adventure....

Always getting left short...  connections never work when you have a family of four...

either driving, or waiting for the next day... or cab/Uber...

Go Mooney!

No security lines... no kids tripping on escalators... no ID checks... no lost luggage... no long walks to/from parking lots... no separation anxiety...

My family doesn’t know how long a flight they have been on... they only remember the first and last 10 minutes... :)

They awake fresh and ready to go...

our usual plan is to stop half way... around every 2hours... or so...

Nothing less fun than sitting in the back of a commercial plane wearing a mask... next to random ordinary people... they’re afraid every one else has the virus...

It really helps when you are the one with the PPL, and IR, and decades of experience...   when you are are new to the game, take it easy.... minimize the surprises...   and bring home a C4 convertible Vette for the misses....  :)

make it fun for everyone... so you can do it again a bunch of times in the future...

PP thoughts only, not a miracle worker...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Amelia said:

TSA ignored my military orders and not-a-security-risk designation, rifled my single carry-on and fondled this old granny.

I’ve had the pleasure of a knee and hip replacement, so one of the many reasons I would much rather fly my Mooney than fly with the airlines is I don’t have to put up with the prison entry treatment every time I need or want to fly.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DonMuncy said:

Don't forget the "pocket knife" factor. Flying commercial means that I have to try to remember to leave it in the car, risk a quarter mile hike back to put it in the car, or the risk for losing it to TSA.

I have that problem too. Made several hikes, lost one to TSA and gave one away just before the security line.

2 hours ago, Hank said:

I have that problem too. Made several hikes, lost one to TSA and gave one away just before the security line.

Mine was so bad that back when I was flying commercial a lot with my employment, I had a special place in a rock garden in the terminal at Love Field where I could hide mine until I returned later in the day.

• Like 1

Definitely take your plane.  I flew my J form Vegas to Tampa all the time now I do the same in my 310 almost once per month.  It makes no financial sense but especially now its much more enjoyable, beautiful and calming as log as you are not on a tight schedule.  Have fun!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hank said:

I forgot once a few years ago. I went and found a planter in the airport and stuffed the knife in it. Figured I forfeit to TSA or take the chance. 
It was there when I got back!