Never been but going to Sun N Fun need info

cliffy

Planning on going to S n F but know nothing about it. OSH yes S n F No.

Found a rental near by ( 9 miles away) but know nothing about the show.

Any info greatly appreciated.

I presume the big name air shows are on the weekend but I'll be there the first 3 days. 

2 hours ago, cliffy said:

Planning on going to S n F but know nothing about it. OSH yes S n F No.

Found a rental near by ( 9 miles away) but know nothing about the show.

Any info greatly appreciated.

I presume the big name air shows are on the weekend but I'll be there the first 3 days. 

I should be there most of the week, and will be a volunteer at the Silverwings cabin. A great place to meet up with people.

SNF isn't Oshkosh, but we are all excited for an in-person event this year!  There's Enterprise Rental Car on the field if you need a car - they always set up a temporary location.  I have also enjoyed using Sheltair there if you want to base at the FBO.  Airshows daily, and they have one night airshow like Oshkosh (I think it's on Tuesday or Wednesday night).  We've previously used Plant City as an easier alternative to fly into with rental cars available on-site.  Feel free to message me directly if you have any questions, and be sure to swing by and say hi at the Garmin tent!

• Like 1

Sounds like you are flying to SNF? If so, there are several airports in the area within about a 15 minute drive to KLAL and have rentals on site. KBOW is southeast of KLAL (usually the cheapest 100LL), KZPH is a bit northwest (home of Hawk Painting), and as @KLudwick said, Plant City is just to the northwest as well.

If you are flying into KLAL, there will be NOTAMs coming out well before the show. Pretty easy to read and follow, but it will always help to have a second pair of eyes with you, if possible.

Camping or renting a place to stay? Both are relatively easy to find, but a rental car may be required for staying at a hotel. I think there is a thread in MS about someone camping this year, so you may look them up for additional info.

Check out flysnf.org for some good info on everything including when the air shows are scheduled, exhibitors, map of the grounds, etc.

See you there!

Like KOSH...

Find the Notam, get it printed....

Remember to print the sign to communicate where you are going...  GA Camping....

Don’t forget to print the list of who is going to be where...   :)

One of these days we’re going to print bright MS shirts...

Hey... MSer 12:00,... HI!   :)

-a-

• Like 2

I’ve never been to OSH, but go the SnF since I’m so close.  Couple of tips:

buy your tickets before hand one the website and make sure to the get EAA discount.

Understand that it’s a target rich environment for food, so expect stupidly high prices. Bring your own drinks and snacks if you can.

if you like homemade root beer, buy the way too expensive refillable cup option.  You Will be surprised how much you drink. 

If you are in the market for parts, walk all the vendors before buying the first “good deal” you walk up on.  Shop each one, then go back. It takes me at least one full day to walk the vendors.

bring your own chairs for the air shows. Simply not enough wings to hide under from the viewing area. 

expect it to rain at least once or twice on you. 

if you are a veteran, Check in at the vets booth.  You can get water and snacks for free during the show.

it will be hot. Hats and sunscreen are a must. 

if you need XC oil, it simply does not get any cheaper than the case prices from the Philips tent.  I don’t use Shell, so I don’t know what they do. Same with CamGuard, but also shop around the vendors.  It won’t be the cheapest at the Camguard booth. 

if you are a home builder, you’ll prob never leave that area honestly. The classes run continuously. 

that’s about all I can think of.  I always drive down and rent a VRBO somewhere in the area. With three kids and the wife, we have too much crap to bring to fly. 

• Like 2

Flying into KLAL for SnF can be an adventure, for sure. If you're coming for a couple of days and camping, you have time to plan it and get there around weather, etc.  Since I live just an hour away in north Florida, I always plan a day trip just to check out the sights and in particular whichever mondo mach-diamond-streaming jet-team demo is performing.  This year I think the Blue Angels are scheduled...fingers crossed.  Also, it's my one time of year to shed a few patriotic tears as they play "Proud to be an American" while heritage planes fly overhead. I know, schmaltzy, but it gets me.

In addition to all the info above, this comment goes to anyone planning on just a day trip...check to see if they are keeping the General Aviation Parking (GAP) day trippers parked up close to the event and along the show line.  They started this in 2019 and it was an amazing improvement for the day trippers.  No longer are you taxing for miles after you land, to park in the far eastern areas that require either a 20 minute wait for a shuttle or a 20 minute walk in the Sun before you get to the Fun. This means you can also load up on supplies in the hangars and tote them back to the plane before the air show starts.  And as soon as the airshow is over, you can hop in your plane and be on your way.  I do hope they keep that policy this year!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, cliffy said:

Is  there any list of exhibitors for this year?  

I'm having trouble finding one  Maybe its just my computer skills  :-)

Also interested if they have any rotorcraft (autogyros ) there Just looking this year

It is in the double secret list....  :)

-a-

https://flysnf.org/exhibits/current-exhibitors/

I've got the wheels and brakes from a crashed McCulloch gyroplane gathering dust in the hangar. 

Of course most have never heard of such an animal. Just a wet spot in aviation history. 

They look like 500-5 Clevelands +master cylinders and pedals

Picked them up 40+ years ago.